• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info help on a Batman 1 New 52 variant
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I've been collecting the variants and additional prints of the new 52 Batman #1, and this variant (pics below) wasn't even on my radar - I found it at Half Price Books today for $2. I was able to find out that it's the " Batman 80th Anniversary Special Edition 1" from 2019, and the lone eBay listing I found says it was from SDCC 2019. GoCollect has a listing but no real info. KeyCollector and CovrPrice don't have a listing that I've found.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows more about where it was distributed, possibly how many there might have been given out, etc.? Just looking for any additional info to better know about the book.

The front is fairly clean, but unfortunately the back has a couple of bad tics and some color rub and is very fingerprinted (it's a glossy black card stock, I might try to wipe it down with microfiber or something).

IMG_1216.thumb.JPG.6b94d1b6a6771e94f71ca08dd1242ed9.JPG

IMG_1217.thumb.JPG.9489042f7de929a569e32967e6e9367a.JPG

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.f32ef2ab74618650c791010e3cb9a420.JPG

Different sits categorize this thing in different ways:

• The CGC Census calls it the "Batman 80th Anniversary Special Edition", noting that it reprints Batman #1 (11/11) [that is to say, Batman v2 #1]; this is distinct from the two variants of the "Batman 80th Anniversary Special Edition" that reprint the 1940 book.
  • MCS considers this a variant of Batman v2 (2011) #1, labeling it as #1SPECIAL.
  • I agree that Key Collector doesn't seem to list it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fairly sure this was indeed an SDCC 2019 promotional. Absolutely no idea how many might have been distributed. It's probably about the same rarity as other SDCC Batman stuff. May have attracted a little less attention than the 1940 reprint, just because that probably felt like a sexier book than a reprint of something from just eight years prior?

On 4/13/2024 at 4:30 PM, Qalyar said:

Different sits categorize this thing in different ways:

• The CGC Census calls it the "Batman 80th Anniversary Special Edition", noting that it reprints Batman #1 (11/11) [that is to say, Batman v2 #1]; this is distinct from the two variants of the "Batman 80th Anniversary Special Edition" that reprint the 1940 book.
  • MCS considers this a variant of Batman v2 (2011) #1, labeling it as #1SPECIAL.
  • I agree that Key Collector doesn't seem to list it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fairly sure this was indeed an SDCC 2019 promotional. Absolutely no idea how many might have been distributed. It's probably about the same rarity as other SDCC Batman stuff. May have attracted a little less attention than the 1940 reprint, just because that probably felt like a sexier book than a reprint of something from just eight years prior?

Thank you! I could luckily tell right away when I saw it that it was some kind of New 52 version based on the logo and the credits, so for the price it was a no-brainer to grab it, even with the condition issues. I did see there was a "Batman Experience" exhibit at SDCC 2019, so I assume it was either distributed there or at some panel.