• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 31 No cover
3 3

14 posts in this topic

I'm negotiating a Detective Comics 31 without a cover already classified CGC, does anyone know if I can send a reproduction cover along with it and send it to ReHolder, or do I have to break the CGC and place the pages inside the reproduction cover and send it for the evaluation process?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by mateus menor

• Administrator

Let me try to find out.  I believe the cover has to be attached to the book but, I am not 100% sure.

• Administrator

I have asked the Vice President of comic graders, and the operations manager.  The reproduction cover has to be attached.  I am waiting on answers as to how, and still receive a blue label.  

Here is my question:

How should it be attached?  I have read a few older threads on the forum regarding this.  The consensus was, it had to be attached with tape.  If this is correct, can it be done with archival tape and still avoid a purple label?

On 4/15/2024 at 6:42 PM, mateus menor said:

Can {I} send a reproduction cover along with it and send it to ReHolder, or do I have to break the CGC and place the pages inside the reproduction cover and send it for the evaluation process?

The ReHolder service will not be available because you're altering the already encapsulated copy.  Hence, any "new" submission with a reproduction cover will be regraded and encapsulated with a new serial number.  However, the newly certified book will still be assigned a NG grade.

If you insist on going forward, the reproduction cover should ideally be attached using the original staples that are currently holding the interior wraps.  However, I see no real downside to using cellophane/Magic tape, as this specific coverless copy is already very heavily taped.  Examples:

x7.thumb.jpg.50cd51d7c193382bfe5ab3d920e0c803.jpg x1.thumb.jpg.0634055e7c20064407baba07bb25d6ca.jpg x4.thumb.jpg.e0b12163c5a380fce9e86652002ec71e.jpg x4b.thumb.jpg.c0060ee9d9b933b49b4e9b5edfbda872.jpg

On 16/04/2024 at 11:31, zzutak said:

O serviço ReHolder não estará disponível porque você está alterando a cópia já encapsulada. Portanto, qualquer “nova” submissão com capa de reprodução será reclassificada e encapsulada com um novo número de série. No entanto, o livro recém-certificado ainda receberá a nota NG.

Se você insistir em seguir em frente, o ideal é que a capa de reprodução seja fixada usando os grampos originais que prendem as embalagens internas. No entanto, não vejo nenhuma desvantagem real em usar celofane/fita mágica, já que esta cópia sem capa específica já está fortemente gravada. Exemplos:

x7.thumb.jpg.50cd51d7c193382bfe5ab3d920e0c803.jpg x1.thumb.jpg.0634055e7c20064407baba07bb25d6ca.jpg x4.thumb.jpg.e0b12163c5a380fce9e86652002ec71e.jpg x4b.thumb.jpg.c0060ee9d9b933b49b4e9b5edfbda872.jpg

I understand, I'll wait and see what Vice Precidente responded to Mike, but it's probably the same thing you said

• Administrator
On 4/16/2024 at 12:52 PM, mateus menor said:

I understand, I'll wait and see what Vice Precidente responded to Mike, but it's probably the same thing you said

Hi

I ended up going to the President of CGC.  This is what he said.  

Ideally the repro cover would be attached with the original staples—the staples would be removed, the re-inserted through the cover.

But I see this copy has brittle pages, which may pose a problem with staple removal. In that case, we would use archival tape to attach it.

Best thing to do is have us attach it for him. The book will have to be regraded though, but I can offer to do the attachment for no extra charge.

You would submit the cover and the book (still in the holder) to CGC pressing and choose the removal service + grading. I’ll waive the removal fee once I get it.

On 4/16/2024 at 2:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Ideally the repro cover would be attached with the original staples—the staples would be removed, the re-inserted through the cover.

But I see this copy has brittle pages, which may pose a problem with staple removal. In that case, we would use archival tape to attach it. In that case, we would use archival tape to attach it.

Best thing to do is have us attach it for him. The book will have to be regraded though, but I can offer to do the attachment for no extra charge.

You would submit the cover and the book (still in the holder) to CGC pressing and choose the removal service + grading. I’ll waive the removal fee once I get it.

Thank you very much Mike, it really is a very good offer, I'll think about it and see what I do

On 4/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

But I see this copy has brittle pages, which may pose a problem with staple removal. In that case, we would use archival tape to attach it.

I have a question in regards to a copy of a GA comic I have without a cover (Raw). Is it possible or a service to have CGC place the reproduction cover on it? The condition of the book is most certainly not brittle, however, I have no experience whatsoever in taking the staples out to attach the cover. I would just prefer to have CGC slab it with this reproduction cover rather than without one. Any information is much appreciated. 

• Administrator
On 4/25/2024 at 8:58 PM, Koschei said:

I have a question in regards to a copy of a GA comic I have without a cover (Raw). Is it possible or a service to have CGC place the reproduction cover on it? The condition of the book is most certainly not brittle, however, I have no experience whatsoever in taking the staples out to attach the cover. I would just prefer to have CGC slab it with this reproduction cover rather than without one. Any information is much appreciated. 

Hi

This is a good question. I do not believe it is listed under our services but, that does not mean that we won't do it.  According to the info Matt gave me above, you would choose CGC pressing, the removal service plus grading.  The screenshot below shows $35 for Vintage (pre 1975) and I believe there is a handling fee plus the grading fee.   Let me check with management to see if we can do this for you before doing anything.  

Mike

image.png

• Administrator
On 4/25/2024 at 8:58 PM, Koschei said:

Hi

I spoke with the team.  I was told by Matt that you could choose restoration, and he would charge you $50 to attach the repro cover.  Plus, you would have to select grading, and that cost would depend on which tier you choose.  If you decide to have this done, be sure to PM me, and I will assist in making sure this is properly submitted.

Mike