• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to get a complete comic book
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello my name is Adam and I have been collecting comic books for many years since I was a kid but I still consider myself new to someone who quit collecting for many years and then got back into the hobby to try and finish an X-men grail run.  So basically I am finally done with the grail run I mean I am missing some straggler books but have all the keys and many of them in high grade because I bought them 20 years ago when they weren't quite as expensive.

That said I have an X-men #1 that I just got which the cover is in reasonable shape but it is missing the splash page #1 and an advertisement page #12.  And it has some structural issues like the centerfold is detached, page #16 and page #5 are not attached (the other sides of #1 and #12) so the cover looks a lot better than the interior but there is no tape or anything like that.  So I am a stickler for not having comics with structural issues or missing pages or pieces.  I have fixed up a number of comics by using mending tissue or even getting like a missing page so the comic is complete and by taking the comic apart and putting the staples back in.  I guess since I am stickler having an incomplete book or a book with structural issues in the collection really bugs me.  I would rather have a complete structurally sound comic with a bunch of dings to the cover than a higher grade comic but the cover is detached at the bottom staple.  So I guess what I am asking is what is the best thing to do with this X-men #1?  Should I get the missing page #1 and page #12 and try to attach those to the other pages using mending tissue and then try putting together a complete comic (which would result in a married grade but still have most of the original pages)?  Or should I get a coverless copy and attach the decent condition cover to it (which would result in a married cover)?  Or should I just leave it alone and go for the standard 0.5 cgc grade if it is missing two pages?  But that is not really what I want to do because I do not like incomplete books either.  All my other X-men from #2 to #543 are all complete I believe.  I have a few with minor structural issues but not many (#46, #53, #63) all the other books are probably around 5.5 - 6.5 and higher it is a decent condition collection but another reason why I would like the books to be kind of similar too but no way can I afford an X-men #1 5.0 it is just way out of my budget.  Then again if I can get a 2.0 qualified as two pages married or cover married that would be good enough for me.

s-l960 (3).jpg

s-l960.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l960 (1).jpg

Edited by adamgf01

On 4/17/2024 at 3:01 AM, adamgf01 said:

Hello my name is Adam and I have been collecting comic books for many years since I was a kid but I still consider myself new to someone who quit collecting for many years and then got back into the hobby to try and finish an X-men grail run.  So basically I am finally done with the grail run I mean I am missing some straggler books but have all the keys and many of them in high grade because I bought them 20 years ago when they weren't quite as expensive.

That said I have an X-men #1 that I just got which the cover is in reasonable shape but it is missing the splash page #1 and an advertisement page #12.  And it has some structural issues like the centerfold is detached, page #16 and page #5 are not attached (the other sides of #1 and #12) so the cover looks a lot better than the interior but there is no tape or anything like that.  So I am a stickler for not having comics with structural issues or missing pages or pieces.  I have fixed up a number of comics by using mending tissue or even getting like a missing page so the comic is complete and by taking the comic apart and putting the staples back in.  I guess since I am stickler having an incomplete book or a book with structural issues in the collection really bugs me.  I would rather have a complete structurally sound comic with a bunch of dings to the cover than a higher grade comic but the cover is detached at the bottom staple.  So I guess what I am asking is what is the best thing to do with this X-men #1?  Should I get the missing page #1 and page #12 and try to attach those to the other pages using mending tissue and then try putting together a complete comic (which would result in a married grade but still have most of the original pages)?  Or should I get a coverless copy and attach the decent condition cover to it (which would result in a married cover)?  Or should I just leave it alone and go for the standard 0.5 cgc grade if it is missing two pages?  But that is not really what I want to do because I do not like incomplete books either.  All my other X-men from #2 to #543 are all complete I believe.  I have a few with minor structural issues but not many (#46, #53, #63) all the other books are probably around 5.5 - 6.5 and higher it is a decent condition collection but another reason why I would like the books to be kind of similar too but no way can I afford an X-men #1 5.0 it is just way out of my budget.  Then again if I can get a 2.0 qualified as two pages married or cover married that would be good enough for me.

s-l960 (3).jpg

s-l960.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l960 (1).jpg

Same as you, low grade is fine but an incomplete book is just inacceptable... id prefer 100× a ripped cover but a complete book rather than the contrary.  

I have maybe another option but i have any idea of Marvel books value so... 

What about selling your book and buy a complete one with the funds? 

How much could be the additional money in the process? Because if its a reasonable ammount that s probably the best way.

It might be difficult, but keeping it will be a great exercise in patience. If you really like the book and you don't forsee selling it, you're probably better off waiting to find a coverless one for parts - and that could take years. Marrying together an X-Men 1 might cost more than it will be worth once it's complete, but depending on what you want to spend on an X-Men 1 - that should make your choice more clear.

I'd probably slab it once it's married, just so any future buyer will at least be made aware of what is and isn't in the book - rather than trying to keep it raw.

(1) auction off the cover (only).
(2) auction off the centerfold (only).
(3) auction off the interior remnants that remain (as a lot, paying careful attention to identifying what those pieces are -- eg: interior wrap #x of 8, interior leaf #x of 16, etc).
(4) use the proceeds to help fund the purchase of a complete copy.

On 4/19/2024 at 9:35 AM, zzutak said:

(1) auction off the cover (only).
(2) auction off the centerfold (only).
(3) auction off the interior remnants that remain (as a lot, paying careful attention to identifying what those pieces are -- eg: interior wrap #x of 8, interior leaf #x of 16, etc).
(4) use the proceeds to help fund the purchase of a complete copy.

Killer ideas everybody I am doing something similar that I had toa decent 181 but it has a married 7th wrap but now at least I have a complete 181 although it kind of sucks that it has a married wrap but it's good enough for me fnow ha ha!  Although I used it have it slabbed in a 9.4 CR/OW ouch!  Yeah might just auction off slabbed pages and keep the cover and try to get a coverless copy.  That cover has real potential it is not missing any pieces it does have some prettty extensive rips that I cannot really do anything about though but with the spine roll taken out with a press and some cleaning it is going to look really nice.  Thanks for all your help everybody it really helps 'nuff said!

On 4/19/2024 at 9:28 AM, shadroch said:

I'd start by contacting Keith Richman

Yeah where the heck is Keith Richman?  Maybe he has the two missing pages ha ha ...

On 4/20/2024 at 11:44 AM, adamgf01 said:

Yeah where the heck is Keith Richman?  Maybe he has the two missing pages ha ha ...

Maybe he has the rest of his comics in a basement, or would like his book back.

Edited by shadroch

On 4/20/2024 at 2:44 PM, adamgf01 said:

His name is written on the cover of your comic book.

There are a few coverless copies for sale online at the moment.

Congrats on completing your run of X-men.

Make sure whatever you decide to do make you happy in the long run.