• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link - Shadowhawk Gallery Page

8 posts in this topic

The current Comic Link auction has a Shadowhawk Gallery 1 page in it.  The page was penciled by Jim Valentino and inked by Brad Foster.  So, it isn’t a Jim Valentino and Chance Wolf page.

Here is the page:

RAD93CD22024321_101451.jpg

The page is from a book that was published in April 1994.  

The auction has 28 days left and the current bid is $700.00.  The page sold for just south of $400.00 in August, 2023.

Shadowhawk art is hard to gauge due it not coming up for auction that often, and the character didn’t hit the same way that the other Image founder’s books did in the early 1990’s.

Was the price in 2023 the outlier or is the current price?  Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Edited by Lucky Baru

Looks like Randy Queen and Brad Foster are credited as the inkers. From what I understand, Brad Foster did the detailed backgrounds for these books- the buildings and what not. I'd imagine Randy Queen inked the figures. Could be wrong. But yeah, at any rate, Chance isn't credited on this issue.

The page has a current bid of $1255.00.

(I should state that I am not the seller/owner of the page.  I have always like Jim and Chance’s work on the character.)

Posted (edited)

I’m wondering if the same buyer is interested/bidding on the Dale Keown Shadowhawk “unused” trading card at HA.com that ends tomorrow. hmCurrently at $1800.00.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/dale-keown-shadowhawk-unused-trading-card-illustration-original-art-comic-images-1992-/a/322417-49146.s

Edited by Lucky Baru

It seems like when Jim Valentino is penciling, it really drives the price up. I've chased a few Valentino (non-Shadowhawk 90's pages) and I think he's a fan favorite.

I picked up this DPS awhile back for $450 after it sat unsold for months, which was pencilled by Kirk Van Wormer (Vampirella/Shadowhawk book 1 from 1995). I thought it was a great action page, which is why I bought it and was surprised it hadn't moved - which makes me think the price on CLink is more about the artist than the character.

VampirellaShadowhawk1DPS.thumb.jpg.cd4c5e642c51c322117e23ed0ec52564.jpg

@Dr. Balls

I don’t think anyone disputes that the driving force is that Jim penciled it.  Throw in that it is an early Image piece and it becomes more desirable.  However, Chance Wolf didn’t ink it and it sold for $396.00+- in 2023 at HA.com.  Maybe it sold under the radar in that auction, 2 people really want an “earlyish” Shadowhawk piece at this point in time, or something else is going on. (shrug)

On 4/24/2024 at 1:29 PM, Lucky Baru said:

@Dr. Balls

I don’t think anyone disputes that the driving force is that Jim penciled it.  Throw in that it is an early Image piece and it becomes more desirable.  However, Chance Wolf didn’t ink it and it sold for $396.00+- in 2023 at HA.com.  Maybe it sold under the radar in that auction, 2 people really want an “earlyish” Shadowhawk piece at this point in time, or something else is going on. (shrug)

Yeah, the two-people-bidding scenario is a average killer. That's probably the likely explanation - but man, what a jump in price.