• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Did This Book Sell for So Much?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2024 at 6:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It could get a 5.0 grade from CGC but not a 6.0 grade. The mistake is in thinking that eBay bidders are rational. People's bids are usually driven by emotions—not wanting to "lose" since the auction houses have brainwashed people into thinking that a willingness to pay more for an item than anyone else on the planet makes you a "winner," FOMO (fear of missing out), mania due to bipolar disorder (which is often followed by depression and suicidal ideation over having spent too much money), etc.

And that's if it's a real sale. With eBay, you never know.

I have spent most of my time gathering knowledge and in most cases, underpaying for things. Yes, on occasion, I have overpaid because I had the spare cash or really wanted something bad. But, I’m a keeper not a flipper so due to the passage of time, I now laugh at most of those overpayments.

Now, if I were to get depressed or have suicidal thoughts over something like this, I would have some real world problems to address before I would continue to buy junk…

On 4/30/2024 at 12:02 PM, Robot Man said:

I have spent most of my time gathering knowledge and in most cases, underpaying for things. Yes, on occasion, I have overpaid because I had the spare cash or really wanted something bad. But, I’m a keeper not a flipper so due to the passage of time, I now laugh at most of those overpayments.

Now, if I were to get depressed or have suicidal thoughts over something like this, I would have some real world problems to address before I would continue to buy junk…

You're probably not bipolar. A bipolar person has no control during a manic episode and might easily get into a bidding war and pay, say, $10K for a $1K book. That's the kind of financial recklessness that can lead to suicide once the manic episode is over. According to the NIH, between 25% and 60% of bipolar people attempt suicide at least once, and between 4% and 19% ultimately succeed.

On 4/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You're probably not bipolar. A bipolar person has no control during a manic episode and might easily get into a bidding war and pay, say, $10K for a $1K book. That's the kind of financial recklessness that can lead to suicide once the manic episode is over. According to the NIH, between 25% and 60% of bipolar people attempt suicide at least once, and between 4% and 19% ultimately succeed.

Nope, I’m not bi anything. Nor would I have trouble getting help if I needed to. I long ago gave up gambling, street racing  and fighting. Or anything that gives me a quick but fleeting thrill. And way smart enough to not bid crazy money on a comic book just to be “the winner”…