• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMAZING EC original art coming to Ha.com in June 20th auction

16 posts in this topic

I suspect this is from the Roger Hill collection, there is a great video which is attached to this auction which is a tribute to him. The Haunt of Fear #14 is my favorite horror cover...some great wally wood Galaxy art etc...just wow. What do you think that ec horror cover will bring. What is the record price for a EC horror cover, I know Russ Cochran sold one for 100K it was a crypt cover years ago???

I don't gamble, but if anyone wants to donate a lottery ticket to my cause of insane art desire:

C/O grapeape

Company : Locked Out of Cabal

111-needcash/inflow avenue

Sunny, Southern California 9205-dough

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 12:22 PM, Captain ShipWreck said:

agreed I don't see that happening at all.   I give it no chance of surpassing that.

Edited by Bronty

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 1:03 AM, Mmehdy said:

do we know the record price for a non-frazetta EC cover...I think that price is about to be broken in this auction 

What is it you think would break that record?   The Haunt #1 cover? 

Edited by Bronty

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 12:13 PM, Bronty said:

Haunt #14 is considered one the greatest horror covers ever by Ingles ....there was a separate print made of that many years ago, I think by Russ Cochran, also I talked to Russ about the cover, one his Favs along with WS and the story art to "By George" by Al Williamson. 

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/14/2024 at 3:44 PM, Mmehdy said:

Haunt #14 is considered one the greatest horror covers ever by Ingles ....there was a separate print made of that many years ago, I think by Russ Cochran, also I talked to Russ about the cover, one his Favs along with WS and the story art to "By George" by Al Williamson. 

I don't see that coming close to 840k.

I'd rather have the #1 cover tbh.    Maybe I'm alone in that.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:13 PM, Bronty said:

When it was originally sold by Cochran, the Haunt of Fear # 1 cover by Johnny Craig (numbered # 15) didn't actually go for much (about $800, I think).  Generally, the strongest prices were for the Ingels covers.

I was the first-time buyer of Haunt # 6 by Craig (who did most of the early covers), for $650 . . . and later got the Haunt # 13 cover (Ingels) in trade with another collector.*

*  Both covers long gone from my collections.

Edited by The Voord

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 2:04 AM, The Voord said:

When it was originally sold by Cochran, the Haunt of Fear # 1 cover by Johnny Craig (numbered # 15) didn't actually go for much (about $800, I think).  Generally, the strongest prices were for the Ingels covers.

I was the first-time buyer of Haunt # 6 by Craig (who did most of the early covers), for $650 . . . and later got the Haunt # 13 cover (Ingels) in trade with another collector.*

*  Both covers long gone from my collections.

Thanks for that context.    Forgetting how they did then, what's your sense of how they would do now?    I think there would be less of a gap between Ingels and Craig today, especially with Craig having been the artist for some of what are now considered the pre-eminent EC covers (CSS 20 and 22, etc).   

I also think there is a far greater #1 / first issue premium in the hobby in general today (both in comics and in comic artwork).

But, EC artwork is not my specialty - your thoughts?   How does Haunt #1 do today?

Edited by Bronty

On 5/21/2024 at 3:18 PM, Bronty said:

Thanks for that context.    Forgetting how they did then, what's your sense of how they would do now?    I think there would be less of a gap between Ingels and Craig today, especially with Craig having been the artist for some of what are now considered the pre-eminent EC covers (CSS 20 and 22, etc).   

I also think there is a far greater #1 / first issue premium in the hobby in general today (both in comics and in comic artwork).

But, EC artwork is not my specialty - your thoughts?   How does Haunt #1 do today?

Well, I'm not that active in the marketplace these days, so don't really scrutinize sales trends. When I'm seeing artworks I'm not even aware of, never heard of, or even care for going for nutty prices, I can no longer make an informed opinion on such matters!

For me, Ingels will always outshine Craig on Horror covers.  Yes, Craig was responsible for things like the notorious covers you mention, but those are exceptions due to graphic content. 

You may well be right about # 1 covers carrying a premium these days, but at the time of the Cochran EC art auctions most collectors were hip to the quality of the art, not the issue number.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:42 AM, The Voord said:

Well, I'm not that active in the marketplace these days, so don't really scrutinize sales trends. When I'm seeing artworks I'm not even aware of, never heard of, or even care for going for nutty prices, I can no longer make an informed opinion on such matters!

For me, Ingels will always outshine Craig on Horror covers.  Yes, Craig was responsible for things like the notorious covers you mention, but those are exceptions due to graphic content. 

You may well be right about # 1 covers carrying a premium these days, but at the time of the Cochran EC art auctions most collectors were hip to the quality of the art, not the issue number.

agreed, I remember the first EC auction with WS cover going for 1200 and the second going for 1000.

On 5/21/2024 at 8:57 PM, Mmehdy said:

agreed, I remember the first EC auction with WS cover going for 1200 and the second going for 1000.

I used to own the Weird Science # 2 cover but got that in trade some years later.

Another early EC Horror cover I bought directly from Russ was Vault of Horror # 3.  Got that one for, I think, $640.  VoH was Craig's Horror title . . . he defined the look of the Vault Keeper. . . . same way Ingels defined the Old Witch, and Jack Davis the Crypt Keeper . . . even if artists like Craig and Feldstein did the early covers.