• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank of 1940's Captain Marvel (Shazam) VS Superman
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So the history is that Captain Marvel (Shazam) was #1 for a few years in the 1940's and exceeding Superman.  

How would you rank Shazam's significance as a character today in DC Comics?  If Superman and Batman are "A" level characters.. where is Shazam/Captain Marvel ranked? 

Feel free to throw in some other characters who are "A" "B" "C" and "D" level characters from the Golden Age and today

Edited by Shazam500

On 5/7/2024 at 7:38 AM, Robot Man said:

Isn’t Capt Marvel a female now? 

Thinks Capt Marvel is  non-binary :whistle:

On 5/6/2024 at 8:46 AM, Shazam500 said:

So the history is that Captain Marvel (Shazam) was #1 for a few years in the 1940's and exceeding Superman.  

How would you rank Shazam's significance as a character today in DC Comics?  If Superman and Batman are "A" level characters.. where is Shazam/Captain Marvel ranked? 

Feel free to throw in some other characters who are "A" "B" "C" and "D" level characters from the Golden Age and today

Thank you for starting this thread...much more to come.

Marty

I wonder what would have happened if Captain Marvel came out  before Superman? The Shield came out before Captain America but it made no difference. Captain America had a much better origin story and an extraordinary first cover.

With Superman, I think the Sci Fi origin was probably a little more appealing that Captain Marvels supernatural origin, in hindsight. At the time I don't think it mattered.

Not sure how he would rank today against the current Superheroes but the Golden Age CAPTAIN  MARVEL will always be

my favorite.  From the first copy I picked off the newsstand in 1944, CAPTAIN MARVEL was always my choice over anything

else.  I didn't buy my first SUPERMAN COMIC until late 1945.

Here are my original newsstand copies both in still pretty good shape.

IMG   CAPTAIN MARVEL #34  (200 dpi)     .jpg

IMG   SUPERMAN #36  PAC (200 dpi)     .jpg