• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walter Simonson was moving...
1 1

29 posts in this topic

In his own words:
"The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans #1. Walter Simonson/pencils.Terry Austin/inks. 24.3 x 19.3. 1982.
Moving can be stressful and soul sucking, but sometimes, you find a drawing that you haven’t seen in decades. And that’s okay."

On 5/7/2024 at 10:28 AM, MagnusX said:

In his own words:
"The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans #1. Walter Simonson/pencils.Terry Austin/inks. 24.3 x 19.3. 1982.
Moving can be stressful and soul sucking, but sometimes, you find a drawing that you haven’t seen in decades. And that’s okay."

That is freaking awesome. The story and the art!!

On 5/7/2024 at 1:28 PM, MagnusX said:

In his own words:

All I find are missing socks.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:46 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Pretty significant piece of paper! 

WOW!!!

Can you imagine. Moving. Suddenly, "Oh there it is! I wondered where this 42 year old classic crossover original art was hiding. I'll be darned."

On 5/8/2024 at 1:08 AM, grapeape said:

Can you imagine. Moving. Suddenly, "Oh there it is! I wondered where this 42 year old classic crossover original art was hiding. I'll be darned."

That piece alone, would provide funds for a MEGA home upgrade!

I know I know Walter doesn't sell.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:40 AM, Silver Surfer said:

So I’m assuming that Walt has all his stuff from his Thor run including the cover of issue # 337?

I bought the question up at the SDCC Fogo De Chao IDW dinner to him.  I think he gave the cover to Thor #341 to his inker and was presumably sold.  I have seen that at the current owner's house.  Simonson suggested he still owns almost all of his own stuff, which is why IDW has access to so much of the art to make great artists editions.  I asked what was his thoughts about where he wanted the art to go or what he intended on doing with it and he didn't give a clear answer.  It seemed that he knew it was an appreciating asset.  

On 5/8/2024 at 5:57 PM, Peter L said:

I bought the question up at the SDCC Fogo De Chao IDW dinner to him.  I think he gave the cover to Thor #341 to his inker and was presumably sold.  I have seen that at the current owner's house.  Simonson suggested he still owns almost all of his own stuff, which is why IDW has access to so much of the art to make great artists editions.  I asked what was his thoughts about where he wanted the art to go or what he intended on doing with it and he didn't give a clear answer.  It seemed that he knew it was an appreciating asset.  

I don't doubt he knows it is an appreciating asset and he will probably leave precise instructions on what is supposed to happen to the art in case of his death. I'm thinking I will have my family send everyhting to Heritage so that they get funds once I pass away.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 1:40 PM, Silver Surfer said:

So I’m assuming that Walt has all his stuff from his Thor run including the cover of issue # 337?

A few covers and interior pages have been sold from the run. I don't remember if these were all inked by others or if any all-Simonson pieces were also let go. He has the complete #337.

It's been said that he intends to donate it all to his alma mater (Rhode Island School of Design). There is one issue from the run which has a lot of personal meaning to me - I inquired to Weezie about it when she and Walter were at a Society of Illustrators exhibition around 2018-ish and basically she said that she'd love to see Walter get the art out to his fans (she also considered it a fire hazard to have it all in one place!) but that, ultimately, it was his decision alone. 

She dropped some vague hints about how to best go about making an offer (not that he would accept, though) if I were to do so. I learned right around then that a friend was going to make an approach to Walter in-person about a different issue in the run and he offered to piggy-back my interest into this discussion, but, Walter made it very clear in their meeting that he wasn't selling anything and so nothing materialized. Since then the art has gotten so pricey that I'm not sure it would even matter if he had a change of heart about donating vs. selling. :sorry: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 5/7/2024 at 1:23 PM, MagnusX said:

... and just found this piece of paper!
The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans #1. 1982

I'm ready to buy.

On 5/8/2024 at 12:40 PM, Silver Surfer said:

What I've heard Walt say is that he has (pretty much) everything published that he drew and inked. He has his share of things drawn or inked by others.

So, the Simonson stuff "out there" is either inked only by Walt or drawn by Walt and inked by someone else. I'm sure that there are minor exceptions, but I've never seen one that is published and all-Walt.

On 5/8/2024 at 8:58 PM, timguerrero said:

I don't doubt he knows it is an appreciating asset and he will probably leave precise instructions on what is supposed to happen to the art in case of his death. I'm thinking I will have my family send everyhting to Heritage

Careful with that - remember Nicholas Cage!

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 3:13 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Someone needs to make a massive private offer for his Thor work. At least let him think about it and maybe eventually he would consider it.

I'd rather Walt keep it locked away himself rather, than some Rich Boy or Crypto Bro keeping locked away for themselves.

Edited by MAR1979