• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth it to clean and press?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Don’t think it’s worth it; I doubt it be worth it financially, even if you did get a higher grade here.  Go up a full point and the fair market value is only a bit more than the grade you just purchased.

Definitely ask the experts if anything can be improved, but I don’t see much improvement on that book’s value with what grades are within reach.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:52 PM, Cnight said:

Don’t think it’s worth it; I doubt it be worth it financially, even if you did get a higher grade here.  Go up a full point and the fair market value is only a bit more than the grade you just purchased.

Definitely ask the experts if anything can be improved, but I don’t see much improvement on that book’s value with what grades are within reach.

I agree; a lot of those defects aren't going to benefit from a press. I don't see much in the way of dry-cleaning, so the next step up would be a chemical cleaning. It will make both front and back covers whiter, but 1) do you want to chance a purple label? and 2) Would it grade much more with whiter covers? I'd just leave it as is. A very nice entry level key. 

Nothing (short of purple label restoration land) is fixing the holes in the front cover, or those long color-breaking creases, or whatever happened to the LL corner. In theory, a presser could try to correct the slight spine roll here and could even out the back cover wrinkles. But that's not going to change the grade, it's not going to make the book look markedly better, especially from the front, and it comes at considerable risk of something going wrong and ending up with the book in worse condition than when you started.

I wouldn't mess with it. It's a reasonably well-presenting 1.0 of a popular key, and that's just fine.

Leave it as is. Too many factors keeping it where it is. Not worth the insurance, much less the pressing and reslabbing costs you would incur to make it present better because the grade is not likely to jump.

to make it easier for people to help you, maybe consider provide some prices and costs to make it easier for folks to help you?  You're not asking if it will improve, but if its WORTH IT.   Understandably its difficult to know understand the nuances of cleaning/pressing, but you could provide prices and costs so people trying to help you for free don't have to put in extra effort.