• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay artist selling AI art as originals?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2024 at 4:11 PM, AndyFish said:

Spray fixative will flatten out blacks and give everything a smooth texture-- it protects the art-- even in some cases having UV properties.   I've used it in the past to prevent any damage to inked pieces, but I had a buyer once acccuse me of a piece being digital when it wasn't.    I use Deleter Ink (which is Japanese) it comes in small bottles numbered 1-8-- one of those numbers is so smooth and even when it goes down I can see why someone would doubt it-- but once you spray a fixative over it game over-- it's hyper smooth.

So it MAY not be AI just because it looks smooth, and fixative is a legit answer to the question.

Thanks for replying to me and confirming my experience. I totally believed the artist in my case but I was shocked at the result

Sorry, meant to post this several days ago, but ended up getting distracted by other things.

Here is a scan of the Elektra sketch I purchased from this artist duo.

Elektra 2.jpg

Looking closely you can see the pencil 'construction lines' bear little relationship to the inked image, and appear to have been placed to be obvious. Look at the marks around the nose -  they're just random scribbles that have no relationship to the inked nose. All the pencil-work appears to have been done by someone with very little artistic skill, as rapidly as possible. The hatching under the headband is almost random, and has nothing to do with the contours of the face, which an actual artist would understand. And as others noted, the irises and pupils are funky.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:29 PM, grandmoph said:

Sorry, meant to post this several days ago, but ended up getting distracted by other things.

Here is a scan of the Elektra sketch I purchased from this artist duo.

Elektra 2.jpg

Does it seem like any part of this is printed out? I see where traditional ink has been added and bunched up but I can't tell if that's on top of a print out. Pencil marks seem to be on top of the inks right?

Looking at the older art and the latest eBay listings, it appears clear that these are prints with pencils on top, with also some fairly crude ink hatching. You can see the graphite pencil lines on top of the inks in the older pieces, and in the newer ones they're now using what looks like conte pencils (blue, red, and white) for highlights/shadows, which gives them a legit reason to be on top of what I'm reasonably certain are printed inks. The giveaway on the newer drawings is they also used the blue pencil for the faux construction lines, and those lines are also clearly on top of the inks (and have as before no real relationship to the drawing). I will say their product has gotten better in the latest versions, and they've managed to improve the eyes especially. You could do a lot worse for $35, so I have to give them credit for producing a fairly slick product that probably pleases the majority of their customers.

From this is easy to see that AI-assisted art could readily be used to create passable (and even slick/good-looking) comic books, especially in those genres where artists tend to repeat poses and body types and where the emphasis is more on fan service than interesting/surprising story telling.