• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am reasonably confident I have a Bob Layton Signed Copy of X-Factor 1.  But I have no way of authenticating it beyond sending it in for submission.  So here you go.  

Does CGC authenticate signatures in their Signature Series or do I need some sort of authentication?  Because in most cases I would assume after acquiring comics on the secondary market that would be nearly impossible.  Looking at his signature just by googling it this looks spot on.  But I'm no expert.

Just need to know if this is worth sending in.  The book itself is almost pristine at a 9.4image0(9).thumb.jpeg.045ee0247766d1160c9cd42707948f92.jpeg

With the acquisition of JSA, CGC will start authenticating signatures.  That service should start soon, if it hasn't already.  I'm sure someone else on the board knows more about the details on when you can submit for that service.

Cgc will verify signatures now you just get a black stripe across your yellow slab to indicate it’s a verified signature. I believe the verification service is an extra $25. As for if it’s worth sending in, that comic isn’t worth much. 9.4s sell for about $50 so getting it pressed, verified and graded will run you more than that 

There has been a CGC 9.6 signed by Layton on ebay for a couple months now that hasn't sold for $140. You are very likely to be able to purchase this book in 9.6 (9.8 on a good day) for less than the total cost of submission, pressing, shipping, & JSA authentication. Though your personal attachment may vary.

When CGC starts authenticating signatures, tally up all the costs - shipping, invoice fee, insurance, authentication, pressing?, grading, return shipping, risk of damage, value of your time and tying up your money, and compare to comparable CGC SS comics (make sure to include shipping and maybe sales tax in your calc) on ebay.  Note that CGC SS comics will likely sell for more than authenticated books.  

You can then use your own preferences and valuations and your own math to decide if it is worth it for you to submit  your comic to CGC.