• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE STEPHEN SPIELBERG COLLECTION OF ORIGINAL COMIC ART

20 posts in this topic

Reading the April 2001 catalogue for All-Star auctions they were selling the Cover to Mad # 2 by Jack Davis. The description cites "The cover to issue # 1 is in a private collection slated for a museum and will likely never be sold".

Anyone know where Spielberg plans on donating his collection to ?

Delicatessen,

Ya always gotta 'play the priick' dontcha ?

KK

um, isn't that how almost everyone else on this board feel about you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd say about 95% of us.

My 5 percent have more soul and purity than your 95% sheep-boys. Society generally tends to throw out all 'the good wood'. The common man are fodder for the true Supermen-genius.

KK

OK Kat, I'll bite (scratch)...What other Major pieces does Spielberg own (I'm assuming he has the Mad #1 cover)??? I know Steve Martin has several comic pieces in His collection (Including a Fantastic Crumb cover that I saw once on Exhibit)....Does Spielberg still buy?? If so what has he been buying lately....what makes you think he will eventually not liquidate?

Hwo do you know speilberg has it?

First-hand info from the previous owner who still has almost all the other covers #2 - #11. It also is common knowledge within the art community that Spielberg paid 100K in the early 90's for it.

OK Kat, I'll bite (scratch)...What other Major pieces does Spielberg own (I'm assuming he has the Mad #1 cover)??? I know Steve Martin has several comic pieces in His collection (Including a Fantastic Crumb cover that I saw once on Exhibit)....Does Spielberg still buy?? If so what has he been buying lately....what makes you think he will eventually not liquidate?

Yes, Spielberg owns the Mad #1 Cover. George Lucas and Spielberg both have extensive collections of OA and have been purchasing the stuff for some time. I do not know what other art either of the two possess. Lucas still buys,..I do not know about Spielberg. Based on the All-Star catalogue (I believe All-Star deals with Spielberg) the art is 'slated for a museum' at some point in the future,..presumably at Spielberg's death ? confused-smiley-013.gif

KK

and Lucas is known in your Almighty World of True Fine Art as what exactly?

An Artist of discerning sophistication and taste?

or a purveyor and disseminator of crappola kitsch for the masses??

They will be following his lead into your exciting rareified world of production art based on HIS sayso??

and Lucas is known in your Almighty World of True Fine Art as what exactly?

An Artist of discerning sophistication and taste?

or a purveyor and disseminator of crappola kitsch for the masses??

They will be following his lead into your exciting rareified world of production art based on HIS sayso??

What in Blue-Blazes are you talking about ? Now you are following Delicatessens lead and making up your own arguments ? HYSTERICAL !!! STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID,...buck-o !

kool_aid.jpg

My 5 percent have more soul and purity than your 95% sheep-boys. Society generally tends to throw out all 'the good wood'. The common man are fodder for the true Supermen-genius.

SEE Spidyboy!

You didnt say Spidy-genious.You SAID Superman-genious!!!!!

Even though your a big Spidy fan you subconsiously just showed who is really more popular.I got ya with patience.

Superman is the worlds most popular hero.