• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writing inside activity books... how much and what kind?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I have a Casper promotional dental association activity book. There were 4 of them. This is the 1977 one. 

This question will apply to a number of books with crosswords (DC had them) or puzzles for kids. 

The comic is in Near Mint EXCEPT that inside the book, about 30% of the activities are, and I'm not exaggerating, 

gently, clearly, and with a light pencil - filled in. 

This stuck me as an exception. It's hard enough to find activity books that were used by kids in NM but then to see 

pencil was used and all the answers were CORRECT, but it was in a child's writing, not an adults. 

I'm flummoxed. Take the same issue also in otherwise NM and if the answers were, say, ALL filled in, or in Pen, 

or INCORRECT, or had scribbles... does it matter?

I've seen quite a few high-grade books with "appropriate" pencil markings on interior activity/puzzle pages.  Mostly Dell Walt Disney and Timely funny animal titles.  As near as I can tell, this particular blemish will normally not warrant a downgrade (although I'd expect CGC to be a bit more critical about markings that deface one or more interior pages).  :foryou:

Puzzle-75c2a.thumb.jpg.281b51202bb88abbc8898f29ff52aec3.jpg Puzzle-80c1.thumb.jpg.961b869038bcb3deed6a440c48970cac.jpg Puzzle-85c3.thumb.jpg.da2d72fac784a715122a905477a427f8.jpg Puzzle-90c1.jpg.371942bf2d8638d2857a5086ff22e730.jpg

As @zzutak pointed out, will not dramatically affect grade.  I suspect this is because of the CGC policy of 80% of the grade being assigned to the condition of the cover and therefore the interior only being able to pull the grade down slightly due to the weight the cover carries in the grade.  That said, if it's lightly done in pencil, it's very simple for an experienced cleaner/presser to remove the pencil marks on interior pages.