• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alex Horley Fake
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

So I have been on the lookout for this painting for years,actually decades, and I did a search on ebay and boom for a second I had that magic feeling when I saw it on sale. But then I enlarged the pic and I said to myself that ain't it. The seller says he can't guarantee it in the description but nevertheless I thought I would post it to the group because how often do you see something like this?

ALEX HORLEY painting - Wolverine - Fantasy art - Frazetta -Earl NOREM | eBay

Already contacted Alex just to make sure it was not some kind of prelim and it it what I thought, a complete fake. 

Thought I would share with the group.

best,

Matthew

On 5/16/2024 at 6:04 AM, Overthetopinc said:

Hello Everyone,

So I have been on the lookout for this painting for years,actually decades, and I did a search on ebay and boom for a second I had that magic feeling when I saw it on sale. But then I enlarged the pic and I said to myself that ain't it. The seller says he can't guarantee it in the description but nevertheless I thought I would post it to the group because how often do you see something like this?

ALEX HORLEY painting - Wolverine - Fantasy art - Frazetta -Earl NOREM | eBay

Already contacted Alex just to make sure it was not some kind of prelim and it it what I thought, a complete fake. 

Thought I would share with the group.

best,

Matthew

Can you post the published image?  Nothing is screaming at me that it doesn't look real.

Also, anyone selling Picasso paintings on eBay has to be legit, right?  Right?  Right?

Posted (edited)

Aside from the enlargement from 11x17 to 16x24 (which is not an exact ratio of enlargement) the depth of color on the Ebay listing seems questionable. Please take my assessment with a grain of salt because there is always the chance that there is variance on the photos. The chroma, shading and sharpness of the original is missing from the Ebay listing - which is usually a sign of a inkjet-printed-on-canvas, even at the giclee level this can get missed. Changing the black level would darken the image, but it wouldn't add the subtle gradation of shadows in his arm if there weren't there to begin with.

Shadows cast on originals have a different look than photographing the originals and then reproducing those shadows via a second generation on a printed surface. Details get lost due to printing limitations - which can happen if you are not doing super-high end giclee reproductions.

Good on the OP, though - a lot of this stuff can't be noticed unless you're looking at the authentic one side by side. Of course, the original painter would know best, but there are some things there that can be compared.

Original via HA

ScreenShot2024-05-17at9_02_42AM.png.1d2c40ba94837cc09d3e91c7bbb2cafb.png

Ebay listing:

ScreenShot2024-05-17at9_02_58AM.png.b5e8ee76d00d6e25b442827f4832d839.png

Edited by Dr. Balls

Frankly, the HA image looks more fake than the one on ebay.  But I've never seen the image published.

For example, the dark background above Wolverine.  In the HA image, it's just plain black.  In the ebay image, at least it looks like a little more work there. 

If the ebay piece is fake, it's a good fake.