• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Marvel Insanity: Renumbering Fantastic Four

21 posts in this topic

According to Previews Marvel is going to restart the numbering of Fantastic Four with what would be the 500th issue. No info if the Volume number will change as well.

Apperently the rest will follow 501 502 503.

Whose next Spider-man, Avengers, Goldberg?

What was the last "new" FF you read? The current run is most enjoyable.
The implication of your question is clear and VERY offensive to me!!! Are you suggesting that Joe can't condemn modern Marvels without reading them? shocked.gif But...but...that would limit the amount of things he can complain about! He's only human--taking the time to form informed opinions instead of sweeping, blanket statements of negativity would take time away from him making sweeping, blanket statements of negativity. And then the forum would get boring and stale! tongue.gif

Marvel is cranking out the finest comics in its history, except that they don't introduce new characters very often like they used to. Which is probably a good thing given the fact that they haven't had a lot of success with that the past 20 years or so. The coloring is better, the artwork is better, and most of the current writers' grasp of the elements of fiction are lightyears better than past writers at Marvel. I don't buy newsstand issues just to complete runs. For example, I've dropped Uncanny X-Men even though I own 1 thru around 405, but I keep buying New X-Men because of Morrison and Quitely. But Daredevil, Hulk, Punisher, Ultimate Spidey, and Ultimate X-Men...the quality is just great compared to prior decades.

Ares, do you know if they're doing the same thing to the other titles also?

FF, you have shamed me. I will send my apologies to Joe in the form of a complete NM CGCed run of Speedball. blush.gif

And you're absolutely right, Marvel has been putting out some amazing stuff over the last couple years... with the glaring exception of Uncanny. What a horrid soap opera that book has become! mad.gif

I think it's wonderful news and long overdue. There was no reason to restart the numbering in the first place in my opinion. Will make it slightly harder for those back issue completists as they will have to figure out how long such and such volume was published.

Jim

What was the last "new" FF you read? The current run is most enjoyable.

I agree. Best string of issues in years. A little too lighthearted for my tastes but with Doom coming back, I suspect it'll start cranking up a notch.

Jim

To JC - go and pick up Fantastic Four 60 and up. The Waid run is really good, and the Doom issue was spectacular, the best Dr. Doom story in a long long time. Here's the big hint - Waid is making the FF fun again.

Ares, do you know if they're doing the same thing to the other titles also?

No Idea but I assume they would.

If they did it with Fantastic Four I can see it happening with Spiderman...

I must ditto. I picked up FFs 67 and 68 the other day and enjoyed them immensely. The Doom story is great. I wish I had my old FF collection so I could go reread some. I guess there's always the bargain bins and Marvel Masterworks...

Marvel is cranking out the finest comics in its history, except that they don't introduce new characters very often like they used to.

Er, you criticise JC for making blanket statements then you make a crazy comment like this! smirk.gif

While I agree that Marvel is actually putting out some great books at the moment, they don't come close to the Uber-creative decades of the 60's and 70's. The second part of your own statement actually nullifies the first. The books are nowhere without the characters.

Having said thsat though, we are probably seeing are the best work for the last decade or so, which is a possitive step in the right direction.

Ennis kicks the butt of EVERY Punisher writer ever. Bendis is the strongest Spidey writer I've ever seen--he just seems to have no credibility flaws at all in his stories. He's an exceptionally "charismatic" writer in that his character development is just magic to watch. Can't speak much for past Hulk writers since I haven't read the title much, but Jones' "build up slowly and hold the action for the climax" style is one that I personally haven't seen in comics before, although it reminds me a lot of the style of storytelling that is common in films. I don't like Stracyznski nearly as much as Bendis, but that whole storyline with the other spider-man (Ezekiel? I always forget that name) is quite original and compelling. His villains kinda suck tho--"Morlun" and the "Spider-Wasp" weren't all that memorable.

Get specific--which stories were better than the current crop? I haven't read all of the Marvel comics ever made so I could have missed some quality work from the past. Certainly Miller's writing on Daredevil was just as innovative as the current comics, although I've always HATED his art line style. It seems to me that Marvel is now attracting writers who have prior experience in other literary media more than they've been able to in the past; certainly Stracynzski, Jones, and Bendis have better resumes than Marvel writers from the past. Not sure what Ennis' past is like but he sure does rock like few comic writers ever have!

It seems to me that Marvel is now attracting writers who have prior experience in other literary media more than they've been able to in the past; certainly Stracynzski, Jones, and Bendis have better resumes than Marvel writers from the past. Not sure what Ennis' past is like but he sure does rock like few comic writers ever have!

Love him or despise him, its Jemas you have to thank for this. He has always pushed for Marvel to think/hire ouside of the box /"usual gang of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons"/regular lifer writers that have worked in comics for years and years. He has always preached that you dont have to have reda thousnads of comics since you were 7 in order to create a great story.

I think its working with the writers you mention.

No Idea but I assume they would.

If they did it with Fantastic Four I can see it happening with Spiderman...

I concur; I think this is a step to return to Volume 1 numbering. FF is just a start; based on the numbering, I would say ASM is next. It's currently at issue 52/493; likely issue 58/499 will the last with the current numbering and number 500 will follow thereafter. That will be approaching the holidays. After that, it's pretty much a crapshoot. None amongst Daredevil, 46/426, Avengers, 66/481, Thor, 63/565 are approaching a nice round number from which to jump off from. Avengers is a year and a half away from it's 500th issue and the hype would have died down by then. It makes some sense that Thor 79/581 would be the last issue with the old numbering system and issue 582 would be a logical jumping off point to return to the old numbering since it would be the 500th issue of Thor. However, this is also a year and a half away. Daredevil has no logical issue number to make the switch for two full years. Like I said; crapshoot. As for Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man; I don't know enough about those books to comment intelligently on their numbering.

Regardless, I for one am ecstatic that they're doing this. I thought starting the numbering over again was a sham; I wasn't around the hobby at the time but when I returned, I was severely disoriented seeing Amazing Spider-man 29 on the shelves. I was also somewhat disappointed and continue to be to this day. While Detective Comics and Action Comics are into the 800s and I look forward to picking up issue #1000 of both some 17 years down the line or so, the two titles that were my first loves, ASM and Thor are mired in the tens because of stupid marketing ploys. When I was a kid collecting for the first time, I used to wonder to myself if I would be around the hobby for their 500th issues. And what the Hell is the deal with Avengers and FF? One relaunch wasn't enough they had to do two? Anyway, I'm glad this is happening.

I don't like Stracyznski nearly as much as Bendis, but that whole storyline with the other spider-man (Ezekiel? I always forget that name) is quite original and compelling. His villains kinda suck tho--"Morlun" and the "Spider-Wasp" weren't all that memorable.
I have to disagree here; I prefer Straczynski's Spider-man to Bendis'. Both are terrific talents but Bendis is re-hashing and JMS is creating. I agree that Morlun and Tantra weren't world-beaters but they certainly were originals. And Ezekiel's the most intriguing member to join the Spider-family in decades. The reconciliation story concluding in Issue 50 was tremendous and surprising. I especially loved JMS' portrayel of Doom's arrogance and the little touch at the end when Spidey introduced MJ to Cap; Cap's advice was timeless. The last two issues with the gamma-zombie and Peter and MJ's re-emerging romance have been wonderful and very funny at times.

By no means am I bashing Bendis, though. My three favorite superhero titles currently besides ASM are Alias, Daredevil, and Powers, in no particular order. Obviously I've got Bendis on the brain. But JMS' Spidey is stronger, IMHO.

I've dropped For example, I've dropped Uncanny X-Men even though I own 1 thru around 405, but I keep buying New X-Men because of Morrison and Quitely
Since Uncanny X-men is a staple in my collection and always has been, I have to ask why you stopped. Though I don't appreciate the Asamiya art of late, I do like Austen's stories a lot. Like Morrison, he's adding all new levels to the X-men world especially with all the new characters he's introduced. I agree that Morrison is on a run the likes of which is rarely seen since he took over "New" X-men, but Austen's work is very good too.

Speaking of cutting edge mutant comic books, does anyone know if X-Statix has been cancelled. I know that Soldier X got the axe but I haven't heard anything about this book. On that note, what about Exiles? I dropped it after they got rid of Blink but if it's coming to an end, I would complete my run.