• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to lose a customer, without even trying.

22 posts in this topic

Over the last 18 months or so, I've been buying stuff from an auction house about an hour north of my house.  Most of the things I buy are cheap, under $20, but this week I wanted an item and got in a bidding war. I won the auction, for about $75- about a third of the $199 retail price.  I picked up the item, which was in an open Amazon box.  The item shipped assembled, but the original buyer had taken it apart.  I struggled for three hours to assemble it and use spare parts I had to assemble it, but it was missing a vital part.  Reluctantly, I asked to return it.   The front desk woman was very helpful and gave me a credit slip.  Everything was great until the owner's son followed me outside.  We've spoken a time or two, but we aren't friendly, so it shocked me when he suggested that I keep the item, buy another one from Amazon, and return the broken one- so I'd end up with a brand-new item for a huge discount. I told him that was stealing and that if I wanted to steal stuff, it wouldn't be a $200 item.  He got mad and said he wasn't suggesting I steal anything. He said only a dishonest person would have an issue with his suggestion, that many of his regulars do just that.   When it became obvious I wasn't going to take his advice, he told me he wouldn't appreciate it if I bring this conversation up with his father or anyone associated with the auction.  It wasn't a threat, per say, but it was threatening.

I'm done with them and debating whether to inform the office or post this on some review sites. 

On 5/24/2024 at 3:27 PM, shadroch said:

he suggested that I keep the item, buy another one from Amazon, and return the broken one- so I'd end up with a brand-new item for a huge discount. I told him that was stealing and that if I wanted to steal stuff, it wouldn't be a $200 item.  He got mad and said he wasn't suggesting I steal anything. He said only a dishonest person would have an issue with his suggestion

So, he thinks only a dishonest person would have an issue with his suggestion of doing a dishonest thing?

That's some upper level "I know you are but what am I?" thinking....

This auction house sounds real sketchy and you really should raise awareness but it's kinda weird to go on make an elaborate complaint without any attribution. You're a comic collector on a forum for other comic collectors and you know the name of auction house that you believe to be behaving unethical but you're not sharing it's name with the community. 

Without the name of the auction house, this kind of complaint ends up feeling like copypasta.

On 5/25/2024 at 10:39 AM, Sam T said:

This auction house sounds real sketchy and you really should raise awareness but it's kinda weird to go on make an elaborate complaint without any attribution. You're a comic collector on a forum for other comic collectors and you know the name of auction house that you believe to be behaving unethical but you're not sharing it's name with the community. 

Without the name of the auction house, this kind of complaint ends up feeling like copypasta.

The auction house doesn't deal with comics, and I'm not sure if I will continue doing so. I don't see how outing a small Arizona auction house that doesn't ship its wares or deal in comics does much beyond making an enemy. 

On 5/26/2024 at 9:31 AM, shadroch said:

It's a cautionary tale to business owners.  A "friendly" suggestion by one of his employees possibly cost him a good client.   A word to the wise is sufficient.  

I have wondered if more people here are business owners ( dealers) or just collectors.  Has there ever been a pole on that before? 

On 5/27/2024 at 7:30 PM, Senormac said:

I have wondered if more people here are business owners ( dealers) or just collectors.  Has there ever been a pole on that before? 

First, we'd need a poll on whether selling is a business or a hobby.  It's good advice for anyone wanting repeat business.

If one is unethical, ethics only arise when one receives services. "I expect honest services in having my comic books graded." "I expect to be treated honestly when purchasing a used automobile." 

On 5/28/2024 at 6:06 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

If one is unethical, ethics only arise when one receives services. "I expect honest services in having my comic books graded." "I expect to be treated honestly when purchasing a used automobile." 

Is it unethical to deal with such people? That is my conundrum. There aren't a lot of angels in the auction business.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 1:33 PM, shadroch said:

Is it unethical to deal with such people? That is my conundrum. There aren't a lot of angels in the auction business.

Of course, I refer to the individual that approached you in that unethical individuals expect to be treated ethically when receiving services.

As to your question, I do not believe it is unethical to deal with individuals that one, I'll say for lack of a better term, is are reported to be unethical based on, for example, word of mouth because such may not be accurate. However, I and clearly you will not deal with those that prove to be unethical, whether they demonstrate such directly or their history leaves no room for debate. At either of those times, I argue, one would be unethical to deal with them.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Replace "is" with "are".

It is potentially unethical (as you can never be sure whether something was done wrong before you were involved), but more importantly I'd say it's not very smart: If they would do such unethical things - and further have no problem telling you about it - what keeps them from doing unethical things to you?

It could also be that the unethical "rotten apple in the barrel" is the son, who does not want the conversation brought up "with his father or anyone associated with the auction."  My guess is that this might lead to a dismissal as his ethics may not be in tune with an honest, ground-roots company.  At the least, it may lead to a stern lecture and shameful disappointment from an otherwise uninformed father.  I know that if some unsavory activity I had done were to be presented before my father I would be ashamed, but then again that pre-supposes that this generation still feels such emotions.  :preach:

On 5/27/2024 at 7:34 PM, shadroch said:

First, we'd need a poll on whether selling is a business or a hobby.  It's good advice for anyone wanting repeat business.

Good point.  I've sold books myself, but never ever considered myself a business.  I always had a day job. 

i bought printer supplies from adorama camera in nyc a few years ago. since my order, i have received at least one email per day from them, despite unsubscribing multiple times and emailing their customer support about it. 

this is another way to lose a customer forever. their emails still come, albeit straight to my junk folder now, but i will never patronize them again. 

On 5/29/2024 at 7:17 AM, alexgross.com said:

i bought printer supplies from adorama camera in nyc a few years ago. since my order, i have received at least one email per day from them, despite unsubscribing multiple times and emailing their customer support about it. 

this is another way to lose a customer forever. their emails still come, albeit straight to my junk folder now, but i will never patronize them again. 

I almost bought from them when searching for a good camera supplier a few years ago, but ended up going with B&H also in NYC.  They have been a fantastic camera/video company to deal with.  If I get email ads from them, I haven't noticed.  Maybe a weekly.  

On 5/29/2024 at 11:43 AM, Senormac said:

I almost bought from them when searching for a good camera supplier a few years ago, but ended up going with B&H also in NYC.  They have been a fantastic camera/video company to deal with.  If I get email ads from them, I haven't noticed.  Maybe a weekly.  

I just noticed your Kraven photos!  I still have him and the book. :bigsmile: