• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IS A SPLASH PAGE ???
1 1

40 posts in this topic

You know, just call everything a splash page. It doesn't matter. You're looking right at it, aren't you? 

I don't care if the dealer is calling it a 1995 Volkswagen. I can count three panels and I know how much I'm willing to pay.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:31 PM, Drummy said:

Was the poster of that page just referring tongue-in-cheek to all the water?

I believe so. Of course, if you have to explain the joke, it's not really funny. :)

On 5/31/2024 at 6:00 PM, The Voord said:

I'd meant this as a kind of joke example, Brian, and I'm surprised you took me seriously.  Too many collectors seem hung up on the idea of what constitutes a 'slash page', so I thought I'd post something with water effects (splashes, geddit?).  I think most people here got the joke. 

Personally, I'd never quite got where the term 'Splash page' came from.  For me, it's always been title page (usually a page 1), with (some) interior pages having large panels . . . or single panel pages.  

I think this is more of a dealer mentality . . . trying to hype their inventory with interior pages that have larger panels than the norm.

Since Image was founded it seems like many artists put in splash pages in an issue not for the story but because a splash will sell for more.

On 6/1/2024 at 4:25 AM, Brian Peck said:
On 5/29/2024 at 1:24 AM, The Voord said:

THIS is a splash page!

3.jpg

Expand  

This is a panel page with a large panel. If it has more than one panel to the page it's a panel page. 

If the whole page is one image from side to sideband top to bottom with images inside the single image,I still considerate splash page.

Too many people selling comic art will call something a splash page, eve if its composed of an number of panel images just to jackup the price.

The Voord was making a joke, because of all of the water splashing around on the page. :gossip:

On 5/31/2024 at 9:00 PM, The Voord said:

I'd meant this as a kind of joke example, Brian, and I'm surprised you took me seriously.  Too many collectors seem hung up on the idea of what constitutes a 'slash page', so I thought I'd post something with water effects (splashes, geddit?).  I think most people here got the joke. 

Personally, I'd never quite got where the term 'Splash page' came from.  For me, it's always been title page (usually a page 1), with (some) interior pages having large panels . . . or single panel pages.  

I think this is more of a dealer mentality . . . trying to hype their inventory with interior pages that have larger panels than the norm.

“Splash page” was a term used by comic creatives (editors/artists/writers, etc.) to describe the page that was supposed to grab your attention and help sell the book — and, back then, it was almost always a single-panel title page. I believe it was Carmine Infantino who talked to me about the process of making a great comic and he said a great cover would cause you to pick it up off the stand and the splash made you want to read it and that meant kids would plunk down their dime or 12 cents to buy the comic.

On 5/28/2024 at 3:55 PM, cstojano said:

I am all fine with definitions and usages changing over time but to me the BWS Conan run uses splash pages in the sense of the original use of the term. 

CTB #1 SP.jpg

54f508a9d94db919b7c08b72aef8022c.jpg

I didn't know that dealers were trying to bend the definition of "splash" page, but I'm not surprised. They also call anything that has less than 1,000 universal copies in the census "rare," so there you go.

To me a splash a) has to be the first page of a story and b) has to take up the entire page. 

And what of pages in which the whole page would be a splash except for free floating inset panels in it? The page acts like a splash, but wouldn’t meet the technical definition. If no one has a name, and you want one, call it a Surround Page.

On 6/1/2024 at 11:01 AM, Michael Browning said:

“Splash page” was a term used by comic creatives (editors/artists/writers, etc.) to describe the page that was supposed to grab your attention and help sell the book — and, back then, it was almost always a single-panel title page. I believe it was Carmine Infantino who talked to me about the process of making a great comic and he said a great cover would cause you to pick it up off the stand and the splash made you want to read it and that meant kids would plunk down their dime or 12 cents to buy the comic.

Ah, right, makes sense, thanks.  I can see that for single panel/title pages . . . but would you agree that dealers have pounced on the idea to exaggerate things a bit with descriptions such as, 'half-page splash', etc.?

On 6/1/2024 at 7:53 AM, The Voord said:

Ah, right, makes sense, thanks.  I can see that for single panel/title pages . . . but would you agree that dealers have pounced on the idea to exaggerate things a bit with descriptions such as, 'half-page splash', etc.?

Oh heck yeah. It’s as bad as the “birth page” stuff.

It’s all about the sales, not truth in advertising.

On 6/1/2024 at 1:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

To me a splash a) has to be the first page of a story and b) has to take up the entire page. 

I have two pieces I refer to as Splash pages that aren’t first pages. I’m curious if there is a more appropriate term for them based on your parameters.  I’m open to adapting.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1748965

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?aty=4&gcat=140502

On 6/4/2024 at 9:55 PM, Xatari said:
On 6/1/2024 at 6:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I have two pieces I refer to as Splash pages that aren’t first pages. I’m curious if there is a more appropriate term for them based on your parameters.  I’m open to adapting.

Why is it necessary to adopt an overly rigid definition?

On 6/1/2024 at 5:03 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I didn't know that dealers were trying to bend the definition of "splash" page, but I'm not surprised. They also call anything that has less than 1,000 universal copies in the census "rare," so there you go.

oh, you mean a title page. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 9:55 AM, Xatari said:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1748965

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?aty=4&gcat=140502

I think of your X-Men page as a full page splash containing 5 inset panels.

Your other page I consider an 80% splash with a 20% vertical overlay. There, the smaller panel sits on top of the splash. In your first page, the panels are nestled into the splash.

But, that’s me.

Edited by Rick2you2

For the question what is a splash, this page from Brave and The Bold #186 page 9 I just won in ComicLink could be called a splash or panel page. Technically its five panels but the its one background across all five panels. Could have been done with just one panel but Aparo gave it an extra dimension breaking it up into panels.

image.thumb.jpeg.72e8537c534ca587b9ef8ff307014867.jpeg