• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it the grading, the pressing or just me?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Hi! 

I got my first comic graded. The attached pictures are taken before the dry cleaning and pressing which was done by a shop for me.

I know it's not an 8.0, but have to say, I expected a bit higher grade than a 6.0. Foremost, I hoped that the light creasing and bends would be gone after pressing.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4414420019/

Grader Notes
""Mark Jewelers"" insert.
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

20240402_232239.jpg

20240402_232243.jpg

20240402_232246.jpg

20240402_232250.jpg

20240402_232253.jpg

20240402_232304.jpg

20240402_232307.jpg

20240402_232311.jpg

20240402_232314.jpg

Welcome to the boards.

First off, it's important that you understand what pressing and cleaning can do and what it can't do.  I see lots of pressable defects and this is certainly a book that can improve but there are lots of defects that a press won't address.  Defects that break color, ie break the ink that's printed on the paper, can't be addressed by humidity and pressing.  Defects that bend the paper, ie don't break the ink that's printed on the paper, can be addressed.

Looking at your before pics I honestly have trouble getting beyond fn just based on the bottom front right corner.  Multiple color breaking creases of significant size that won't be improved by pressing.  Then there's many other areas of concern, so many it would be hard to list.  I honestly think you're lucky to get a fn out of this.

I'd like to suggest that you start some threads in the 'can you spare a grade' forum.  Get some grading feedback from boardies who've submitted a lot of books to CGC and fine tune your grading.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Also - CGC grader notes 'light creasing' can be translated as 'broken fibers' - which is physical damage, and probably not noticeable w/o a magnifying glass.

I have several books that I thought were easy 9.8s come back as 9.6s or 9.4s with 'light creasing' - the books look perfect, and after complaining loudly about it, CGC clarified that 'light creasing' can mean 'broken fibers' - a press won't get those out (and fwict, may be caused by CGC's pressing... : / ) 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:55 AM, thehumantorch said:

Welcome to the boards.

First off, it's important that you understand what pressing and cleaning can do and what it can't do.  I see lots of pressable defects and this is certainly a book that can improve but there are lots of defects that a press won't address.  Defects that break color, ie break the ink that's printed on the paper, can't be addressed by humidity and pressing.  Defects that bend the paper, ie don't break the ink that's printed on the paper, can be addressed.

Looking at your before pics I honestly have trouble getting beyond fn just based on the bottom front right corner.  Multiple color breaking creases of significant size that won't be improved by pressing.  Then there's many other areas of concern, so many it would be hard to list.  I honestly think you're lucky to get a fn out of this.

I'd like to suggest that you start some threads in the 'can you spare a grade' forum.  Get some grading feedback from boardies who've submitted a lot of books to CGC and fine tune your grading.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

This is all correct, when you want to press/clean a book you need to assess whether or not that is going to improve the grade.  In this case, there's a lot of wear along the right side of the front cover that isn't going to improve, and will thus limit the grade. 

But that being said, it looks like a lousy press job. 

On 5/31/2024 at 1:35 PM, buttock said:

This is all correct, when you want to press/clean a book you need to assess whether or not that is going to improve the grade.  In this case, there's a lot of wear along the right side of the front cover that isn't going to improve, and will thus limit the grade. 

This. The color breaking creases will limit the grade and 6.0 is right. But it does appear there are a number of non color breaking bends (top right front, top left back) that should have been mitigated with a press. It does not appear as if it was pressed at all. 

In many of the Facebook groups (and even sometimes here) there is a "every book should be pressed before slabbing" attitude. It's wrong and only benefits pressers. 

On 5/31/2024 at 11:51 AM, The Lions Den said:

There's a slabbed 9.4 copy with white pages on eBay right now for less than $50...  (shrug)

can you provide the link?  i couldn't find it. I'm extremely interested at that price. 

Maybe my search parameters were off, but I didn't see any with the Mark Jewelers insert.

On 5/31/2024 at 4:25 PM, revat said:

can you provide the link?  i couldn't find it. I'm extremely interested at that price. 

Maybe my search parameters were off, but I didn't see any with the Mark Jewelers insert.

No, you're right. It doesn't have the insert...too bad.   

On 5/31/2024 at 1:35 PM, buttock said:

Yep. Not the best candidate to submit, but the press job was sub-par.