• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC comics reveal Oni press New Shiver SuspensStories
3 3

170 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, AJD said:

Which one was that? I must have missed it.

5517338.jpg

7686419.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/2/2024 at 8:28 AM, Ken Aldred said:

5517338.jpg

7686419.jpg

Just bought this one. The weakest of the tribute covers so far. But a marked improvement in story content. The stories really have a current feel but with the EC twists. I still haven’t found any art to connect with but the stories are starting to hit a good groove. 

On 10/4/2024 at 4:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Just bought this one. The weakest of the tribute covers so far. But a marked improvement in story content. The stories really have a current feel but with the EC twists. I still haven’t found any art to connect with but the stories are starting to hit a good groove. 

I’ve always liked Jack Kamen’s artwork.

On 10/4/2024 at 8:18 AM, Robot Man said:

Looking forward to it.  Personally, I love the choice of tribute cover here, but everybody has different tastes.  Goodness knows I'm rare in counting Psychoanalysis as one of the better New Direction titles.  (I have it just slightly behind Aces High and Piracy.)  Given that I think Cruel Universe has been much better than Epitaphs so far, your review has me really excited for this one.

I’ve waited a while to buy/read a few issues of these to form an opinion.  I actually really like them.  In their favour they’re all self contained quick reads, mostly decent artwork with ok’ish writing (a lot like original EC).

What they really need is 2 or 3 really great artists to do a few covers/interiors to bring people in.

Will they last the year?  I dunno, I really hope so.

edit : always disliked tribute covers of all kinds, laziest artwork ever.  Just my opinion.

Edited by koollectablz

Just got Cruel Universe 3.  Maybe no instant classics in this one, but a nice solid mix of stories which hit the right EC flavor of dark humor and social commentary.  About as good as #1, I still think The Champion in #1 is the best of the stories so far but this issue had a slightly higher baseline.  I continue to be MUCH more impressed with Cruel Universe than Epitaphs.  I also like that this issue was 30 story pages, good value for the price these days.

My store isn't ordering enough Cruel Universe to get the variants, but I'm sourcing them elsewhere without too much trouble.  I'm slightly confused about the point on the 1:50 "Archive" variants, though.  The exact same cover other than the table of contents on each issue just seems odd to me.  It makes them pretty cheap for 1:50 variants, though... I got the #2 version for cover price in an eBay auction.

On 10/4/2024 at 8:44 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve always liked Jack Kamen’s artwork.

Me too but EC cover wise, I can’t really think of any standouts. Lots of great Fox GGA covers though,

He has such a clean style that I think the other boys at EC overshadow him.