• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC comics reveal Oni press issues #4 & #5
3 3

157 posts in this topic

I was going to order the first issue, but decided not to do so. Depending on the reviews, if there is a collected volume I may purchase it.

A lot of the interior art posted looks closer to The Walking Dead than a 50s EC comic.

I’ll stick with the originals.

Really loving the Jay Stephens covers, but I think he's one of the most underrated artists of the last 25 years. His stuff is probably too cute for many, but he's an excellent cartoonist.

The interior art isn't setting me on fire, but I also don't have a problem with it. As has been mentioned previously. EC had the greatest stable of artists that comicdom ever assembled. They were never going to match that. As long as the artists are good storytellers, that's all I'd be concerned about. 

I'll probably at least check these out. Expectations are low, but I'm a mark for horror anthologies, whether in comics or films. I'm not hard to please.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:02 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A lot of the interior art posted looks closer to The Walking Dead than a 50s EC comic.

I’ll stick with the originals.

keep an open mind, try one...SF/Horror....the SF does look better!

On 6/3/2024 at 7:20 PM, AJD said:

For my money, the most successful (in artistic terms, it seems to have been a bomb sales wise) attempt to reboot EC was Harvey Kurtzman's New Two Fisted Tales. These are cheap and pretty darn good.

New_TFT_1.jpg.060408866c3ef50c546367c07b484e69.jpg

New_TFT_2.jpg.271a73e371d038371591c997ab1ee330.jpg

I concur! Those were great. Problem is there is so little love for the original EC war books. Some of the best EC output. 

On 6/4/2024 at 4:44 AM, BitterOldMan said:

I enjoyed Twisted Tales produced by Pacific Comics in the eighties as an EC clone.  The story “Banjo Lessons” found in Twisted Tales #5 was an especially memorable story.  Wouldn’t place any pictures, other than the cover.  Story is not for those with weak stomachs.IMG_3721.jpeg.df2453fae803e3aae94790a782e4f15f.jpeg

Again, I agree. Along with Alien Worlds. About as close to original ECs as been done since EC closed down. 

I ended up pre-ordering Cruel Universe 1. I'm intrigued enough to try it.

I actually agree with Mitch about giving the books a chance to prove themselves.

I always feel caution is advisable, and never to get too excited and motivated by nostalgia, though.  Good to be pleasantly surprised.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

I would recommend instead of buying these, buy instead a few Russ Cochran real EC reprint books…

Bill, Al and Harvey are rolling in their graves. 

"... Russ Cochran real EC reprint books ..."

I love those.

I've added the books to my holds list, I'll at least give it a chance. I'm not buying much by way of floppies these days, so it doesn't hurt to give a new book a try.

The cover art is good.

Admittedly, some very talented writers and artists on the books.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 4:38 PM, Robot Man said:

I really love those “homage” covers. 

Yup. As a classic EC fan it’s good fun to see those. Nice little surprise to see the next one. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred