• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #1 Comic in Census
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Thx man.

Interesting, so if you search in gallery you also see a picture of the Item.

But what is the difference between searching in gallery and in census? - because in census there are no pictures of the Items.

Also I am at the moment starting to collecting some comics that I loved in my childhood and I think I would still buy this one because
I am a fan of Spawn and I want it in my collection.
- but I have also seen a youtube video where a guy always lists investible comics for the future and 
he also listet this Spawn #1 Comic.

With 33K in the census can this still be a high valuable product in the late future (30-50 years or even later)

What do you think?

On 6/3/2024 at 12:34 PM, ComicCollector87 said:

With 33K in the census can this still be a high valuable product in the late future (30-50 years or even later)

What do you think?

I am quite certain it won't be. 

On 6/3/2024 at 12:34 AM, ComicCollector87 said:

Thx man.

But what is the difference between searching in gallery and in census? - because in census there are no pictures of the Items.

Also I am at the moment starting to collecting some comics that I loved in my childhood and I think I would still buy this one because
- but I have also seen a youtube video where a guy always lists investible comics for the future and 

What do you think?

It was a big deal when I was a kid too and I actually bought my brother a 9.8 for Christmas years ago.  

As @Grendel72 said, there see 33k on the census and 50% of those are in 9.8 (16k+).  I don't see it ever being worth a ton just because there are so many. 

I also suspect alot of people have had this book tucked away for 30 years and all those haven't hit the census. Which means in 20 years that 33k will likely be much higher.  

I think you should buy a nice copy because it's sentimental to you. But I wouldn't expect it to grow a ton.  

On 6/3/2024 at 12:54 AM, Grendel72 said:

I am quite certain it won't be. 

You are wrong. 

On 6/2/2024 at 11:34 PM, ComicCollector87 said:

Thx man.

What do you think?

1. The census will tell you how many copies have been graded by the CGC. It will also show you the nature of each grade (universal, qualified, signature, and restored) along with how many copies hit a particular grade (143 copies at 9.9; 1453 copies at 9.8, etc). The census is more of a research tool. The gallery is designed for enjoyment and browsing. 

2. "Also I am at the moment starting to collecting some comics that I loved in my childhood and I think I would still buy this one because
I am a fan of Spawn and I want it in my collection." THIS is the MAIN reason to buy any comic! I'm not a fan of approaching this hobby from the perspective of an investor. 

3. "With 33K in the census can this still be a high valuable product in the late future (30-50 years or even later)." Yes. I believe it can be, and I base this on what I've seen with other books. For example, Hulk 181 shouldn't be anywhere as valuable as it is. There are a billion copies out there. Same with Amazing Spider-man 300. These are instances where supply and demand are both extremely high. For years, both books have continued to creep up and up. This phenomenon doesn't make sense from a basic economic standpoint, but it's real. For years and years I've waited for Hulk 181 to crash back down to reasonable levels. But, you know what? It hasn't! I should have bought a 9.8 copy back when I could get one for 6 or 7K. That ship sailed a long time ago, and it's not coming back.

I think that Spawn 1 will at least maintain it's relative value over the years. It's a massively important and historical book (early Image, the most popular Image character, one of the greatest selling comics of all time, etc.). On the downside, McFarlane keeps bumbling the franchise. He sacrificed Spawn to focus on his toy company. A big mistake when you look back at the early 90s - a time when Spawn absolutely dominated the comic scene (he was two to three times more popular than Deadpool back in those days). Sadly, those memories are quickly fading from the cultural zeitgeist. That being said, the memories run strong and deep. If you were a teenager back in those days, you probably owned Spawn 1. 

Although Spawn 1 will not be a ticket to a comfortable retirement by any stretch of the imagination, I definitely don't think it will lose relative value over the years, even if there are a billion of them out there. Also, you really love the book, so I definitely think it's a good investment in that sense. But if you're looking for a book that will continue to rise in value, I'd look elsewhere. The relative value of the book has remained flat and steady for a good while, and I think it will continue along that trajectory.