• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Hulk 181
2 2

34 posts in this topic

For context, book has been pressed, but the color rub/loss is the result of the press.  

Before pressing, book had a stacking crease and a number of heavier creases along the spine, and no color lift of course.

On 6/2/2024 at 5:30 PM, zzutak said:

This is not the type of blemish I'd want to see in an 8.0.  Put me in the CGC 7.0 camp (even if the book has been pressed).  :hi:

x1.jpg.d7b8588b54ea6fd79c9c821856b040df.jpg

Exactly.  This was exactly how I thought about this defect.  My estimate was 6.5, outside 7.0 at best.

On 6/2/2024 at 9:26 PM, Vince G said:

They’re giving away high grades like candy these days.  With the defects, this shouldn't grade any higher than a 7.0 in my opinion.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4435428001/

IMG_9800.jpeg

I agree with you.  I thought was a 7.5 AT BEST and probably a 7.0 ???   But Congrats!!   I have an 8.5 as well that I think looks nicer. 

On 6/2/2024 at 10:09 PM, ROBTOTHEC said:

I agree with you.  I thought was a 7.5 AT BEST and probably a 7.0 ???   But Congrats!!   I have an 8.5 as well that I think looks nicer. 

I have an 8.5 that was graded in 2018.  I imagine if I resubbed that one, it would come back 9.2 using today’s lax grading standards.

I can’t see how this isn’t going to be a problem for the hobby.  The real test will come when collectors try to move books like this that are clearly overgraded.  I certainly wouldn’t buy this copy for 8.5 money.

On 6/2/2024 at 10:30 PM, Vince G said:

I have an 8.5 that was graded in 2018.  I imagine if I resubbed that one, it would come back 9.2 using today’s lax grading standards.

I can’t see how this isn’t going to be a problem for the hobby.  The real test will come when collectors try to move books like this that are clearly overgraded.  I certainly wouldn’t buy this copy for 8.5 money.

IT IS a problem!!  There is no consistency.  I sent one in about 15 years ago that I was hoping might get a 5.5 but I thought it was really a 4.5/5.0.  It came back at 7.5!  With like 25 color breaking spine stress lines.   I sold it immediately but back then I think I got about $600-700 for it. 

You have me wondering how re-submitting mine (8.5) might do? 

They go through periods of stricter and less strict grading.  

Got the last 5+ years, it's felt strict.... maybe that's changing?

I have a beautiful 7.0 I should consider resubbing. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 8:42 AM, KCOComics said:

They go through periods of stricter and less strict grading.  

Got the last 5+ years, it's felt strict.... maybe that's changing?

I have a beautiful 7.0 I should consider resubbing. 

They do but this is probably the most lenient phase I’ve seen since I got back into the hobby in 2011 and started sending books in.

Might as well send yours in.  As more and more of these books come back much higher than expected, the resubs are going to be off the charts.  There are plenty of collectors who buy the book, not the grade, but I’m sure the same can be said for those who buy the grade.  Who knows, if I put this book up at auction it may fetch 8.5 money.

Edited by Vince G

On 6/5/2024 at 10:14 AM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

There has never been a better time to slab your books than right now................

And I'm sure CGC is banking on that fact.  Not sure about you, but I'm paying very close attention to the label if I'm buying a book these days.  The notes won't tell the full story.  Any serial number starting with 42, 43, or 44 may be indicative of a book that's clearly overgraded.  Buyer beware.

On 6/5/2024 at 3:19 PM, Vince G said:

And I'm sure CGC is banking on that fact.  Not sure about you, but I'm paying very close attention to the label if I'm buying a book these days.  The notes won't tell the full story.  Any serial number starting with 42, 43, or 44 may be indicative of a book that's clearly overgraded.  Buyer beware.

This, I am in the 9.6 wheelhouse, but it has to look like a 9.6 before I'm willing to shell out for it.

How did the blemish/rub down the right hand of the book occur during pressing? I ask because I press my own books and don't want this happening if I can help it. 

On 6/5/2024 at 12:58 PM, batmiesta said:

This, I am in the 9.6 wheelhouse, but it has to look like a 9.6 before I'm willing to shell out for it.

How did the blemish/rub down the right hand of the book occur during pressing? I ask because I press my own books and don't want this happening if I can help it. 

Welp, I'm no expert here on how exactly this happened, but my presser changed a bunch of parts in the machine and ran three batches through.  Unfortunately, this book, my Hulk 180, and my Tomb of Dracula 1 were in one of those batches.