• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective #359 -- what would you do (and what should *I* do)?

8 posts in this topic

So I'm planning to try and make the trip to Charlotte for Heroes Con, and I'm looking to bring books to get graded on-site.  One of my candidates to get graded was/is a Detective #359 (1st Batgirl).  I had bought the book many, MANY years ago from a well-respected dealer as a VF/8.0, and the book, in my eyes, fit the criteria well enough when I got it.  It's been forever since I picked it up, but my assumption is that I had taken it out, given it a quick lookover, and then stored it away, where it's been ever since.

Upon taking it out to double-check the grade, I discovered that the inner couple of pages are detached from the lower staple (they're still attached at the upper staple), and presumably have been this way since I picked it up (since it's literally sat in the same location in its box for over a decade, so the detachment hasn't happened since).  This is obviously a bummer (and before anyone chimes in, I don't know how or why I missed it when originally purchasing it, but I did -- the dealer involved has a stellar reputation, so it had to have been an oversight somehow on their part, and inevitably the fault for not catching it lies with me.  I'm not interested in what ifs, and I don't have any ill will towards them since again, ultimately, it was my responsibility to make sure nothing was amiss).

My question is now simply -- what to do with the book?  It's obviously still a well sought-after major key, and a book I don't necessarily want to part with unless I have a replacement in waiting.  If I'm not mistaken, the best technical grade the book could get with the detached pages would be a VG/4.0, or possibly a VG+/4.5. but nothing higher than that, and certainly not the grade I would have been looking for.

I thought about selling it, but my question is whether or not this defect might lend itself to the book getting a qualified grade, and if so, whether that fact might still make it a candidate for submission.  There's no help on GPA to figure out how much of a difference on this book a Qualified grade would be against a Blue label of the same grade, and I frankly have so little experience with Qualified books that I don't know if it would be worth it or not to get it graded.  

Anyone with knowledge and experience with similar defects on a book, how much of a hit a Green label would give the book (and how that grade might be affected), and anything else of help would be appreciated.  My options are: 1) Get it graded and get a qualified label (if that would apply), 2) Get it graded with a Blue label, 3) Keep it raw (since it's eye appeal otherwise is really nice, or 4) Sell it raw (since it should be an easy sell, based on said eye appeal vs. the technical grade.

Any comments or advice, I'm open to hear!  Thanks!

Posted (edited)

It’s a blue label and will be factored in, one detached inner wrap staple is not a serious defect with cgc, you should be satisfied with the grade. 

Edited by Topnotchman

Posted (edited)

From what I can see, I believe your assumption about the possible grade reduction is to severe. You might be selling yourself short. Here's a few examples of blue label CGC grades with one staple detached ....... First Superman with first wrap detached at bottom staple, and then Superboy with back cover detached at top staple .....

image.jpeg.f9c9c39641b88f54e0575828a39670bd.jpeg

image.thumb.png.0d35c1fdeb2421d3a1a3a044f366ca49.png

image.thumb.jpeg.52da510771398bc599822543b583fbc9.jpeg

image.thumb.png.a02bd3ec553d34856952a64cae0f509d.png

Edited by Mokiguy