• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I submit this Manufacturing Error 9.8 CGC USM #1 comic?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Just acquired this Manufacturing Error CGC 9.8 USM #1. Do you guys think I should get this signed once CGC starts doing their Signature Series for USM, or just keep it as is?

This is the only CGC Qualified Grade manufactured error slab that’s a 9.8 and a population of 1 currently on CGC census (Out of 1,173 All Grades). 

Thanks in Advance!

Anthony

cut_usm1_front.jpg

If youre getting it slabbed in a SS holder, one thing to consider is that it might not be a 9.8 after it is signed. In your post, you seem to value the grade pretty high. Do you want to risk a 9.6 or 9.4 post-signing?

Signature series books are a hobby niche; collectors specializing in manufacturing errors are an even smaller niche.  I realize you think you have a valuable book already, but do you really? I hope someone didn't take you to market and sell you some magic beans. 

I'd say it depends on your goals.  If you really love having errors and signatures, and its not a financial burden for you, go to town.  I love supporting these creators and giving them additional opportunities to profit on the entertainment they've provided for us.  Maybe you relish the opportunity to get this comic signed in person by Jon Hickman and shake his hand and see his reaction while he signs it.  I did that with Stan Lee for a comic.

If ultimately your goal is profit, treat it like a business opportunity.  Do the research you can, seeing if you can find other signed/not-signed miscuts or errors, and compare the achievable prices for which data exists.  Find as many data points as makes you can find to feel comfortable with your decision.  Use GPA analysis and/or ebay and/or going on auction websites.  If you don't think you've found enough data to make a good comparison, ask yourself why there may not be enough data - is it a supply issue, a demand issue, a data collection issue?  Are you the kind of person who gambles on incomplete data?  Maybe you'll exploit a loophole in the market, or maybe there is no consistent market.

Also, its even harder to answer without knowing the cost of the CGC SS signing event and who the signer(s) are.

Also, nobody knows your own specific criteria for your collection but you.

Soooooo....it depends.

I can't think of a worse manufacturing error than lopping off a full 1" from the entire unbound vertical edge -- especially when nearly 1100 CGC 9.8 or better Universal copies are available to choose from.  Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. :preach:

7500681.thumb.jpg.12b28c1626e970ba0756544b99caec3e.jpg

So, I don't really have much love for signed books. Take my opinions with a grain of salt. However...

1. The point of signed books is to look cool. This manufacturer's error does not look cool.
  2. The market for signed error copies is much smaller than the market for signed books or the market for error books.
  3. As a strong advocate of comic book historical preservation, I urge collectors not to turn exceedingly rare books -- either by dint of issue, variant, or peculiarities like errors -- into signed books. Thanks.

On 6/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, shadroch said:

Does adding a signature to a green-labeled book turn it into a yellow signature series? 

Bingo.  It will turn into a green/yellow label. 

On 6/6/2024 at 6:19 AM, rumrunner71 said:

I'm also trying to picture an artist being thrilled about signing a copy where the printer lopped off a chunk of their art

Get a video of the reaction and post on instragram/tik tok.  Boom! monetization!!

If you went to a car dealer and they had a special 'one of a kind' Chevrolet with only 3 wheels, manufacturing error, the 'one of a kind' tag isn't going to be a persuasive selling factor. Neither is buying 3 quarters of a comic. Tough but true.

On 6/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

If you went to a car dealer and they had a special 'one of a kind' Chevrolet with only 3 wheels, manufacturing error, the 'one of a kind' tag isn't going to be a persuasive selling factor. Neither is buying 3 quarters of a comic. Tough but true.

I see where you're going, but that's a pretty extreme example.  One of those might literally not be legal to sell, and might cost you your life (or someone else's life) if you try to use it for its intended purpose.  

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, revat said:

I see where you're going, but that's a pretty extreme example.  One of those might literally not be legal to sell, and might cost you your life (or someone else's life) if you try to use it for its intended purpose.  

You're right it was not a good comparison. It just feels off having an incomplete item 'elevated' by a signature. You'd always feel it wasn't as good as a regular SS of the same issue. Unique, yes, but not as satisfying.

Edited by LowGradeBronze