• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #14: Too poor to justify grading?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Is there a grade at which I should just sell my Amazing Spider-Man 14 (1st Green Goblin) as is, and not have it graded. I have lots of other key issues I could grade, but that's my only decent LOW number issue.

People sell 1.0s and 1.8s of books like that all the time. When you’re dealing with ancient books like sub #50 ASMs or whatever, it’s worth getting graded in any condition. That makes life easier for you bc then when you sell it you have grader notes and a cgc grade to inform the buyer of the flaws so they can’t whine about not being told what they are buying later.

I think you are losing out when you slab a book that is 1.0-1.8.  People see books differently and what is a 1.5 to a CGC grader might be a 2.0 to a buyer.  I'd leave it raw, price it aggressively if selling, and be willing to negotiate. It doesn't sound like you are in a rush to sell, so I'd just put it in a shiny new mylar.

Consider looking at the GPA analysis service which tracks sales prices for graded comics.

Then look at how much it would cost to submit to CGC for grading, including time, shipping, invoice fee, grading, insurance, shipping materials, opportunity cost of tying up your money.

Then do you your own comparisons against your own financial/collection goals and see what grade minimum you need to get to be satisfied with the grading process.

Some folks want to ensure a certain absolute dollar value of profit ($50?, $100? $500?, more??), or a percentage return on investment (10%? 50%? 2005? more??).  Everyone is different.  And the market changes all the time too.  Be as conservative or bold as you want to be.  Nobody knows how good you are at grading but you.  Nobody knows your finances but you.  Sounds like you're trying to think of it as purely business, so treat it like a business decision.

The only thing I might to the already great advice here is if you are not confident in your storage abilities if you aren't selling soon. Low grade like that, I wonder how the corners, spine, and pages are holding up. A slab might keep it from going from a 1.5 to a .5. Not forever, and Mylar and care can do the same but still. (And poor shipping or packaging could send it to lower grade territory anyway.) I also tend not to buy really low graded slabs because to me, those are reader copies. If I see a slab, I see a lot of money for plastic I'm going to crack out later.