• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Classic Cover" pulps
2 2

133 posts in this topic

Tarzan is one of those properties (did I just use that word? maybe cuz it gets treated like property :facepalm:) that is some sort of dividing line.  Millennials and Zoomers have pretty much zero attraction, but there's absolutely enormous nostalgia from older generations that watched them as weekend cinema as well as a lot of love from ERB pulpsters (All Story/Argosy, Blue Book) or those that read the novels in paperback with all the great Frazetta covers.  I made a Tarzan reference recently in front of my daughter, and she had zero idea what I was talking about (even though I'd have thought that Disney flick got to her generation, too).

On 6/10/2024 at 1:36 PM, Darwination said:

Tarzan is one of those properties (did I just use that word? maybe cuz it gets treated like property :facepalm:) that is some sort of dividing line.  Millennials and Zoomers have pretty much zero attraction, but there's absolutely enormous nostalgia from older generations that watched them as weekend cinema as well as a lot of love from ERB pulpsters (All Story/Argosy, Blue Book) or those that read the novels in paperback with all the great Frazetta covers.  I made a Tarzan reference recently in front of my daughter, and she had zero idea what I was talking about (even though I'd have thought that Disney flick got to her generation, too).

To not drift away from the thread topic, If I were to pick 5 Pulps that have keyworthy notoriety AND great covers, the 1st All Story Tarzan would easily top my list. The cover to the first Conan Weird Tales has grown on me and I SO regret not getting a solid fine for 3K when I could barely afford it. That would be my second choice. I'd have to think on the final three slots. A Lovecraft Astounding pops to mind, but not exactly Key. The cover to 1st Cthulu doesn't particularly move me to song and dance. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/10/2024 at 12:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

Classic covered nipple cover...

20240610_120302.jpg

Crazy nice condition on this o.O  Ghost Stories has some really cool covers (and content - Macfadden mags are awesome), and I wonder if any of them in more common style of the magazine will get noted as classic. The two I think are easy calls are the last couple in the run which are in a totally different style than most (and the cat one reprints an earlier cover).  Have no idea if others feel the same way about the classic status (not my copies, I've bid on these over the years but always come up short).  Curious if anyone knows anything about the artist, a Stuart Leach, don't think I've ever seen anything

GhostStories1931-12coverblackcat.JPG.39713cd82628e839f61b20b06cd2ea15.JPG

ghoststories31_10.jpg.679d20dccc4b582cbd2e12f4294667a0.jpg

On 6/10/2024 at 2:00 PM, Darwination said:

Crazy nice condition on this o.O  Ghost Stories has some really cool covers (and content - Macfadden mags are awesome), and I wonder if any of them in more common style of the magazine will get noted as classic. The two I think are easy calls are the last couple in the run which are in a totally different style than most (and the cat one reprints an earlier cover).  Have no idea if others feel the same way about the classic status (not my copies, I've bid on these over the years but always come up short).  Curious if anyone knows anything about the artist, a Stuart Leach, don't think I've ever seen anything

I was just a click away from suggesting the black cat Ghost. I was fortunate to own the McLaughlin copy briefly. It resides with a boardie now. The whole run of Ghost that John had amassed were uniformly nice, and I had the chance to have the group fronted to me for a year, and I stupidly passed. Doing Stupid Right, Since 1959. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

On 6/10/2024 at 12:47 PM, jimjum12 said:

To not drift away from the thread topic, If I were to pick 5 Pulps that have keyworthy notoriety AND great covers, the 1st All Story Tarzan would easily top my list. The cover to the first Conan Weird Tales has grown on me and I SO regret not getting a solid fine for 3K when I could barely afford it. That would be my second choice. I'd have to think on the final three slots. A Lovecraft Astounding pops to mind, but not exactly Key. The cover to 1st Cthulu doesn't particularly move me to song and dance. GOD BLESS ...

Yeah, this is a reason I really like the 1st All Story Tarzan getting a lot of attention recently as far as the first slabbed pulp and whatnot.  It's a perfect counterpoint to Action 1 as far as cover meeting content.  I got a huge kick out of you making some crack about that one regarding "caveman art" :fear:

On 6/10/2024 at 1:00 PM, Darwination said:

I have one of the later at CGC now, so we will find out soon.

On 6/10/2024 at 8:04 AM, Bookery said:

At first I was wondering about that too... however, the June '48 Amazing above isn't even broken out of the run in my guide.  I do think there is a tendency (and maybe I was guilty of it in the guide too... I'd have to review all of the entries) to place anything with a skeleton cover as "classic".  But there are probably hundreds of them in pulpdom.  I do think the FFM above qualifies... green skeleton, green shroud, jawless and with those bizarre egg-yolk eyes... there's really nothing else like it, and by one of the best artists in the business to boot.  The DFW is also a particularly fine example of this "sub-genre" of cover art, so I don't have a problem with that designation either.  But there is also a tendency to call anything with a nude or semi-nude on the cover as "classic", and I don't agree with that.  In fact, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think many of the Brundage covers are over-rated as "classic" covers.  Maybe 2 or 3 might make my cut (I don't even particularly like the bat-woman cover, but would concede its status just because of how often it has been reprinted).  

Brundage is the most overrated pulp cover artist. 

On 6/10/2024 at 5:56 PM, Sarg said:

You're joking right? Have you ever seen a photo of Margaret Brundage? Even her dirty laundry would be classic. :bigsmile:

This one was just posted in a Facebook group that I follow and is a good example of why designating classics is difficult in Pulpdom. So much choice material, who can discriminate? I've always said, if a third party has to decide what's classic, how classic is it, really? GOD BLESS ...

Here's another question, to even further muddy the waters ....

Is this a classic? or is THIS a classic?

MEME AMAZING STORIES.jpg

MEME 48 CADDY.jpg

On 6/11/2024 at 6:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

You're joking right? Have you ever seen a photo of Margaret Brundage? Even her dirty laundry would be classic. :bigsmile:

This one was just posted in a Facebook group that I follow and is a good example of why designating classics is difficult in Pulpdom. So much choice material, who can discriminate? I've always said, if a third party has to decide what's classic, how classic is it, really? GOD BLESS ...

Here's another question, to even further muddy the waters ....

Is this a classic? or is THIS a classic?

MEME AMAZING STORIES.jpg

MEME 48 CADDY.jpg

I quickly vote for photo #2. I believe that is a Delicorte? Problem is, it was so limited and rare that very few people have ever seen one. A classic car from the Art Deco style…

On 6/11/2024 at 11:55 AM, Robot Man said:

I quickly vote for photo #2. I believe that is a Delicorte? Problem is, it was so limited and rare that very few people have ever seen one. A classic car from the Art Deco style…

That WAS kind of stacking the deck a bit, eh? I was happy just to find the image. :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

On 6/10/2024 at 2:56 PM, Sarg said:

I'll second that.  She was undeniably excellent, and her covers are spectacular... but she had her one lane and she stuck in it, and she didn't do that many covers in total.  An A-list artist?  Yes.  The end-all and be-all of pulp artists, which is where a lot of people want to put her?  No.

On 6/11/2024 at 2:46 PM, Bugfarm said:

A few classics in my opinion (as a long time collector of horror/sci-fi pulps)

IMG_1173.jpeg

IMG_1692.jpeg

IMG_0031.png

2020 2.jpeg

Scan 2.jpeg

Scan 4.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

Scan 4.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0481.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

Not a dud in the lot. I've long admired the execution and style employed on the shudder pulps. There's just nothing else quite like them. GOD BLESS ...

PULP HORROR STORIES 11-12.jpg

On 6/11/2024 at 5:02 PM, Darwination said:

Definitely in the tradition of slasher films and the like where old ugly people torture young beautiful people (women specifically) in varied and inventive ways.  

.... a serendipitous homage to the crushing drain of our vitality, by the Industrial Automation Complex. A slow, strategic purging of the worker class in an effort to delicately strip them of their value, as they are slowly removed from the equation. And some say there is no devil. Don't get me started :bigsmile: GOD BLESS... 

MEME ELVIS.png

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/11/2024 at 4:25 PM, jimjum12 said:

.... a serendipitous homage to the crushing drain of our vitality, by the Industrial Automation Complex. A slow, strategic purging of the worker class in an effort to delicately strip them of their value as they are slowly removed from the equation. And some say there is no devil. Don't get me started :bigsmile: GOD BLESS... 

MEME ELVIS.png

Never once have I thought about all the mechanization at play on these covers along with toying with of humanity by "science."  And the mention of the devil is on target, too, all these hooded figures in red and blood offerings to some dark lord...

(worship)

On 6/11/2024 at 6:04 PM, Darwination said:

Never once have I thought about all the mechanization at play on these covers along with toying with of humanity by "science."  And the mention of the devil is on target, too, all these hooded figures in red and blood offerings to some dark lord...

(worship)

And to think. it is all a fairly crisp parallel to the Birth Of The Machine that was already cresting towards the class wide extinction agenda of the workers,  nearly deifying the Corpulent few. Ouch! An insidious deviltry that lurks in the shadows of reality, almost hiding in plain sight. If that doesn't step on someone's toes, nothing will. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

Satire make Huk's head hurt :tonofbricks:

Edited by jimjum12

Here's an example of the difficulty in achieving consensus with regards to the "Classic" Cover category. I personally find this one as, or more, classic than many of it's earlier counterparts. Others, however, consider it just another goofy example of a mundane issue of Amazing Worlds. (shrug) This is NOT an isolated case at all. There are many, many more GOD BLESS ...

100_3361.JPG