• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What exactly is a Bindery Chip?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Looking at CGC's grading information area under Restoration/Conservation I read this ...... image.thumb.png.d017962d8db651ab81d978cbfc5a627a.png

So what exactly is a bindery chip and how large is the size of two bindery chips? Thanks .......

From Heritage Auctions - Bindery chips, a common defect in Golden Age comics, are considered printing defects, and are relatively acceptable in the market. Restoration on such a defect by itself would usually be considered excessive.

Marvel Chipping - The most famous is probably "Marvel Chipping" which is a bindery (trimming/ cutting) defect that results in a series of chips and tears at the top, bottom, and right edges of the cover, caused when the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull.

Example Of Marvel Chipping

how-does-marvel-chipping-effect-the-grade-v0-jfyfoepuligb1.webp

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 6/14/2024 at 10:11 AM, marvelmaniac said:

From Heritage Auctions - Bindery chips, a common defect in Golden Age comics, are considered printing defects, and are relatively acceptable in the market. Restoration on such a defect by itself would usually be considered excessive.

Marvel Chipping - The most famous is probably "Marvel Chipping" which is a bindery (trimming/ cutting) defect that results in a series of chips and tears at the top, bottom, and right edges of the cover, caused when the cutting blade of an industrial paper trimmer becomes dull.

Example Of Marvel Chipping

how-does-marvel-chipping-effect-the-grade-v0-jfyfoepuligb1.webp

Thank you ........ that's an excellent answer, but because CGC isn't very clear on what a bindery chips size is in their opinion, I'm still in the dark as to what CGC means by no more than two bindery chips. Looking at your example, there are three bindery chips in a row. The first looks to be less than 1 mm by 1/2 mm, the second about 1 mm by 10 mm, and the third about 1 mm by 20 mm. Now if CGC would clarify what they think the size of a bindery chip is, I'd have my answer!

On 6/14/2024 at 6:02 PM, Mokiguy said:

Thank you ........ that's an excellent answer, but because CGC isn't very clear on what a bindery chips size is in their opinion, I'm still in the dark as to what CGC means by no more than two bindery chips. Looking at your example, there are three bindery chips in a row. The first looks to be less than 1 mm by 1/2 mm, the second about 1 mm by 10 mm, and the third about 1 mm by 20 mm. Now if CGC would clarify what they think the size of a bindery chip is, I'd have my answer!

Do they list any of this in their own grading guide?

On 6/15/2024 at 4:18 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Do they list any of this in their own grading guide?

I suppose I will have to buy their grading guide to see, unless somebody that already has their guide will chime in. But all they have here at the CGC site is exactly what I copied and pasted and that doesn't clarify the issue.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:12 AM, Mokiguy said:

I suppose I will have to buy their grading guide to see, unless somebody that already has their guide will chime in. But all they have here at the CGC site is exactly what I copied and pasted and that doesn't clarify the issue.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of gray areas when it comes to grading based on the words used in the grading standards such as...accumulation, imperceptible, minute, subtle, slight, minor, moderate, significant, severe and then they use adverbs/adjectives along with those words like, barely, some, very, almost, tiny, small, none of these words have a true black and white definitive meaning as far as amount or size. All of this leads to individual perception of a book when grading and inconsistencies in grading.

CGC is not going to give away all of their trade secrets, they probably go by the saying...

"I taught you everything you know, not everything I know."

Hopefully someone with the CGC Grading Guide or who has actual experience with this will chime in.

On 6/16/2024 at 8:12 AM, Mokiguy said:

I suppose I will have to buy their grading guide to see...

It is an EXCELLENT investment. Highly recommended. 

Lord have mercy.  :facepalm:

Bindery chips are not defined or limited by size but by location.  Bindery chips are the tiny chips missing from either the very top or the very bottom of the spine (or both).  They often occur as a result of handling/mishandling books (usually 52-page and thicker Golden Age books) that are manufactured with a bindery tear.  Handling/mishandling causes the tear to daylight at the top/bottom edge and voila, the tiny/small tear morphs into a tiny/small chip.

Marvel chips are NOT bindery chips.  Totally different mechanisms, locations, and eras.  :pullhair:

Here are two examples.  The More Fun has the chip at the top, while the Captain America has the chip at the bottom.  Note to CGC: it's "bindery" not "bindary" (d-oh!).

x1.thumb.jpg.c9e8589ec5d00f61f675a4ed2b5e219e.jpg x1.png.2c0deca2adb8ee6e8bc03a4e869ba667.png x2.thumb.jpg.a33a801f9647f124e10c17a6d0aab6f7.jpg x2.png.bb408d2c1650ae92127e71127c5b8e57.png

Edited by zzutak

On 6/16/2024 at 11:02 AM, zzutak said:

Lord have mercy.  :facepalm:

Bindery chips are not defined or limited by size but by location.  Bindery chips are the tiny chips missing from either the very top or the very bottom of the spine (or both).  They often occur as a result of handling/mishandling books (usually 52-page and thicker Golden Age books) that are manufactured with a bindery tear.  Handling/mishandling causes the tear to daylight at the top/bottom edge and voila, the tiny/small tear morphs into a tiny/small chip.

Marvel chips are NOT bindery chips.  Totally different mechanisms, locations, and eras.  :pullhair:

Here are two examples.  The More Fun has the chip at the top, while the Captain America has the chip at the bottom.  Note to CGC: it's "bindery" not "bindary" (d-oh!).

x1.thumb.jpg.c9e8589ec5d00f61f675a4ed2b5e219e.jpg x1.png.2c0deca2adb8ee6e8bc03a4e869ba667.png x2.thumb.jpg.a33a801f9647f124e10c17a6d0aab6f7.jpg x2.png.bb408d2c1650ae92127e71127c5b8e57.png

Agreed, the bindery is the spine where the book is bound together.