• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Power of One! The Power of Two! The Power of Star Wars Comics are going to zerooooooooo?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I'm with the posters above in agreement that the quality of Star Wars is all over the place. 

I've got great memories of the original trilogy (seeing Empire at the drive-in, waiting in line for hours to see Jedi on opening night) and similarly great memories of my own kids playing with light sabers as Anakin and Ahsoka from their love of the Clone Wars cartoons and prequels.  When I watch them now, the dialogue is so, so bad in the original trilogy, but the characters remain classic and archetypal.  The prequels have similarly bad dialogue but the galaxy-building is far more involved and thought out.  The sequel trilogy has some striking scenes but is horribly uneven in plotting.  I do remember cheering crowds at the first one. There were some good Clone Wars comics, but the original Marvel series doesn't do anything for me.

I guess I'm happy just to get an array of content now and don't really feel like any of it is "sacred" text.  I loved Mando as a throwback to the episodic western. Andor is as good or better than anything else in the universe.  The Obi Wan series and Ahsoka were both enjoyable enough.  I haven't gotten to Acolyte and don't hesitate to say I avoid all reviews these days.  The entire wokeness meets reactionary rage has poisoned the well in most areas of fandom to the point I don't trust anybody.  I get that the agendas have messed with the storytelling, but I'll also see flicks that get attacked as overly waken that seem entirely innocuous to me (shrug)

On 6/17/2024 at 12:41 PM, Darwination said:

The entire wokeness meets reactionary rage has poisoned the well in most areas of fandom to the point I don't trust anybody.  I get that the agendas have messed with the storytelling, but I'll also see flicks that get attacked as overly waken that seem entirely innocuous to me (shrug)

It does seem that a lot of the excessive emotion about Disney stems from political sensitivity not objective reviews. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2024 at 12:41 PM, Darwination said:

I'm with the posters above in agreement that the quality of Star Wars is all over the place. 

I've got great memories of the original trilogy (seeing Empire at the drive-in, waiting in line for hours to see Jedi on opening night) and similarly great memories of my own kids playing with light sabers as Anakin and Ahsoka from their love of the Clone Wars cartoons and prequels.  When I watch them now, the dialogue is so, so bad in the original trilogy, but the characters remain classic and archetypal.  The prequels have similarly bad dialogue but the galaxy-building is far more involved and thought out.  The sequel trilogy has some striking scenes but is horribly uneven in plotting.  I do remember cheering crowds at the first one. There were some good Clone Wars comics, but the original Marvel series doesn't do anything for me.

I guess I'm happy just to get an array of content now and don't really feel like any of it is "sacred" text.  I loved Mando as a throwback to the episodic western. Andor is as good or better than anything else in the universe.  The Obi Wan series and Ahsoka were both enjoyable enough.  I haven't gotten to Acolyte and don't hesitate to say I avoid all reviews these days.  The entire wokeness meets reactionary rage has poisoned the well in most areas of fandom to the point I don't trust anybody.  I get that the agendas have messed with the storytelling, but I'll also see flicks that get attacked as overly waken that seem entirely innocuous to me (shrug)

What ever happened that one the best CGC boardie innocuous? :cry:

On 6/17/2024 at 1:54 PM, sfcityduck said:

It does seem that a lot of the excessive emotion about Disney stems from political sensitivity not objective reviews. 

Most people here seem to be pretty objective backed with logical points.

Star Wars is mostly based on political themes and religious orders.  WW 2 Germany and the Empire case in point.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/18/2024 at 4:02 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

What ever happened that one the best CGC boardie innocuous? :cry:

Most people here seem to be pretty objective backed with logical points.

Star Wars is mostly based on political themes and religious orders.  WW 2 Germany and the Empire case in point.

I was not being critical of you or anyone else on this thread. I was commenting D's comment on general feelings about Disney "wokeness" - something you see raised in a lot of contexts both in politics and in debates like this about certain movies and tv shows. 

My position on this seem shared by a lot of people: Star Wars has always been inconsistent in quality, and this is far from the worst era of Star Wars that I've seen.

I truly believe Andor was one of the best shows on tv. Mandalorian was a very fun riff on a lot of Western tropes. Obi Wan was fan service. I enjoyed Ahsoka even though I think it was service to a cartoon that meant nothing to me not being that young when it came out. For me, the first Star Wars movie was the most impactful - I watched it over 10 times in the theaters - but when I saw it in the theater on the reissue shortly before the second trilogy came out, all I could say to myself is you can't go home again. I read all the Star Wars books starting with Star Wars itself, when the movie came out, and including Splinter of the Mind's Eye (which is cringy now) and the Solo and Calrissian books, Zahn, Roque Squadron, and on up until the point that the stories started focusing on Han and Leia's kids fighting alien empires and they'd completely lost their way. The comics never did it for me though. Better than Star Trek comics, not as good as Star Wars books and movies. They were never really canon. And I just think the artists and writers at Marvel handling most licensed properties phoned it in during the later 70s and 80s. Others disagree. I'm always surprised so many kids loved ROM. I bought them only for the Golden covers. Micronauts on the other hand was great for a bit - again because of Golden.

• Administrator

I'm not a fan of seeing discussions about  w o k e.  That's why there is a filter for that word.  We don't need this  on the forum, as it often leads to politics.  There are other forums for these types of discussions.  Circumventing the filter violates the terms of use.  So, tread lightly, as warnings may be issued.   

I’m ok if Star Wars drops. I’m not a super fan but do really enjoy the original trilogy. I have a handful of related comics (the treasuries, the one early marvel graphic, a nice graded Star Wars 42). If the first issue drops down a bit I would definitely acquire it.  Getting a nice higher grade copy for under $100 is my goal in the next couple years and maybe this terrible show helps that a bit 

Posted (edited)

:news: E5 was actually enjoyable (well for this show lol)

Definitely the best episode of The Acolyte season so far.

The light saber fights actually were good for TV and some new and innovative ways to end Jedi lives!

I mean the best part was "Joker Who Laughs Kylo Ren" killing all those Jedi's that were the annoying characters on the show. 

The main Twins on the show are still cringe to watch and their acting is god awful.  This will still go down as the worst Star Wars show in history, but this episode was at least enjoyable for the whopping 28 mins it streamed.

I think most agree this show is very bad, but I wonder do any of you also agree with me on these opinions?

The Acolyte takes place about 100 Years before the birth of Anakin Skywalker, but it seems as if their technology as as a whole has not advanced much since then.  It feels close to the birth timeline of Anakin Skywalker then 100 years ago.  I mean if you look at USA 1924 till 2024 is a gigantic leap.

Disney+ shows are trying to make made for TV movies into 6-8 episode seasons.  Each episode being barely 25-28 minutes is just too short, and mix in 12-15 minutes of commercials is just taxing to watch these.  5+ minutes of each episode are end credits.

The main problem is most of the time these Disney+ shows feel they are just cheaply put together in all aspects of production.  I feel I am back in High School seeing my friends put on a play for the school, family, and friends.   It just doesn't feel Star Wars to me anymore, especially the lore.

Lastly I think they really need to stop de-mystifying "The Force."  

I also want to say if you are enjoying this show or others that Disney has done I am very jealous of that, and I wish I was with you. Unfortunately for me Disney has killed Star Wars so bad that I now barely even enjoy the Original Trilogy anymore.  :cry:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I'm a firm believer that Disney should 100% stop touching anything related to Star Wars for about 20-25 years. In that time there will be new sets of eyes that have grown up to look at all things SW and maybe getting a fresh look could invigorate the franchise once again. The shows they've put out over the last several years have just been hard to watch. The storytelling is god awful and instead of being original they try to always tie into the original SW trilogy. I enjoyed Clone Wars, Rogue One and Mando, other than that I've felt every single series that Disney has pushed out has been . The original trilogy does it for me and I had really high hopes for 7, 8, and 9 but they just fell flat like everything else. And I agree that they need to stop de-mystifying "The Force". 

I started the Acolyte and didn't even finish the first episode. I've only heard rumblings of the chant that you reference at the beginning of this thread, OP, but it seems like the hate for that cringe is spot on. 

Am I looking a this through rose-tinted glasses and hoping it's like what I remember watching growing up as a kid? Probably so. That's something I have to live with, though. 

And Jar Jar Binks... Well, I think enough has been said about that character. 

On 6/26/2024 at 9:01 AM, iggykoopa said:

I'm a firm believer that Disney should 100% stop touching anything related to Star Wars for about 20-25 years. In that time there will be new sets of eyes that have grown up to look at all things SW and maybe getting a fresh look could invigorate the franchise once again. The shows they've put out over the last several years have just been hard to watch. The storytelling is god awful and instead of being original they try to always tie into the original SW trilogy. I enjoyed Clone Wars, Rogue One and Mando, other than that I've felt every single series that Disney has pushed out has been . The original trilogy does it for me and I had really high hopes for 7, 8, and 9 but they just fell flat like everything else. And I agree that they need to stop de-mystifying "The Force". 

I started the Acolyte and didn't even finish the first episode. I've only heard rumblings of the chant that you reference at the beginning of this thread, OP, but it seems like the hate for that cringe is spot on. 

Am I looking a this through rose-tinted glasses and hoping it's like what I remember watching growing up as a kid? Probably so. That's something I have to live with, though. 

And Jar Jar Binks... Well, I think enough has been said about that character. 

Well to be frank zero chance of that.  They didn't spend all that money to have all these characters sit on the sidelines.  It's been 5+ years now since the last movie, honestly its time for a movie.  All they have to do is make a Rogue One style movie but set before that timeline and called it "Vader."  Hunting and killing the Jedi while seeing the full strength of the Empire, and at the end you have a glimmer of hope as one Jedi gets away etc.   But for some reason Disney doesnt want to make a a billion dollars, and instead they are hell bend of not giving what the fans want and keep losing millions of dollars.

I will take listening to Jar Jar on a loop over most what they have put out since being owned by Disney.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:06 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Well to be frank zero chance of that.  They didn't spend all that money to have all these characters sit on the sidelines.  It's been 5+ years now since the last movie, honestly its time for a movie.  All they have to do is make a Rogue One style movie but set before that timeline and called it "Vader."  Hunting and killing the Jedi while seeing the full strength of the Empire, and at the end you have a glimmer of hope as one Jedi gets away etc.   But for some reason Disney doesnt want to make a a billion dollars, and instead they are hell bend of not giving what the fans want and keep losing millions of dollars.

I will take listening to Jar Jar on a loop over most what they have put out since being owned by Disney.

I definitely agree it will never happen. Just saying what I think would be best (IMO). 

I'm right next to you listening to Jar Jar on a loop!!

On 6/26/2024 at 8:27 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I also want to say if you are enjoying this show or others that Disney has done I am very jealous of that, and I wish I was with you. Unfortunately for me Disney has killed Star Wars so bad that I now barely even enjoy the Original Trilogy anymore.  :cry:

While I sympathize with your pain, fortunately, I think you are a in minority. 

Time and technology have made the original trilogy far less impactful for me then it was to my 11 year old self. When it came out it was off the scale in terms of visual effects, story, costumes, everything. Now I see it with new eyes that are jaded by quality special effects in just about everything. That's ok. I still enjoy the story, but it can't possibly have the same impact on me that it did when it first came out.

The key to enjoying any massive property like Disney or Star Wars or Marvel or DC is to pick your poisons. I've never watched a Marvel cartoon. To my eyes, they all suck. The tv shows are a bit better but not worth my time. Why watch them? Especially, when I can watch a great cartoon like Avatar: Airbender or higher quality DC tv? But Marvel live action movies are generally on balance an enjoyable watch so long as you're not looking for great revelations or "fine cinema" - they are bubble gum that give pleasure. Much more than DC cinema which can still be ok. Back to Airbender, though, and the live action is unworthy of the quality of the cartoon - so why watch that? You just have to pick your poisons.

The notion that because you don't enjoy the shows doesn't mean that they should be shut down. Obviously, lots of others do enjoy them. It's entitled to think otherwise. None of us are the star of the movie that is life. 

In any event, I can understand giving up on Andor after the first episode. I cannot understand watching the whole series and failing to see its brilliance. Reasonable minds can disagree, tastes differ, but the camp of people that view Andor as some of the best Star Wars ever made is large. The final episode is the best acted and directed Star Wars ever put to film in my opinion - and it was done without constant green screens.

I also enjoy the stuff that is fan service to my youth - Mandalorian etc. I'm not going to claim any of its is Emmy worthy. It's just fun. And with comics and Star Wars that's largely the point. The rare cases will an Andor with incredible acting, adult level plots, and outstanding direction/production/etc.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:08 PM, Tnexus said:

I've certainly been critical of almost all the Disney Star Wars since it's inception, but even I think this one is getting way too much unnecessary hate. There's a lot I'm eye rolling in The Acolyte, but at least they're telling an original story with original characters for once.

I don't feel like the Acolyte is a home run, but I have enjoyed it more than most of the Disney Star Wars stuff, if only because it's a largely unexplored setting and a new cast of characters. TBH I think the well is pretty well poisoned on any kind of public review forum for anything Star Wars related, hence it's better to talk to friends or just check it out for myself rather than whatever RT or Metacritic or whatever shows. 

On 6/26/2024 at 9:28 AM, rlextherobot said:

TBH I think the well is pretty well poisoned on any kind of public review forum for anything Star Wars related, hence it's better to talk to friends or just check it out for myself rather than whatever RT or Metacritic or whatever shows. 

Um .... check out this amazingly high 96% fresh critic reviews and 87% avg. audience score for Andor:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/andor

But, I agree, that review sites do get swarmed by people who are downgrading shows, often without having seen them, for political reasons. So the critics are better indicators than the audience these days and your friends you trust (assuming no biases) likely your best bet.

Edited by sfcityduck

There have been a few really bright spots for me, and I'll bet most will agree...

Spoiler

Vader at the end of Rogue One

Andor

First two seasons of Mando.

Vader Force-grabbing the ship and pulling it down at the end of Obi-Wan. (Don't you wish Luke had done this in person to the walkers in Last Jedi?)

Vader saying through hie shattered mask (and lit in red), "I'm not your failure, Obi-Wan. You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker...*I* did." with the tiniest of half-smiles. (I get goose-bumps every time I watch this.)

Luke at the end of Mando slicing through the Darktroopers.

As the saying goes, even the sun shines on a dog's rump once in a while.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 6/26/2024 at 9:20 AM, sfcityduck said:

That show is Andor.

Agreed good show!  I heard they are actually going to sign Ben Mendelsohn for S2!