• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first backissues "expensive"...

75 posts in this topic

for many many years i was mostly a newsstand and cheap 1980s back issues guy, when in a span of about 2 weeks several summers back, i purchased myself raw copies of:

IM 1 VG

Subby 1 Fine

Subby 8 VF-

PPSSM NM+

(and a few others, can't think of them right now)

those few books overnight kinda changed the "feeling" of my collection, if u know what i mean.

This could be a embarrassing question to ask - because what could be considered expensive to some could be considered chump change to others.

To me any book over $50 is expensive, eventhough I have been known to buy $300-400 books on any given day.

I would have to say the day I bought ASM 100 in CGC grade

(meaning I decided to extend my ASM run from 101 and up to starting to buy the first 100 in CGC grade) this was when I got the expensive book bug...

smirk.gif

My first expensive issue was a Batman 3 in NM- for 1300 from Carlos Rosario as Brain Damage comics in Brooklyn. My second was Detective 37 in VF/NM for 800.00 and my 3rd was Captain America # 1 for 4000.00 all from Carlos Rosario in 1989 and I was 21 years old.

I paid him off on big batch of batman books and I handed him a bank check for 4grand for the Cap. Unfortunately I later sold all of these books to Fishler.

to everyone

what were your first "expensive" backissues when you started being a more serious collector/fan?!

regards

In 2002 I bought my first $100 book... FF#57 in 9.0/9.2

In 2003 I spent $250+ on a FF#5 in 4.0

In 2004 I dropped 500+ on a FF#2 in 4.5

And this year (last week) I spent $1200 on a single book

I felt queasy on each and every occasion and looking at the list I don't like where this is going 893whatthe.gif

Well, to me paying for more then 7 to 10 bucks on a comic is expensive. For back issues mainly. BUT nonetheless my first expensive one is 5 bucks on Marvel Super-heros Secret Wars #1 in VF condition. But still 20+ dollars cheaper then that of buying the Graphic Novel.

I am wanting to spend the 15 on USM #1, and 10 on ASM #99. But idk if it's worth it.

This could be a embarrassing question to ask - because what could be considered expensive to some could be considered chump change to others.

To me any book over $50 is expensive, eventhough I have been known to buy $300-400 books on any given day.

I would have to say the day I bought ASM 100 in CGC grade

(meaning I decided to extend my ASM run from 101 and up to starting to buy the first 100 in CGC grade) this was when I got the expensive book bug...

smirk.gif

i prefer to not define expensive as an specific $$$ number...each one will just share/present their choices, either they be a 5$ comic or a 5.000$.

from my side i remember buying the DD miller complete run some years ago (end of the 90's) for around 120$, it was great re-discovering those fabulous stories!!!

one of my most expensive ones was x-men 94 in around VF/NM for 300$...crazy money for a comic book, but i love this one!!!

regards

Dude, are tyou talking about "DareDevil: The Man Without Fear" the five part run? With the cool covers? Or what? I think the ones I am talking about came out in the early/late 90's. Heck, idk if there done my miller. Now I need to check.

This DareDevil: http://comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?whichpage=&comicTableID=1611&pub=1

Probably the X-Men # 1 I ordered for $13.00 back in 1970. Guide was around $8.00, but I didn't even know there was a guide until a couple years later.

Robert Bell also had FF 1 and Spider-Man 1 listed for $100.00, which might as well have been a $1,000.00 back then.

In 1979, I spent $4.50 on a VF Iron Man #2 at Mike's Comic Hut in Flushing, Queens. I wrestled with the purchase for probably 30 minutes but ultimately pulled the trigger. I never told my mother because it would have gotten me in trouble. Still own the book and will never get rid of it.