• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first backissues "expensive"...

75 posts in this topic

A low-grade, overpriced X-Men #1 for $200 back in the mid-eighties when I was 12 or 13 from my LCS. Saved up for like 6 months and that was my baby for a long time. Picked up a FN Hulk 181 for about $90 not long after. Got out of comics for about 10 years but when I got back in the late 90's the first big purchases I made were GS X-Men 1 9.0 for $500 and a 7.0 X-men 94, 8.0 Hulk 181 and 9.4 IF 14 all three together for $600. My biggest purchase recently was The Funnies #35 7.0 (file copy) for $400.

The first expensive comic was Daredevil #158 in NM for $40 at a MLPS con in 81 or 82. I sold it about 12 years later for $40 foreheadslap.gif

First over $100 was Batman #30 in about VG

The most I've spent on a single book is $450 for VG+ FC #74, and I don't see ever spending that much again on one book (assuming I still want to stay married 27_laughing.gif)

Cool thread, for me when I was a kid spending $20 on a book was a lot. I paid $20 for ASM # 40 (1st Origin of the Green Goblin), condition F+. I brought it from Gene's Comics in Queens Village, NY!!

Recently the most I spent was $105 for ASM #252 CGC 9.6 and ASM #300 CGC 9.0.

Money was very hard to come by as a kid for me too,so I finagled books the best I could.I remember trading a Hulk #2 in VG+(with expert magic marker color touch by me,doh!)an ASM #2 in VG and a DD#1 in F+ for a Captain America Comics #33 in a solid VF+/NM-.I swapped it at a NY convention in 1977.(still have the convention book too,with the story on the Cap 1940 's serials in it 893applaud-thumb.gif).Looking back,I think I did pretty good for a 12 yr old. thumbsup2.gif I loved that Schomburg cover(the book looked like it just came off the newsstand)

and held on to it till the late 80's when I sold it for about $500.That was the only GA book I ever owned,but one day I plan on getting it back(probably for 6k tonofbricks.gif)

My first buy over $100 was in 1995 I bought around 10 comics for $120 included in that was an Amazing Spiderman 129 and a Hulk 181. I usually buy modern issues and silver/Bronze age $20-40 issues. The only other comic I remember spending over $100 on was my FF48.