• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth sending for JSA verification?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I am wondering if this comic is worth sending in for JSA verification and whether it has a chance to pass.  I bought this already signed with no COA and was not personally witnessed.  Not a key issue.  I just thought it was a cool book.

IMG_1007.jpeg

There are enough CGC SS copies of these signatures images available on the internet (ebay is a good place to start) that you should have ample comparisons so you can make your own amateur evaluation, similar to what any random internet stranger could do.  You can spend as much time as you like doing the comparisons to get comfortable that one or both are legit or not-legit.

As for possible market value, the JSA/CGC verification is very new, and market hasn't really been established yet, so its hard to know what an achievable value is on the open market. Another huge factor would be what the grade would be.  So part of your decision making might be related to what you think the grade is, and how good you think you are at grading.  Additionally, everyone has their own cost/benefit ratio that they prefer for submission, which is based on both finances and collection goals, which are incredibly specific to each person.

Good luck

On 6/21/2024 at 1:41 PM, revat said:

There are enough CGC SS copies of these signatures images available on the internet (ebay is a good place to start) that you should have ample comparisons so you can make your own amateur evaluation, similar to what any random internet stranger could do.  You can spend as much time as you like doing the comparisons to get comfortable that one or both are legit or not-legit.

As for possible market value, the JSA/CGC verification is very new, and market hasn't really been established yet, so its hard to know what an achievable value is on the open market. Another huge factor would be what the grade would be.  So part of your decision making might be related to what you think the grade is, and how good you think you are at grading.  Additionally, everyone has their own cost/benefit ratio that they prefer for submission, which is based on both finances and collection goals, which are incredibly specific to each person.

Good luck

Thanks.  I have looked at many CGC witnessed books for reference.  I actually thought the signatures of both looked pretty good.  One of the concerns I had was the Stan Lee sig is very clean compared to the many normal fast signatures I have come across.  That caused me to pause.  Jim Lee’s is fairly consistent but probably easy to fake.

I was also curious if anyone had experience getting a Stan Lee sig verified by JSA yet.  I understand it is fairly new with CGC, but I have heard other companies that verify signatures have a very low acceptance rate on Stan Lee sigs because of how it has varied over the years and how often it is forged.  I wasn’t sure if JSA’s service was similarly tough.  

The selling value is less important to me at this point.  

Either way, I appreciate the info.

On 6/21/2024 at 1:11 PM, DanJD said:

Thanks.  I have looked at many CGC witnessed books for reference.  I actually thought the signatures of both looked pretty good.  One of the concerns I had was the Stan Lee sig is very clean compared to the many normal fast signatures I have come across.  That caused me to pause.  Jim Lee’s is fairly consistent but probably easy to fake.

I was also curious if anyone had experience getting a Stan Lee sig verified by JSA yet.  I understand it is fairly new with CGC, but I have heard other companies that verify signatures have a very low acceptance rate on Stan Lee sigs because of how it has varied over the years and how often it is forged.  I wasn’t sure if JSA’s service was similarly tough.  

The selling value is less important to me at this point.  

Either way, I appreciate the info.

I think its hard to know about the CGC SS/JSA Stan Lee pass rate at this point.  Even if JSA had a specific reputation prior to acquisition, it would be hard for the public to know if CGC made any changes to the process or staff or training that would impact the authentication rates.  

I know that if I personally was not in a hurry, I would wait until CGC SS/JSA has their transitional kinks (from a verification/grading/slabbing/labeling/administrative perspective) worked out before I submitted.  Its not like your signatures are gonna be any more or less authentic 6-9 months from now, or that the grade of the book will change.  

Cool book for sure. Both sigs look legit. I’m a big Jim Lee fan! Looks like the book is high grade. If you like slabs for the look and you have disposable income then I say grade it! I probably would if I were keeping it for the pc.  If you’re thinking more about resale, it’s not a book that’s highly sought after so I don’t think you’d get all that much more profit if you sold it raw vs selling it verified and graded after you subtract verification fees, esp if it comes back below a 9.8. Just my two pennies

On 6/27/2024 at 4:27 PM, RobMadoo said:

Cool book for sure. Both sigs look legit. I’m a big Jim Lee fan! Looks like the book is high grade. If you like slabs for the look and you have disposable income then I say grade it! I probably would if I were keeping it for the pc.  If you’re thinking more about resale, it’s not a book that’s highly sought after so I don’t think you’d get all that much more profit if you sold it raw vs selling it verified and graded after you subtract verification fees, esp if it comes back below a 9.8. Just my two pennies

Thanks.  I’d be keeping it and not looking at resale value.  I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion.  

The comic obviously not valuable but a very cool 90's era Jim Lee cover...and the fact its signed by him and Stan makes it a very cool piece in my opinion. The sigs are definitely  the value here, they both command a premium now days...not sure how people value the JSAxCGC labels but if this checks out it is still a very cool book with 2 Marvel Legends on it. In my opinion those those sigs and CGC fees...I would not let it go for anything less than $300ish but obviously its worth whatever someone is willing to pay, might be a lot more. I think it is worth slabbing and sigs look right imo.