• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
2 2

43 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2024 at 12:09 PM, tth2 said:

:whatthe: (worship)

CGC 9.6 W Fantastic Four #1

Just noticed this in the previews for the September Signature Auction!  I almost skipped right past it thinking it must be a Golden Records copy, but then realized it was the real thing!

1 of 2 9.6 copies.  Brulato owns one of them, so I wonder who is selling this copy?

This is THE highlight of the silver Age comics offered so far and possibly all the comics in the auction.

Is Barton Landsman the seller?

On 8/6/2024 at 10:25 AM, Ghost Town said:

Nope.

Is this the same copy that you said that you were offered raw back in the day but passed on and it was purchased by another big collector and you were extremely surprised that it graded a 9.6?

On 8/6/2024 at 10:28 AM, greggy said:

Is this the same copy that you said that you were offered raw back in the day but passed on and it was purchased by another big collector and you were extremely surprised that it graded a 9.6?

I was offered a slabbed 9.4 that I passed on because I didn't think it was a sharp looking book. It was pretty dingy with some tanning.

I wouldn't have passed on a book that looked like this one!

On 8/6/2024 at 11:06 AM, Ghost Town said:

I was offered a slabbed 9.4 that I passed on because I didn't think it was a sharp looking book. It was pretty dingy with some tanning.

Oh, I thought it was a 9.6 so thanks for clearing this up. 

On 8/7/2024 at 1:01 AM, namisgr said:

Heritage sold the Curator AF #15 back in 2002 with the same serial number for $35,000.  Amazing, indeed!

Was the considered a crazy high price for a 9.0 AF 15 IN 2002? I Remember X-Men 1 CGC 9.0selling for around $10k at that time 

On 8/6/2024 at 4:39 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Was the considered a crazy high price for a 9.0 AF 15 IN 2002? I Remember X-Men 1 CGC 9.0selling for around $10k at that time 

Having never been in the high grade AF15 market, I couldn't tell you.  What stuck me about that sale is how much the book has appreciated since.

On 8/7/2024 at 2:06 AM, Ghost Town said:
On 8/7/2024 at 1:28 AM, greggy said:

This is the copy that Schmell used to own before selling it to Brulato.  I seem to recall him saying that it came out of a collection from Texas?

On 8/7/2024 at 4:39 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:
On 8/6/2024 at 11:01 PM, namisgr said:

Heritage sold the Curator AF #15 back in 2002 with the same serial number for $35,000.  Amazing, indeed!

Considering that the Diamond Run CGC 9.4 copy had sold for $80k (if I recall correctly) around that time, which was already a breathtaking number back then, $35k for a CGC 9.0 in 2002 must have seemed very strong, even for the Curator. 

On 8/7/2024 at 7:28 PM, tth2 said:

Considering that the Diamond Run CGC 9.4 copy had sold for $80k (if I recall correctly) around that time, which was already a breathtaking number back then, $35k for a CGC 9.0 in 2002 must have seemed very strong, even for the Curator. 

Great sales recording Tim👍 I remember now that ff1 diamond run cgc9.4 sale for $80k. Puts the AF 15 CGC 9.0 sale in perspective....back then a 9.2 was about double the value of a 9.0 and a 9.4 double the value of a 9.2.

So $35k for that AF 15 then was considered way above current market value 

On 8/7/2024 at 1:59 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Great find greggy 👌

Do you know the date that trade took place? Can't find that in the scoop article....

Huh?  

image.png.30ddc5eb29646a267f196fdc47e2d267.png

So we know Brulato received the 9.6 in the trade.  So is he the seller?  If so, what does that mean?  Is he finally selling off his collection?  Did he have doubles, and this 9.6 copy is the inferior copy? :ohnoez:

Edited by tth2

On 8/8/2024 at 6:44 AM, tth2 said:

So we know Brulato received the 9.6 in the trade.  So is he the seller?  If so, what does that mean?  Is he finally selling off his collection?

There are two 9.6s on the census as of the last census update.

The one for sale has a different serial number than the originally Schmell copy but that serial number is not longer showing on the CGC serial number verification so maybe an attempt of an upgrade resulted in a new number?

Brulato was in SDCC looking at slabs to upgrade and sell for a profit so he's still in the hobby as a buyer and seller