• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overspray question

9 posts in this topic

I've got what I think is a 9.8 candidate for grading.

But it has just a hint of overspray at the top of the back cover.

Should I even submit it with that overspray? They don't allow overspray for 9.8s right?  Even if it's minimal.

Edited by gadzukes

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 4:22 PM, joeypost said:

That’s a minor amount of ink. In the right hands it should be able to go “poof”.

Oh cool.  I didn't know that overspray removal was a thing.

So.... I'm guessing 9.8 with the overspray is not possible... it would have to be removed

Edited by gadzukes

On 6/22/2024 at 5:00 PM, gadzukes said:

Oh cool.  I didn't know that overspray removal was a thing.

So.... I'm guessing 9.8 with the overspray is not possible... it would have to be removed

I’ve seen 9.8’s with ink. 

Before considering all of this expense, remember, this book is a $20.00 book (raw) in high grade, there is only one graded copy that sold on an eBay auction in the last 3 month's (March 28 - June 10), it was a CGC NM+ 9.6 which sold for $50.00 with only one bidder. The other 11 that were sold (all raw) sold between $0.99 cents and $12.50, the $12.50 book was listed as "High Grade" and that also only had one bidder.

Obviously/Ultimately the final choice is yours, personally, I would place it in a Mylite W/Acid Free Board or if you want to display the book place it in a UV protected frame (CGC slabs are not UV protected) and Enjoy the book as is.

Currently there are 3 CGC NM/MT 9.8 copies selling on eBay, all are BIN (or best offer) so I would not put much faith in that since the seller can name/ask any price they want and wait for someone to actually pay the price, the 3 books are listed at $284.09, $375.00, $499.95 (listed as "Rare Newsstand Edition".)

I hope this info helps you to make an informed decision, either way, Enjoy The Book!!!

download.jpg

On 6/25/2024 at 12:11 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Before considering all of this expense, remember, this book is a $20.00 book (raw) in high grade, there is only one graded copy that sold on an eBay auction in the last 3 month's (March 28 - June 10), it was a CGC NM+ 9.6 which sold for $50.00 with only one bidder. The other 11 that were sold (all raw) sold between $0.99 cents and $12.50, the $12.50 book was listed as "High Grade" and that also only had one bidder.

Obviously/Ultimately the final choice is yours, personally, I would place it in a Mylite W/Acid Free Board or if you want to display the book place it in a UV protected frame (CGC slabs are not UV protected) and Enjoy the book as is.

Currently there are 3 CGC NM/MT 9.8 copies selling on eBay, all are BIN (or best offer) so I would not put much faith in that since the seller can name/ask any price they want and wait for someone to actually pay the price, the 3 books are listed at $284.09, $375.00, $499.95 (listed as "Rare Newsstand Edition".)

I hope this info helps you to make an informed decision, either way, Enjoy The Book!!!

download.jpg

all good points.

In addition I don't think I can say the book is a 9.8 as I see enough defects in the posted picture that would make me lean towards being more conservative in my grading and then not submit it.