• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a color rub a 9.8 Killer?

7 posts in this topic

Wanted to submit my childhood GHOST RIDER 1 (1990) - My most prized possession back in well, 1990  :)

Wanted to submit it but I decided to give it a quick look and noticed that there is a color run on the back at the staple - Thats like the ONLY flaw...

Is this a 9.8 killer?

IMG_5430.jpg

IME CGC is far more harsh on tiny color rubs than multiple spine hits!  Never made sense to me..

Sorry to say that yep it is a 9.8 killer. With that rub a 9.6 is the highest realistic grade at least at this point in time.

BTW love you forum name, I'm a big original "V" fan.

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/24/2024 at 9:48 PM, Cnight said:

Unless you can find that exact defect to be a recurring one in that same issue (e.g., multiple 9.8’s with the same defect): then you probably are capped at a 9.6 like @MAR1979 said.

I had that figured for Marvel Super Special 16 when I submitted it,  but I was wrong, thus I may very well have the nicest looking 9.6 in existence  :)

Edited by MAR1979

The bindery tear at the top will prevent this book from grading any higher than a NM 9.4

NM+ 9.6 - GM 10 - No bindery tears are allowed,

NM 9.4 - Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted.

There is no more mention of Bindery Tears until you get to FN 6.0 and then it becomes a spine split.

FN 6.0 - There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break.