• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Ronin Question

12 posts in this topic

The series was a bomb and issues #4-6 were not ordered in nearly the same quantity as the much anticipated issues #1-3....i liked the run but most people were dis-appointed with Miller's work as it was so far away from what he did on DD.

The series was a bomb and issues #4-6 were not ordered in nearly the same quantity as the much anticipated issues #1-3....i liked the run but most people were dis-appointed with Miller's work as it was so far away from what he did on DD.

Unfortunately, it was a bomb back then because it was leagues ahead of its time! Only now is it more fully appreciated. The art is also spectacular, with both pencils AND inks by Miller (try finding Miller inks! Not that easy!). I highly recommend it to those who have not read it.

Best,

Unfortunately, it was a bomb back then because it was leagues ahead of its time! Only now is it more fully appreciated. The art is also spectacular, with both pencils AND inks by Miller (try finding Miller inks! Not that easy!). I highly recommend it to those who have not read it.

Best,

You are absolutely correct in saying it was ahead of it's time (by 20 years!!)...I was just typing too quick to put everything down...look at Sin City now...people eat it up. I really did love the Ronin run but most of the pblic could not get into it. Did Miller do the colours too, or was that his wife Lynn?

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm, i thought ronin was pretty cool at the time. very different. never thought of it as a "bomb", but I wasn't really in the loop, being a kid or in junior high or whatever I was. There are gadjillions of #1 and #2 out there, so from that perspective, DC certainly made some money even if comic shops couldn't sell them all.

I think the $2.50 cover price had more to do with it than anything else. That was huge money back then for a younger collecting audience. You REALLY had to dig it to keep on shelling out $2.50. It really hurt my wallet hard.

Issue 6 came out months behind schedule.It was solicted/canceled/solicted/canceled so many times I think a lot of people just gave up on it and shop owners didn't order it.In addition,several distributors were in the process of going belly-up that year,so that may have made it even less available. Not that that really mattered.Ronin and Thriller were two of the biggest dogs of the early 80s.

Best,

100% agree. pretty sure the talented Ms. Varley did the colours