• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Sept 12-15
1 1

262 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2024 at 11:45 PM, batman_fan said:

It's time for me to come out of the closet, I never liked Heavy Metal as a teen and found Corben's artwork mediocre at best.

Boy that feels good to get out.

I always thought Heavy Metal was overrated, but I thought Corben was fantastic.  He's able to get such an amazing 3-D effect in his airbrushed work, and his straight pen & ink work is really good too.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:57 AM, tth2 said:

I always thought Heavy Metal was overrated, but I thought Corben was fantastic.  He's able to get such an amazing 3-D effect in his airbrushed work, and his straight pen & ink work is really good too.

I can't respect your opinion given you are such a big Peppermint Patty fan

:jokealert:

On 8/17/2024 at 1:36 AM, Bronty said:

you can't find a couple reasons  to like corben?

Corben definitely had an obsession with oversized female (and male) appendages.

This auction is thin for me except for some Charles Schulz stuff and the Spy v Spy which I doubt I will chase in a serious way unless prices look low.  There are some great pieces but I am sure they will go for way more than I would pay.

It's always amusing to compare early bidding on OA vs comics.  The bidding on comics at this stage tends to be very restrained and cagey.  In contrast, on OA there are a whole lot of thrill bids and/or price protection bids put in right from the start.

On 8/22/2024 at 1:08 AM, tth2 said:

It's always amusing to compare early bidding on OA vs comics.  The bidding on comics at this stage tends to be very restrained and cagey.  In contrast, on OA there are a whole lot of thrill bids and/or price protection bids put in right from the start.

I’ve noticed this with other art too .   More bidding up front and less at the end.   It’s easy to view it as protectionism but I’ve noticed that sort of bidding on my consignments too that I certainly didn’t goose up myself.    I wonder if it isn’t just a byproduct of the more certain values on the printed comics and a little mental feeling out on the art side.   

On 8/22/2024 at 9:17 PM, Bronty said:

It’s easy to view it as protectionism but I’ve noticed that sort of bidding on my consignments too that I certainly didn’t goose up myself.  

I don't think it's shilling (for the most part).  I think it's mostly people propping up prices of pieces that are similar to theirs.  So for example, when a Byrne X-Men piece is up for auction, owners of other Byrne X-Men pieces will put in bids to establish their floor price.  Some might put in more aggressive bids to juice the bidding because they want the Byrne X-Men OA market to appear strong and vibrant.

On 8/22/2024 at 10:16 AM, tth2 said:

I don't think it's shilling (for the most part).  I think it's mostly people propping up prices of pieces that are similar to theirs.  So for example, when a Byrne X-Men piece is up for auction, owners of other Byrne X-Men pieces will put in bids to establish their floor price.  Some might put in more aggressive bids to juice the bidding because they want the Byrne X-Men OA market to appear strong and vibrant.

Right, yeah.    Agreed.

Could someone explain why people bid for tracking on Heritage Auctions instead of using the Watch feature?  I understand on other auction formats that don't have an active tracking system but why on Heritage?