• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Sept 12-15
1 1

262 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2024 at 11:49 AM, Bronty said:

there was soooo much early bidding on it though, that the end result didn't really surprise.    Based on the early bidding I was wondering if it was going to scratch and claw towards 7 figs

I am surprised by the final hammer has nothing to do with early bidding. I never thought it would go to a million, only two American comic book artwork has hit the 1 million mark. One was a famous cover that people outside of comics knew the image and the other was a first appearance of the black costume, also very famous outside of comic book readers.

The Wolverine #1 is not famous at all out side of comics, even though it has Wolverine, he is not in costume. If you showed the image (without title) to someone outside of comics that would not know who it is. For John Buscema artwork that is way above his market. I figured it would go $300K-400k not $600K.

Edited by Brian Peck

On 9/13/2024 at 11:50 AM, stinkininkin said:

Holy spit! I never realized that! I was about to come on and say that this splash definitely underperformed, even taking into account that there are no actual Avengers on the page. But having a bunch of the artwork trimmed off around the edges is a stunning surprise to me! Avengers 93 is one of my all time favorite Adams comics, and I have several originals from the issue (and made a serious run at the cover about 15 years ago). That said, a TRIMMED page like this is a non starter (for me). In this light, the hammer seems HIGH now in hindsight (again, in my opinion).

Well, only JUST past the borders on three sides. But still.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:07 PM, Brian Peck said:

I am surprised by the final hammer has nothing to do with early bidding. I never thought it would go to a million, only two American comic book artwork has hit the 1 million mark. One was a famous cover that people outside of comics knew the image and the other was a first appearance of the black costume, also very famous outside of comic book readers.

The Wolverine #1 is not famous at all out side of comics, even though it has Wolverine, he is not in costume. If you showed the image (without title) to someone outside of comics that would not know who it is. For John Buscema artwork that is way above his market. I figured it would go $300K-400k not $600K.

yep, that all makes sense, but I have to admit my expectations shifted as a result of the early bidding.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:19 PM, Brian Peck said:

The Mephisto v #2 at 18K was higher than expected

The image is not one of his best covers. Mephisto is great but always thought the X-Factor images detracted from the over all image.

I'm sure there will be some strong results.    Just doesn't seem to be any results that are bringing on the usual cranial hemorrhaging.

On 9/13/2024 at 12:13 PM, drdroom said:

Well, only JUST past the borders on three sides. But still.

Maybe it's just me, but I've passed on desired pages that were cut to edge of the live art border. No actual art cut out at all, but still strikes me as effed up. Punch holes are fine, stains, and even the those jagged cuts that engravers did are all fine. Just how I'm wired. Your mileage may vary.

On 9/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, stinkininkin said:

Maybe it's just me, but I've passed on desired pages that were cut to edge of the live art border. No actual art cut out at all, but still strikes me as effed up. Punch holes are fine, stains, and even the those jagged cuts that engravers did are all fine. Just how I'm wired. Your mileage may vary.

Agreed! Panel borders are the soul of comics!

On 9/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, stinkininkin said:

Ditto, but I thought that was just a me thing… funny, I don’t mind buying covers and splashes missing all the stats though. 

On 9/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, delekkerste said:

I'm in a couple of chat groups following the auction...there have been more than a few lots that have come in below expectations. The Adams Av #93 splash, the Kane Conan #70 cover w/Belit, the BWS Weapon X page, the Miller DKR page, etc. 

To be sure, some pieces have exceeded expectations and a lot have met expectations, but, it does seem like more of a mixed bag than usual...so far. Of course, we've seen other auctions where the Platinum lots underwhelmed and then the main session was en fuego so it's far too early to draw definitive conclusions this early. 

smart guys here said HA was the only way to go for OA; next time Fischler gets my biz

image.gif.ab2d23fe9888fe9f0d35af34643eb23b.gif

On 9/13/2024 at 2:39 PM, Bronty said:

that did feel like the strongest result today (so far).    That said, as a long time Iron Man fan myself, that was always one of the IM covers I really liked.   I was expecting it to do well. 

Sucks to see a piece you sold go for much bigger money later though, I hear you.

Oh, I don’t mind that I sold it back in the day for $18K.  I was happy with that sale and I’m not complaining about it.

i thought it would go for around $50K this time around, and maybe, just maybe, I could have snuck in a cut bid and walked away with it.

oh well, something else will come along.  It always does.

On 9/13/2024 at 12:07 PM, Brian Peck said:

I parked it at $600k on the dot in San Diego.  Several others thought half that.  It was such a big piece for my friends and I growing up.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:43 PM, paperheart said:

smart guys here said HA was the only way to go for OA; next time Fischler gets my biz

Could also be indicative of broader market conditions, though. hm 

On 9/13/2024 at 1:14 PM, delekkerste said:

$13.2K for the Jack Kirby 2001: A Space Odyssey #2 cover. :eek: 

Great issue but not a strong cover. Has been floating around a bit as well. HA trying to pump it as "body horror" felt like kind of a Hail Mary.