• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Goodman Red Circle ⭕️ Pulps

66 posts in this topic

Hawt.  I wonder if 7 and/or 8 are Louise Alston, too?  I'll have to Iook a little closer at her comics covers and figure it out...

Both better than Leg Artist 🙂

On 7/20/2024 at 9:26 AM, Darwination said:

Hawt.  I wonder if 7 and/or 8 are Louise Alston, too?  I'll have to Iook a little closer at her comics covers and figure it out...

Both better than Leg Artist 🙂

#2 & 7 both look like the same hand as 12. Harry Schaare signed #8. 

Leg Artist is Top of the Bill :deadhorse:

On 7/20/2024 at 12:18 PM, Surfing Alien said:

#2 & 7 both look like the same hand as 12. Harry Schaare signed #8. 

Leg Artist is Top of the Bill :deadhorse:

Oops that should have read 2 and 7.  Not 100 percent sure they are the same artist, but I think so, too.  12 is Altson, I'd like to find a collector's copy of that one, already laid hands on a scanning copy.

https://womenincomics.fandom.com/wiki/Louise_Altson

Outside of the bib there, she also did interior splashes in the girls magazing comics as well in other types of Goodman mags.  She doesn't have a Fictionmags entry, but I've seen her in The American Weekly as well.

There was a recent board sale with a bunch of nice covers from her:

I've changed my opinion, this now the best Red Circle, even better than the Gross, so cute.

WhyGetMarried-TokenWest(1949.RedCircle12)coverLouiseAltson.jpg.08e7d530e358fb23d5f1c88b0a79ccc6.jpg

It's SO cool to me that the first 5 Marvel Science Stories feature the same "MARVEL" as the Marvel Mystery Comics issues #3-#8, with what I've always referred to as the "tippy little R" that would likely tip over if not for the V keeping it in place!  lol The weird things we collectors notice.

Marvel Science Stories 3.JPG

Title changes to Marvel Stories at some point. This issue (November 1940) features a one-page Human Torch story! Also noted in the indicia is that the interior story illustrations are done by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby! Here's an interior ad pic to go with the aforementioned photos.

Marvel Stories cover.jpg

Marvel Stories full page Human Torch comic ad.jpg

Marvel Stories table of contents.jpg

Marvel Stories house ad.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

Here we have Sky Devils v2 #! February 1940 which is bursting with ads for the new Marvel Mystery Comics line and even NEWER Daring Mystery Comics line! This pulp is worth seeking out for the house ads if nothing else! With the same cover date as Marvel Mystery #4 and Daring Mystery #2, this pulp was right there at the very beginning!

Sky Devils cover.jpg

Sky Devils table of contents.jpg

Sky Devils ad 1.jpg

Sky Devils ad 2.jpg

Sky Devils ad 3.jpg

Sky Devils ad 4.jpg

Sky Devils.JPG

Dynamic Science Stories #1 February 1939. Dynamic Science Stories always seemed to me to have the same relative connection to Marvel Science Stories as Daring Mystery Comics did to Marvel Mystery Comics in that both were released shortly after the Marvel titles, and both had a very similar name. The interior house ad pic shows some of the pulps Goodman had on the stands at that time. Still the better part of a year before we'd see a Goodman comic on the stands. 

Dynamic Science Stories 1 cover.jpg

Dynamic Science Stories 1 house ad.jpg

I'm not sure if Ben is looking for pre Red Circle pulps that would eventually carry the Red Circle logo, but I have some pre and post Red Circle Goodman pulps. 

Complete Western Book Magazine v5 #1. If memory serves, this title was the first Goodman pulp. I may be mistaken, and correct me if I am, but I think that's true. 

Complete western v5 1.jpg

Ok, here's a post Red Circle Goodman title which carries that familiar Marvel logo a few years beyond any comic sporting it: Marvel Science Stories from 1951. I don't have an interior pic handy to establish which volume and number this issue is. If I get a chance to dig it out, I'll come back and update this post with that info. 

Marvel Science Stories 1951.JPG

And finally, for tonight, here's an odd smaller sized Goodman pulp with a somewhat familiar title: Marvel Science Fiction, which I believe to be an early 50s issue. I'll update this post once I can dig it out and verify the volume and issue numbers. This one is a tiny sized copy, a goodly bit smaller than the standard pulp size.

Marvel Science Fiction.jpg

On 8/10/2024 at 10:33 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I'm not sure if Ben is looking for pre Red Circle pulps that would eventually carry the Red Circle logo, but I have some pre and post Red Circle Goodman pulps. 

Complete Western Book Magazine v5 #1. If memory serves, this title was the first Goodman pulp. I may be mistaken, and correct me if I am, but I think that's true. 

Complete western v5 1.jpg

Post them all 👍🏾😀

Actually, Goodman loved Westerns and I believe his first pulp was actually a western: 

Western Supernovel Magazine

(May, 1933) 

image.jpeg.5a99458ff98419719cf9076639b50b81.jpeg

On 8/14/2024 at 2:20 AM, Primetime said:

Post them all 👍🏾😀

Actually, Goodman loved Westerns and I believe his first pulp was actually a western: 

Western Supernovel Magazine

(May, 1933) 

image.jpeg.5a99458ff98419719cf9076639b50b81.jpeg

Interesting ... I thought it was a Complete Western from 1932 that was first. Just goes to show that you can learn something new every day if you frequent the boards! (thumbsu