• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Goodman Red Circle ⭕️ Pulps

66 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2024 at 7:08 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Interesting ... I thought it was a Complete Western from 1932 that was first. Just goes to show that you can learn something new every day if you frequent the boards! (thumbsu

I could be in error though 😆 

On 8/14/2024 at 10:47 AM, Primetime said:

I could be in error though 😆 

I got my info from Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics. On page 18 it says that in 1932 Martin Goodman and Louis Silberkleit formed Western Fiction Publishing with borrowed capital and produced their first pulp, Complete Western Book. Also, at the top left of the page, there's a photo caption stating that Complete Western Book was the first pulp for Goodman. However, on Wikipedia, it states that the Western Supernovel Magazine was the first and with the second issue, they changed the name to Complete Western Book. I don't know which is correct without doing some research. Either way, fun stuff!!!  :banana:

On 8/19/2024 at 5:57 PM, Primetime said:

This just arrived. 

April/May, 1939

Norman Saunders - Hitler cover 

Nearly two years before Goodman approved to put Hitler on the cover of Cap 1 (March, 1941), he had already done so on this pulp. 

VOW! @Ameri

IMG_8088.jpeg

Scary, cool cover!!!!

A total surprise Goodman pub I worked on tonight (though not a pulp).  Even with the same indicia publisher (Postal) as Marvel Science Stories and the Empire State publishing address, I went to the copyright registration cards for confirmation, and, indeed, there's Magazine Management:

Jubilee1950-09CopyrightCardMagazineManagement.png.4469a4d5b6ede12912168ecc6450e649.png

The one listed author in this magazine of cover to cover cheesecake is Jules Archer who was writing in the Red Circle/Lion line at the time, so that checks out, too.  I'd thought The Male Home Companion and the two issues of Stag were the sole biggest Timely/Atlas/Marvel pubs, but this one is over-sized too (but not slick).  Lone issue and frankly one reason I was surprised it was Goodman's is because the production values are strong :roflmao:

Jubilee v01n01 (1950-09.Postal) cover Janey Matthews (Darwin Edit)

Jubilee 1950-09 splash Fishing for Love 

Jubilee 1950-09 p048 Alley Queens

Silent film star Harold Lloyd at the opening of game show host Art Linkletter's LA bowling alley.

la-cienega-bowlng-1956-THE-MAN-IN-THE-VA

https://martinturnbull.com/2013/12/12/art-linkletters-la-cienega-lanes-bowling-alley-corner-of-santa-monica-la-cienega-west-hollywood/

Edited by Darwination