• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Original Book Cover Art Sells for $1.92 Million

94 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2024 at 3:48 PM, vodou said:

Yeah...I'm not doing that, not since 2002.

If that's 100% true, then there's no price at which you're buying this, because there's no way to make the image interesting.     So.   Someone offers you this piece for $50, you're not buying it?

I don't know how anyone passes that up, even if its for a flip.   Even buying it for a flip though is a tacit acknowledgement that it has value beyond the image, on the marketplace at least if not to you or I personally.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/28/2024 at 4:35 PM, vodou said:

Correct. It's garbage.

For $50, I'll swim in that garbage all day long (and toss it up in the air and let it hit me on the head).

c8ed9549fc095ec1419b0c60db9d9627.jpg

On 6/28/2024 at 4:35 PM, vodou said:

Correct. It's garbage.

That’s like Dave Ramsay saying he wouldn’t take 2 million dollar loan at 0% interest. 

Edited by Jeremyamoto

On 6/26/2024 at 11:34 AM, delekkerste said:

Wonder if the owner will come forward. I think it's the perfect kind of piece for the Lucas Museum and would love to see it displayed there. :wishluck: 

I would assume Bezos is the winner of this.

On 6/28/2024 at 10:03 PM, cstojano said:
On 6/28/2024 at 8:43 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

It would surprise me, actually. They are fans of the TV show, not the comic. TV show memorabilia? Yes. Walking Dead comic pages? No.

I don't follow closely but thought WD comic art very obviously peaked with a major collector selling out.

I think interest in the art declined as interest in the show declined.  So many people stopped watching it after Glen's death.

On 6/30/2024 at 10:02 AM, tth2 said:

I think interest in the art declined as interest in the show declined.  So many people stopped watching it after Glen's death.

Exactly when I checked out. Someone should study this phenomenon as its so, so common to hear people say the exact same thing. And I wasn't even a huge Glen fan or anything like that. 

On 6/30/2024 at 1:02 PM, tth2 said:

On 6/30/2024 at 1:08 PM, cstojano said:

Exactly when I checked out. Someone should study this phenomenon as its so, so common to hear people say the exact same thing. And I wasn't even a huge Glen fan or anything like that. 

That's when I stopped, along with most of my friends. We used to get together and watch. I think it was just too brutal and sad. I wasn't a Glen fan either. We knew what the show was and people were going to die, but no need to wallow in it.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:29 AM, Twanj said:
On 7/1/2024 at 1:02 AM, tth2 said:

On 7/1/2024 at 1:08 AM, cstojano said:

That's when I stopped, along with most of my friends. We used to get together and watch. I think it was just too brutal and sad. I wasn't a Glen fan either. We knew what the show was and people were going to die, but no need to wallow in it.

My impression is that he was a character that many people genuinely liked and were emotionally invested in, and the brutal way that he was killed turned them off.  To be fair to the show, Glen's death tracked the comic, so it's not like the show's creators were making this up.

I continued watching for a few more episodes, but the storyline was going nowhere and there was no more Glen & Maggie to keep me engaged, and Rick kept making asinine decisions, so I decided I was just done with it.

It would be interesting to know if the interest in WD OA was driven more by this storyline development or by the flood of OA that hit the market, or both things helped to create a perfect storm.

I half watched it (wasn't a huge fan but my wife liked it so I saw some it).   Can I just say that a less intriguing romantic plot that Rick and Michonne is hard to imagine.   There was zero on screen chemistry there.

That was towards the end as well and had me watching less as well.    I don't really remember the death of Glen.

Edited by Bronty

I stuck it out through the entire season and it was the worst one. The teleplay was 22 pages of this:

EXT. Savior’s Compound - Day

Rick and the gang pull up to the Savior’s Club House.

Guns

Buddabuddabudda. Rat-tat-tat-tat. Tzing. Ding. Brrrat-tat. Pew pew.

Yes to all of the above.

Wasn't Negan the third major bad guy nemesis at that point in the series? So in addition to the deaath scene I remember just feeling exhausted at having to start a whole new bad guy, new community set all over again.

On 6/30/2024 at 10:02 AM, tth2 said:

I don't know if that's really true.  Page 24 from issue #1 by Tony Moore sold on Heritage back in 2022 for $28.8k.  Very healthy pricing, so there must be some pretty decent interest.  I believe I have seen two other pages sell in the $15-20k range in the past two years as well. 

a post-apocalyptic soap opera with zombies. It was a prime time phenomena for a few years, but like most soap operas, the audience cycles in and out.  Here's recent sales on HA, and highest sales on HA. Only 3 pieces have ever broken 5 figures, and only 32 have broken 4 figures. I find the interior art to be very dull and sparse. The decompressed story telling, digital lettering, and computer coloring and effects make the art especially unappealing.  I'll take the OA from any Marvel or DC title's first 193 issues (the main titles full run) over this. WD OA market was pegged agains the pop-culture popularity from the get-go and drops just as fast.

image.png.eb1326491323f915bcfcbcd8af97e37e.pngimage.thumb.png.ce777f760b3d1b9e63013b96562c50e0.png

On 7/1/2024 at 8:17 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

a post-apocalyptic soap opera with zombies. It was a prime time phenomena for a few years, but like most soap operas, the audience cycles in and out.  Here's recent sales on HA, and highest sales on HA. Only 3 pieces have ever broken 5 figures, and only 32 have broken 4 figures. I find the interior art to be very dull and sparse. The decompressed story telling, digital lettering, and computer coloring and effects make the art especially unappealing.  I'll take the OA from any Marvel or DC title's first 193 issues (the main titles full run) over this. WD OA market was pegged agains the pop-culture popularity from the get-go and drops just as fast.

image.png.eb1326491323f915bcfcbcd8af97e37e.pngimage.thumb.png.ce777f760b3d1b9e63013b96562c50e0.png

Frankly. The art never appealed to me anyway. And without the cache of the show, it's not that attractive to own. 

I really loved the comic personally.  For modern Indie books, I am a big fan of The Walking Dead, Saga, and Something Is Killing the Children.  Saga art is few and far between due to it mostly being digital.  SIKTC art tends to go for big dollars as Werther was pretty selective about what he released.  Interesting on TWD pricing though.  Thanks @MyNameIsLegion for the research.  That helps create some perspective.  I think the issue one pages that have sold aren't listed, which obviously command bigger hammers, but I don't recall where they all sold.  Could have been CLink on a few.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, Xatari said:

I really loved the comic personally.  For modern Indie books, I am a big fan of The Walking Dead, Saga, and Something Is Killing the Children.  Saga art is few and far between due to it mostly being digital.  SIKTC art tends to go for big dollars as Werther was pretty selective about what he released.  Interesting on TWD pricing though.  Thanks @MyNameIsLegion for the research.  That helps create some perspective.  I think the issue one pages that have sold aren't listed, which obviously command bigger hammers, but I don't recall where they all sold.  Could have been CLink on a few.

I missed this one in my search. doh!There was a page from #1 that sold in 2022 on HA for a decent sum, this might be the biggest: I’d thought it was Clink, and maybe it had been on their previously, I’m not sure. 

IMG_5904.thumb.png.5340349313142faef09f334f3475c51d.png

I think the hospital page where Rick wakes up sold recently as well. That page you found for $28.8k is probably the best of the book though. Sheriff costume and zombie kill. 

On 7/2/2024 at 10:25 AM, Xatari said:

Speaking of SIKTC, it feels like we need a thread for it hm

Huge book, Netflix series (maybe) and great artistic team. I was lucky to pick up my fav cover from the series :banana: