• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009)
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Still motoring along on this, still on the 1st season (I can only watch it before bed after Dad has turned in).

It bothered me that Leoben quickly got into Starbuck's head like that. Just another point that religion makes people do dumb chit.

Also silly that Baltar wouldn't report that Boomer was tested as a Cylon, at least directly to Adama so he could internalize it between himself and Tigh or whatever. That character is definitely my most disliked on the show with Number 6 (when she's around him) being a close second. With the other Cylons Number 6 is perfectly fine as a character, IMHO.

Having gone through the series three times over the years and another with commentaries and all the extended footage episodes, it is something that gets better for me each time. I feel it ends as strongly as it begins.

High point has to be those mentioned earlier as well as Lees speech during Baltars trial.

On 7/27/2024 at 11:44 AM, ThothAmon said:

Just bought the entire series for summer vacation.  Report to follow. 

:headbang:

Okay the tied-for-second most annoying character on the show just arrived...Ellen Tigh. Can't stand her, right from the jump. I had forgotten how much of a twit she is.

In fact, I had forgotten the character entirely. Lol.

Bill Duke’s role was perfect for him. I was never familiar with Dana Delaney, but she brought the heat as a terrorist/freedom fighter.

R.I.P. Billy Kakaya

On 8/1/2024 at 9:15 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Watch. Tombstone. NOW.

Wait, Tombstone the movie? I just watched that this past weekend for the 40th time. Is she the actress love interest of Wyatt Earp?

On 8/2/2024 at 10:53 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Wait, Tombstone the movie? I just watched that this past weekend for the 40th time. Is she the actress love interest of Wyatt Earp?

As Bosco said, YES. :cheers:

She was also the voice of Andrea Beaumont in Batman : Mask of the Phantasm.

You know, it's really annoying how the Cylons want nothing to do but annihilate the human race and there are people on the "good guys" side that don't want the Cylons completely wiped out.

It's the single most dumbest thing about the show.

On 8/5/2024 at 9:58 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

You know, it's really annoying how the Cylons want nothing to do but annihilate the human race and there are people on the "good guys" side that don't want the Cylons completely wiped out.

It's the single most dumbest thing about the show.

I think it goes back to Adama's speech at the end of the miniseries about how we treat our creations. A constant theme through out the series and one of the main reasons I hold the show in high regard. I'm a fan of Asimov's robots at heart, but here there are no three laws. The cylons are figuring out who and what they are and we have to deal with the consequences of our actions.

On 8/5/2024 at 7:58 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I always likened this to a reflection of our society - there are people who want to see the "good" side of those who exhibit extreme behavior (I'm trying not to be political here lol ) and people that hope for the best so vehemently that they militantly refuse to see it any other way. BSG was always good for giving the viewer the flipside of a common perspective. I always figured this philosophy for the Cylon Sympathizers.

On the other hand, we have the episode we're talking about above with Wyatt Earp's girlfriend. They see their government working with the cylons, and choose to take action to protest about it - we, as the viewers - see the whole story, but the characters taking over the club only see what Adama/Roslin allow them to see and are left having to fill in the gaps with emotion and guesswork. The fun part about that episode is to sympathize with the "terrorists" that took over the club and understand why they did what they did, will poor Billy dying in the process. One of the many episodes in BSG that is a pyrrhic victory - which is one of my favorite plot concepts in entertainment: I love stories that have victories for the good guys but that come at a high emotional or physical cost - I think it makes for compelling character development.

The time on New Caprica was an excellent representation of that (so good, that IIRC the cast and creators were invited to speak about the topic at the U.N. back in like 2007 or 2008). We saw humans from the terrorist perspective (Al Qaida) and the Cyclons reacting from the liberators perspective (Allied Forces) - I really enjoyed that arc, and personally - wished it had spanned more episodes during the season. The occupation, rescue and fallout of that storyline is probably my favorite part of the show.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/15/2024 at 6:15 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

*sigh*

Dee just shot herself.

I've seen it before and it's still a tremendous punch in the gut. I still get choked up.

The worst moment in the series for me, bar none.

Agreed. My wife watched the show once the whole way through years ago with me, and that is her single most-remembered part of the show. Unbelievably sad, and it was insanely unexpected the first time around. But, in terms of the story: it showed how much everyone really liked Dee's character, and was - like you said - a gut punch when it happened.

For me, it's up there with Edgar dying in '24' as the saddest, most unexpected death in a show's run.