• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada USA CGC forum sales best payment options
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of posting some books on the CGC forum sellers area.

I am Canadian and if selling to an American what would be the best/easiest payment options for the buyer with low or no fees for buyer/seller besides paypal goods and services..?

Thanks in advance

On 7/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, marf said:

I am Canadian and if selling to an American what would be the best/easiest payment options for the buyer with low or no fees for buyer/seller besides paypal goods and services..?

Thanks in advance

I think it is most common for paypal goods and services to be used here on the boards.

Have no idea how easy it is to cross borders with these, but in the US we sometimes use Venmo, Zelle, or the Cash App.  Could certainly consider travelers checks.  I have no idea how these compare with paypal, especially with international.

Posted (edited)

That’s the best option unless you are willing to accept checks and wait for them to clear. You would also need a US bank account in Canada.

If you go the PP route just make sure the payments are sent to you in USD - there is a Dropbox in PP - otherwise PP will automatically exchange into CDN dollars for you, which you won’t want as their FX is horrible 

Edited by Jordysnordy

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 2:59 PM, marf said:

Thanks in advance

As someone who buys more than sells here, I've bought plenty from Canadian sellers, and I always send Paypal G&S in USD (which is what the sellers requested). I don't think anyone has had a problem so far. And I've completed a ton of transactions with my neighbors to the north...

letterkenny-canada-gooses.gif.bafa832dcf1a01cd57d72e353be48bfa.gif

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 7/3/2024 at 5:31 PM, marf said:

Thanks everyone! Yes I have a US bank account in Canada as well so could do cheque route as well :)

I would advise against that. It takes a few weeks for US cheques to clear after you deposit. That is why I set up wire transfers with auction houses for payment on my consignments.

The best option is what was suggested above - Paypal G&S in USD.

On 7/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, kimik said:

It takes a few weeks for US cheques to clear after you deposit.

Depends on the bank. Some are faster than others. Over a dozen transactions from US buyers who sent cheques, and the longest my bank took to send the 'all clear' notice was 4 business days.

On 7/4/2024 at 2:20 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Depends on the bank. Some are faster than others. Over a dozen transactions from US buyers who sent cheques, and the longest my bank took to send the 'all clear' notice was 4 business days.

I'm one of them, and checks to you, pickycollector, crassus, aelelarkin and etc have cleared pretty quickly.  There's been some noise about the US Federal Reserve and its Canookistan equivalent needing to "agree on the exchange rate" which seems like pure nonsense to me, but, you know, gubmint.

I'd also note that I think it's best for a seller to accept as many types of payment as they are comfortable with.  I do not have PayPal, and when I see a thread where that's the only option, I just move along.

I almost hit the Take it on a substantial SA key yesterday, but the seller didn't take PayPal. I've been told Zelle and Venmo don't offer buyer protection nearly as well as PayPal.

On 7/2/2024 at 9:12 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

always send Paypal G&S in USD

I to have done this at the request of my Canadian brethren. I know it’s because PayPal takes too big a haircut when it comes to the exchange rate but I’m not sure if the sellers leave it in US dollars to buy themselves from US sellers or for another reason?  Maybe they can chime in and say what they do with these mythically strong dollars?💵 💪 

On 7/8/2024 at 8:38 AM, ThothAmon said:

Maybe they can chime in and say what they do with these mythically strong dollars?💵 💪 

I always assumed they filled their bathtubs with poutine and swam around in it like Scrooge McDuck, munching on all-dressed chips and Timbits and washing it all down with bagged milk while they watched curling. (shrug)

On 7/8/2024 at 10:19 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

I always assumed they filled their bathtubs with poutine and swam around in it like Scrooge McDuck, munching on all-dressed chips and Timbits and washing it all down with bagged milk while they watched curling. (shrug)

Maybe I should include a small bag with every box of comics I send to the US. Maybe it will help my sales threads lol 

On 7/8/2024 at 9:38 AM, ThothAmon said:

I to have done this at the request of my Canadian brethren. I know it’s because PayPal takes too big a haircut when it comes to the exchange rate but I’m not sure if the sellers leave it in US dollars to buy themselves from US sellers or for another reason?  Maybe they can chime in and say what they do with these mythically strong dollars?💵 💪 

This is the main reason for me. I do have a US bank account also so if I ever decide to withdraw I will do so in USD and not let PP do the FX.