• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Summer Edition Season 3 (#11) Round 1
18 18

147 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/24/2024 at 10:13 PM, John R said:

Sorry @CGC Mike - I was away and didn't see any messages until tonight. - Good luck to everyone remaining in the contest.

No worries.  Look for the Fall Edition signup thread on October 1st.  :)

On 7/25/2024 at 2:57 AM, CJ Design said:

According my ETA cheat sheet (a great guide from someone who submitted 1000's of books) one staple CF detached can be as high as 9.0

completely detached CF is 7.0 max...of course these are stating points as if the rest is great.

Oh absolutely, I use the CGC official guide so the Staple Detached (p216) has a grade range of 5.0 to 9.0 - so my book was well within grading ranges, it's just not something I like in my collection.

The book looked like an 8 from external appearances, so the extra defect felt very...kindly graded. Whilst if the book had looked like a 9.4 on the exterior and I opened her up and found a detached staple i'd have been a lot more sanguine over it.

Edited by SpidersComics

On 7/26/2024 at 5:10 AM, SpidersComics said:

Oh absolutely, I use the CGC official guide so the Staple Detached (p216) has a grade range of 5.0 to 9.0 - so my book was well within grading ranges, it's just not something I like in my collection.

The book looked like an 8 from external appearances, so the extra defect felt very...kindly graded. Whilst if the book had looked like a 9.4 on the exterior and I opened her up and found a detached staple i'd have been a lot more sanguine over it.

I would feel the same way, but my true personal "no can do" is rusty staples

I thought the max for a detached centerfold was 4.0?

Maybe I'm reading the grading guide wrong?

Also, I guess I learned not to overthink. My initial impressions were closer than my final impressions. 

Edited by newshane

On 7/26/2024 at 7:44 AM, newshane said:

Also, I guess I learned not to overthink. My initial impressions were closer than my final impressions. 

Detached is not the same as Staple Detached (usually - unless the book only has one staple).

On 7/24/2024 at 12:57 PM, CJ Design said:

completely detached CF is 7.0 max...of course these are stating points as if the rest is great.

I thought mine was a 7.5, but I was wrong...it's merely a 7.0...which I still found quite shocking...seems I still have it;)

wow1370.thumb.jpg.29216c7380dcd03e4acb7d036a1ee5d3.jpg

Edited by skypinkblu

On 7/26/2024 at 10:44 AM, newshane said:

Cover completely detached is a 4.0 max.  Centerfold completely detached is a 7.0 max.