• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Summer Edition Season 3 (#11) Round 3
14 14

131 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2024 at 11:46 PM, skypinkblu said:

I guess they are moving around, it's supposed to be a farewell tour. It was good, but really, really long, John Waite was an opening act. We left before the encore for Foreigner, the place was packed, it was hot and there was so much beer going around I wanted to get out of the parking lot before the drinkers were on the road.

Audience seemed to love it, so I hope you have a great time.   We saw Creedance Clearwater Revival a few weeks ago with John Fogarty at the same venue. That concert was fantastic, if he's playing near you, I'd recommend it!

Holy Cow!  I never thought John Fogarty would ever play with CCR ever again.  I'm jealous!

On 7/31/2024 at 10:27 PM, toro said:

Holy Cow!  I never thought John Fogarty would ever play with CCR ever again.  I'm jealous!

He just bought back the rights to all his songs and the name of the band from the company who basically stole them from him when he was still a teenager. I don't even know if the other band members are alive...but his family sings with him.

He's 78 or 79.and still can sing...and even jump a little.

We saw him a few years ago...just about at the end of Covid. and he could not use the name or all of the songs, stage was pretty dark.  This concert was much brighter and he kept crowing" I got my songs back" I think he played every one I could remember.

On 7/31/2024 at 11:36 PM, skypinkblu said:

He just bought back the rights to all his songs and the name of the band from the company who basically stole them from him when he was still a teenager. I don't even know if the other band members are alive...but his family sings with him.

We saw him a few years ago...just about at the end of Covid. and he could not use the name or all of the songs, stage was pretty dark.  This concert was much brighter and he kept crowing" I got my songs back" I think he played every one I could remember.

I've seen John Fogarty perform in concert and he is absolutely fantastic. Some of the former members of CCR still perform as well under the name Creedance Clearwater Revisited.

I was going to chime in on John Fogerty as well. My late dad was a fan for years, and now I am too. I saw JF in 2019 and 2023, both shows at Radio City Music Hall. I'd give the edge to 2019 by a whisker but both were phenomenal shows.

I highly recommend his autobiography Fortunate Son, it's fascinating and at times very funny as he is a terrific storyteller, and I keep going back to it. There's a pretty dark thread running through it too; it seems like he has likely suffered from major depression or something akin to it his whole life in addition to his more public battles. 

As Cushing Fan notes, the CCR drummer and bassist toured for a long time as Creedence Clearwater Revisited; they have not played with John in many decades and I believe they've now officially retired that outfit. Once I read JF's book and took in just how much he hates his former bandmates, I have the sense that playing with his family is almost like a funny kind of therapy for him, taking his classic songs from that darker time and 'redoing' them live with his loved ones. His getting the rights to his songs back after 50+ years of struggle is a really lovely and unexpected bit of closure.

That's awesome. 

I'm doing the oldies tour this year.  Saw the Stones with Mick and Keith in their 80s.  The Temptations with their oldest member in his 80s. Chicago with most of their original members in their late 70s.  Earth Wind and Fire with members in their 70s.  And John Lodge of the Moody Blues at 81.  Also did the Happy Together Tour where most performers were in their 70s and 80s.

lol I'm seeing Green Day lol 

One of the band's that most of any generation that would just ask "why?" ??? 

Spoiler

to that I don't know, other than I wanted too. I don't really agree with a lot of their personal stuff, but I listened to them along with reading the Bible through hard decisions I made.

May sound too personal, but I too had to start somewhere after being naive with my walk, it is somewhere in there a "something" of gratefulness for "coming through" and even if "I can't articulate eloquently!" :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I saw him also around that time and I thought he was really good and quite energetic for his age. Could tell he was really happy to be singing all his big hits again and I think he liked the the outdoor venue. :headbang:

On 8/2/2024 at 5:38 PM, Morganmi said:

I saw him also around that time and I thought he was really good and quite energetic for his age. Could tell he was really happy to be singing all his big hits again and I think he liked the the outdoor venue. :headbang:

Yep yep! All this. There was also a period through the 1970s and 80s where he made his albums by playing all the parts himself, which took an incredibly long time... I think it was the ultimate 'I've been burned by collaborators too many times so screw it all' kind of move, some combination of depression and just deeply not trusting others. With that context in mind, to see him on stage vibing with his children and other crack musicians is even more lovely. The live songs are incredible of course, but it's also heartwarming to see him in a much, *much* better state of mind.

On 8/4/2024 at 6:28 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

That's an impressive high grade for that label  :whatthe:

I've had similar with detached at top staple, but never fully detached :popcorn:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM