• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing/Grading Issues - Gut Check
2 2

3 posts in this topic

I just received my first CGC submission back in the mail

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4416353001/

And have mixed feelings.  I could use a gut check/thoughts as I'm new to this!

Issues:

1. There are 3 scratches on the case (Wolverine claws????) as well as a bit of scuffing - which aren't apparent in the photos.
    2. Inside the case there is some crud? Trapped with the comic (which isn't in the pictures).
    3. The grader notes mention:
        A. crease left bottom of back cover
        B. crease right bottom of front cover
        C. stain right bottom of back cover
None of these creases or stains were on the book I sent in (see attached for picture of the front cover prior to sending in). Not sure when they happened but I'm not super happy.

4. Before sending in the book I noticed some small imperfections including
        A. A small faint dent on the top front and back cover - likely from some sort of clip and hanging on a comic shop wall for a few years.
        B. Some spine stress
        C. Some rippling
        D. A bit of dirt on the spider-man logo on the back cover
Because of these issues I selected and paid for pressing - however all of these imperfections are still present and it doesn't look like the book was pressed at all and it likely would have also fixed some of the creasing noted by the grader.

At the very least I'd like it re-slabbed due to the scratches but am wondering if it would be worth it to be re-pressed?  I don't expect it to be a 9.8 but I also don't feel like I got what I paid for. Is it possible to press a signed comic? I'm also worried about it ending up in worse condition!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

91BFAC7F-C090-4D04-B090-B2666644684D_4_5005_c.jpeg

At first I thought it was possible that they switched books, but the stain below Hulk's left foot is the same (which they noted as back cover, not front cover, unless there's another one).

It's possible that diagonal bottom right crease occurred during the signing. A re-pressing won't help that.

I think the best you are going to get is a reholder. I can't see CGC determining that they were responsible. But best to ask and present your offer of proof.

Sorry that this happened to you.