• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About This Real Life Comics Ish
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I am semi familiar with this series and cover and I know usually it’s titled “Real Life Comics” but I have this copy where it is titled different. I live in Canada and wondered if it was just a Canadian edition? Nothing on the inside indicates such…and I can see one other such copy on eBay but there is no indication of why it is titled differently.

IMG_9890.jpeg

There has also been some previous speculation on these Boards that "Comics" was replaced by "Picture Magazine" in an attempt to appeal to a more adult customer.

CGC does not label them as Canadian.

reallife2.thumb.jpg.673f18594c3ce1370df3ca053af5266a.jpg

On 7/23/2024 at 5:59 AM, vheflin said:

Real Life Comics on the GCD says under notes:

"Some issues distributed in Canada under the title Real Life Picture Magazine."

https://www.comics.org/series/12490/

I have never used GCD, so I took a look using your link. Thanks for that.  I was surprised that some of the covers by Schomburg were not noted as his work.  One book had a "?" after his name as being the cover artist.  I own the book and his signature is in the lower left on the cover.  I don't know who does the research for that site, but somebody needs to learn what Schomburg art looks like, especially how he draws explosions.   There's more than a few un-credited Schomburg covers on there, including the famous Hitler cover on issue #3.  :whatthe:

Maybe there just aren't enough collectors who care about accurate info...hm

On 7/27/2024 at 1:09 AM, Tri-Color Brian said:

I have never used GCD, so I took a look using your link. Thanks for that.  I was surprised that some of the covers by Schomburg were not noted as his work.  One book had a "?" after his name as being the cover artist.  I own the book and his signature is in the lower left on the cover.  I don't know who does the research for that site, but somebody needs to learn what Schomburg art looks like, especially how he draws explosions.   There's more than a few un-credited Schomburg covers on there, including the famous Hitler cover on issue #3.  :whatthe:

Maybe there just aren't enough collectors who care about accurate info...hm

GCD, like Wikipedia and various other wikis, is a crowd-sourced/non-profit effort maintained by volunteers.  I belive you can sign up and make corrections, additions, etc.  The fact it exists is probably proof that collectors do want access to accurate, searchable information.  Without sites like it chronicling history (to an extent), eventually nobody's going to know or remember anything about the Golden Age. :(

Edited by Telegan

On 7/27/2024 at 12:05 PM, Telegan said:

GCD, like Wikipedia and various other wikis, is a crowd-sourced/non-profit effort maintained by volunteers.  I belive you can sign up and make corrections, additions, etc.  The fact it exists is probably proof that collectors do want access to accurate, searchable information.  Without sites like it chronicling history (to an extent), eventually nobody's going to know or remember anything about the Golden Age. :(

Maybe I should sign up and fix some stuff... hm :sumo: lol