• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New keys on the block.
3 3

23 posts in this topic

This thread is intended to highlight modern books emerging as keys in this comic age.   The main criteria to be considered a key, is seeing consistent high prices, and rising prices, consistent past an initial price rise.    

The older the modern book, the better.  

In honour of Deadpool vs Wolverirne coming out this week, I have three books that have wrestled their way into key position.

No surprises right away, out muscling prices of all the other books in the series, Wolverine #88 from 1994, the first meeting of Wolverine and Deadpool.

Available in three versions.

Regular, Deluxe Edition, and Deluxe Edition / Newsstand Edition.   This last version is currently fetching $1,500 for CGc 9.8 copies.

image.thumb.png.4ede797a06be6a5044ace202d471a278.png

I have to confess this book took me a little bit my surprise, but it has shown consistent sales well above every other Weapon X book.  

This iconic BWS cover does all the heavy lifting.

This book in CGC 9.8 condition will set you back $450 currently.

image.thumb.png.8e604e5f13a4a61823dbf4f769dfb6f6.png

On 7/21/2024 at 4:38 AM, Microchip said:

In honour of Deadpool vs Wolverirne coming out this week, I have three books that have wrestled their way into key position.

No surprises right away, out muscling prices of all the other books in the series, Wolverine #88 from 1994, the first meeting of Wolverine and Deadpool.

Regular, Deluxe Edition, and Deluxe Edition / Newsstand Edition.   This last version is currently fetching $1,500 for CGc 9.8 copies.

That non-deluxe cover is the real toughie...

On 7/21/2024 at 11:42 AM, Microchip said:

I have to confess this book took me a little bit my surprise, but it has shown consistent sales well above every other Weapon X book.  

Nowadays is someone paying 300-400$ for 9.8 when a raw NM is like 15$? 

On 7/21/2024 at 2:45 AM, Microchip said:

Lastly, a book that has started to calm down in price, with a CGC 9.8 Newsstand copy costing around the $600 mark.

image.thumb.png.ef2da90570034ddf186a486da40ea38f.png

That crossover was so awesome to read of the stand as a kid. I was surprised it took so long for prices to pop on it.

On 7/22/2024 at 4:50 PM, godzilla43 said:

Nowadays is someone paying 300-400$ for 9.8 when a raw NM is like 15$? 

Looking into it, It's the second highest subbed book in the run, and it's the only issue in the run where the 9.6's out number the 9.8 copies.    Only 96 9.8's and demand from on all the Wolvie fan's out there, equals $450.    

On 7/22/2024 at 5:19 PM, kimik said:

That crossover was so awesome to read of the stand as a kid. I was surprised it took so long for prices to pop on it.

I'm waiting for issue 7 for some popping as well.   Issue 8 has the cover on it's side.  

Funnily enough Hulk #347 has slipped down to a $100 book in 9.8, as the first appearance of Joe fixit.   So arguably it's the combination of Wolverine and Hulk that people love.   The book joins Hulk, 180-182, and 340 for the same character's in the issue.  

On 7/21/2024 at 6:38 PM, Microchip said:

Incidentally some of the art of this issue went up for auction on Comicconnnect just recently.

image.thumb.png.015dc0d165ab11b309df8147a832899c.png

image.thumb.png.b7635b72a08267531e3af09f1967c0c9.png

On 7/21/2024 at 3:45 AM, Microchip said:

Lastly, a book that has started to calm down in price, with a CGC 9.8 Newsstand copy costing around the $600 mark.

image.thumb.png.ef2da90570034ddf186a486da40ea38f.png

With the Newsstand barcode on the back of this issue.  It makes it more elusive when browsing comics at stores.  A great book that sells quickly in mid grade also.

On 7/22/2024 at 1:34 PM, Topnotchman said:

With the Newsstand barcode on the back of this issue.  It makes it more elusive when browsing comics at stores.  A great book that sells quickly in mid grade also.

Barcode-on-back newsstands are an absolute nightmare to find. You can't quickly spot them flipping through boxes. You can't quickly spot them in online listings. This book is still a significant-enough issue on its own merits that you'll often get back-scans online, but... still.

For a lot of barcode-on-backs, especially (but not exclusively!) near the end of the newsstand era, copies that are sitting in boxes, unable to be identified, might as well not exist. 

On 7/21/2024 at 3:42 AM, Microchip said:

Newsstand is on the back of this one also.  It’s a tough in grade with spine ticks.   It’s also tough for CGC to remember to identify back cover Newsstands. I’m still sending quite a few back for reholder. 

Price still doesn't make keys. So this thread has no keys ("new" or not) and only 1 post-Copper (but not truly Modern at 30 years old) book.

On 7/22/2024 at 1:34 PM, Topnotchman said:

With the Newsstand barcode on the back of this issue.  It makes it more elusive when browsing comics at stores.

That wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't :censored: up the price box. Well, not for anyone who actually knows anything.

On 7/22/2024 at 11:25 AM, Microchip said:

Looking into it, It's the second highest subbed book in the run, and it's the only issue in the run where the 9.6's out number the 9.8 copies.    Only 96 9.8's and demand from on all the Wolvie fan's out there, equals $450.    

Last 9.8 sold in ebay for 400$ which is still really good. I dunno if in future there will be a thing called "CGC 9.8" for these modern books because of the 9.9 prescreen (and maybe PSA grading also) but it probably will be atleast 200$ 9.8. The 9.6 seems to be going for 100$. That kinda makes me mad. Like yeah I can see a profit like 15-20$ NM + press and CGC so maybe 30-40$ profit but still sellers who does this they kinda just make more hard to move books. Also I don't think census really matters in a book like this because who is submitting this than maybe a person who found a 20 copies from some storage to do a prescreen.

I can see two keys. Wolverine 88 which is now a definitely a key because there is actual movie called Deadpool & Wolverine so this first meetup actually matters. Also Wolverine 8 is a classic cover but not a modern book.

Edited by godzilla43

On 7/23/2024 at 5:08 PM, godzilla43 said:

Last 9.8 sold in ebay for 400$ which is still really good. I dunno if in future there will be a thing called "CGC 9.8" for these modern books because of the 9.9 prescreen (and maybe PSA grading also) but it probably will be atleast 200$ 9.8. The 9.6 seems to be going for 100$. That kinda makes me mad. Like yeah I can see a profit like 15-20$ NM + press and CGC so maybe 30-40$ profit but still sellers who does this they kinda just make more hard to move books. Also I don't think census really matters in a book like this because who is submitting this than maybe a person who found a 20 copies from some storage to do a prescreen.

I can see two keys. Wolverine 88 which is now a definitely a key because there is actual movie called Deadpool & Wolverine so this first meetup actually matters. Also Wolverine 8 is a classic cover but not a modern book.

That will be interesting, to see once a few 9.9's start popping up.   Though the 9.6 price is a giveaway that this book has genuine interest past just the 9.8-grade-queens (GQ's) out there.    Thats the real litmus test on a book, what do the lower grade copies go for.   And with modern books, that's only 9.6, and 9.4 grades. until you get to the absolute grail books in the era.

On 7/23/2024 at 3:42 AM, Microchip said:

That will be interesting, to see once a few 9.9's start popping up.   Though the 9.6 price is a giveaway that this book has genuine interest past just the 9.8-grade-queens (GQ's) out there.    Thats the real litmus test on a book, what do the lower grade copies go for.   And with modern books, that's only 9.6, and 9.4 grades. until you get to the absolute grail books in the era.

Why would 9.9s start popping up now?

On 7/23/2024 at 2:08 AM, godzilla43 said:

I can see two keys. Wolverine 88 which is now a definitely a key because there is actual movie called Deadpool & Wolverine so this first meetup actually matters. Also Wolverine 8 is a classic cover

Wow. I'm honestly not sure which argument is worse.

The first meeting of Wolverine and Deadpool is notable, but it is not important. Throwing two popular characters together in a movie doesn't change that.

Popular covers are not important, even if there is a consensus that they're classic, which isn't the case for Wolverine 8 anyway.