• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Need Advice as to How to Best Sell Issues #2 - #24 Of The Brave and the Bold
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I have issues #2 - #24 of The Brave and the Bold, which include stories with the Viking Prince, the Silent Knight, and Robin Hood. I have read all these issues, and I would like to sell them so I can purchase an upgrade to some other books in my collection. There are several issues in nice shape (VG/F), but most issues fall in the Fair/Good range. All the issues are complete, except for one issue that has a coupon cut out that doesn't affect the story. Some of the issues have some water damage.

For all these issues, I have taken pictures of the front cover, the interior cover/first page, the pages where the staples are, the last page/interior cover, and the back cover. 

So, as I see it, I have three options. 

First, I can try and sell each issue individually here. The pro side of this is that I will likely earn more money this way. The con side of this is that I will need to buy 25 Gemini mailers, and I will have to provide grades for each issue. I feel that I am a semi-competent grader, but I don't want my reputation destroyed if I mis-grade a book (or books).

Second, I can try to sell the issues as a lot here. The pro side of this is that this will mean less work for me. The con side is that I will likely earn less money, and my grading skills can still be called into question.

Third, I can try to sell the issues as a lot to a place like MyComicShop or Heritage Auctions. The pro side of this is that this will mean far less work for me, and MCS/HA will do the grading for me. The con side is that I will earn even less money.

I have even thought about asking people to share their opinions regarding the grades. For example, I could put all the pictures into my Google drive, and I could share this folder with whomever is interested. I would offer each person that participates (a limited number) a $15 PayPal payment.

I would really like these books to go to a good home. Any suggestions as to the best method to sell these books would be greatly appreciated.

I would put them on here one at a time....grade them as you think ( you have been doing this a long time) and include front and back photos and also closeups of areas of concern that gave it that grade.....peeps on here can decide....good luck

You've laid out the choice here pretty accurately, I think.  I'm a big advocate of selling on the Boards (or at least trying that first) and that choice seems to be best for meeting your goal (which I read as raising as much money as possible from these books to upgrade other books).  I would sell them individually but note in the thread that if someone wants to buy the whole lot, it's available at price $X (at, of course, some discount to buying them individually from you).  That deal would of course go away if someone claims one of the books.

I also agree, though, that MCS would be much simpler and could save you money on the back end and certainly a lot of work.

Take front and back scans of everything and list them here as a lot at a price you would be happy with knowing that it will be just one package to mail out.  If it doesn't sell, you already have your scans and can start listing them here individually.  Offer discounts for purchasing multiple books to lessen the number of orders to package up and mail.

Good luck with the sale

I'd say, start with the scans - you'll want them anyway even after you sell 'em.  Grade them as best as you can, note any defects, and price them all out.  I'd offer them here first to maximize profit.  It's a decent amount of work, as I just discovered with a sales thread of my own, but it'll pay off.  The USPS has enough free supplies that you can use.  Of course I stockpiled packing materials from purchases to help out.  

I considered MCS (still am) so consider that your end all option.  Whatever the case, GOOD LUCK!  :fourleafclover:

Unless they are really low grade, I think MCS would take most of those books on consignment as individual books.   That lowers their fees quite a bit. You'd have to look at each book and see what they take. 

While the boards are free, there are some drawbacks. You can take a lot of pictures, spend a lot of time grading the books and writing out descriptions and then not sell anything. Also, I've had a few that didn't bother to read the accepted forms of payment, claim a book, then hoot and holler because they can't pay with Zelmo or Velly or in some other way that I don't accept. Then they promise to get you out a money order for 3 weeks and never do. But yeah, it's free. 

One way I haven't seen mentioned as a possible selling avenue is to sell to one of the many dealers on here. I know Ricky (Bedrock City) buys comic books and might be interested in store stock. Obviously, you won't get full retail, but it'd likely be a one plop stop, getting them all gone for a lump sum. Just an option. 

I've only purchased from MCS but have heard good things about them. I've heard they grade very tight, but that's good. They're certainly worth looking into. 

It might be a good idea to throw a pic of the stack into your opening statement in this thread. It may prompt someone to approach you privately.   (shrug)