• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp, PB, and Hardback DEALERS ONLINE
1 1

21 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2024 at 7:54 AM, BitterOldMan said:

I am a long time customer of 

https://www.kayobooks.com/

Maria Mendoza and husband, Ron Blum, have many more books at their brick and mortar store in one of San Francisco’s edgier neighborhoods.  Due to eBay recent censorship policies, they created their own website, but have much more in stock at the store.

Kayo Books rock! I always try to pay them a visit when I am in the Bay Area. They also do the yearly LA Paperback show in March. Always my first stop. I picked up this group of very fairly priced digests and comics at the last show. VERY recommended folks!

IMG_8494.jpeg

IMG_8491.jpeg

On 8/6/2024 at 1:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Kayo Books rock! I always try to pay them a visit when I am in the Bay Area. They also do the yearly LA Paperback show in March. Always my first stop. I picked up this group of very fairly priced digests and comics at the last show. VERY recommended folks!

IMG_8494.jpeg

IMG_8491.jpeg

Those look like the kind of girls you don't take home to Mama. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

One name I didn't add yet is Graham Holroyd, a dealer with a nearly legendary reputation, because I have yet to order from him. This is due more to my funding shortages on the discretionary front. I notice he doesn't provide images and seems to be exclusively on www.abebooks.com , where many of the heavyweights are. Jim Payette also provides no images on his website, and I've bought from him, sight unseen, for decades. His grading is THAT tight. GOD BLESS...

On 8/7/2024 at 8:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

One name I didn't add yet is Graham Holroyd, a dealer with a nearly legendary reputation, because I have yet to order from him. This is due more to my funding shortages on the discretionary front. I notice he doesn't provide images and seems to be exclusively on www.abebooks.com , where many of the heavyweights are. Jim Payette also provides no images on his website, and I've bought from him, sight unseen, for decades. His grading is THAT tight. GOD BLESS...

I've bought a LOT from Holroyd.  He grades well in general and has been quick when there's been problems, but I have the impression he's a one person operation so buying very cheap books from him can be a bit of a gamble... but one that has paid off for me far more than it hasn't.

Also, allow me to pile on the love fest for KAYO Books that others have started.  Flat out my favorite currently operating bookstore, even if I only get there about once a year and missed it my last couple visits because of their recent move.  If you ever get a chance to go in person do so, although I've bought from them online as well.

On 8/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, OtherEric said:

I've bought a LOT from Holroyd.  He grades well in general and has been quick when there's been problems, but I have the impression he's a one person operation so buying very cheap books from him can be a bit of a gamble... but one that has paid off for me far more than it hasn't.

I was very pleased with a large recent order from Holroyd.  Grading was slightly dicey but it really all came out in the wash spread over a bunch of books, I just chalk it up to old school grading.  VG or almost NF covers a lot of ground :D

On 8/7/2024 at 11:35 AM, Darwination said:

I was very pleased with a large recent order from Holroyd.  Grading was slightly dicey but it really all came out in the wash spread over a bunch of books, I just chalk it up to old school grading.  VG or almost NF covers a lot of ground :D

Is his grading on paperbacks better than on hardcover books?  Bought a book from him last year and wasn't particularly impressed with the grading.  Made me leery of buying any paperbacks from him as his listing practices gave me the impression he's just bulking stuff out and not really paying attention to details.

I don't know. Out of an order of ten books, I thought maybe 2 were off grade.

Would I drop a big sum on a book I expect to be truly fine from him?  Maybe not.   Would I feel comfortably paying market for upper midgrades or lower high grades? Yes. Am I comfortable with the fact I'm getting the actual edition I'm ordering? Yes.  Sometimes he has so much stock, I get the feeling he's grading/pricing some books in accordance with the quality of the particular copies he has on hand.

I've not bought any hardcovers from him.  The whole abebooks/biblio world minus pictures is new to me.  Most sellers will send you a picture, but many just ignore the requests.  There's been a lot more blindness in my paperback purchases than I'd allow for comics or pulps (the low price point on many pbs makes that leap of faith a little easier).

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 4:44 PM, Darwination said:

I don't know. Out of an order of ten books, I thought maybe 2 were off grade.

Would I drop a big sum on a book I expect to be truly fine from him?  Maybe not.   Would I feel comfortably paying market for upper midgrades or lower high grades? Yes. Am I comfortable with the fact I'm getting the actual edition I'm ordering? Yes.  Sometimes he has so much stock, I get the feeling he's grading/pricing some books in accordance with the quality of the particular copies he has on hand.

I've not bought any hardcovers from him.  The whole abebooks/biblio world minus pictures is new to me.  Most sellers will send you a picture, but many just ignore the requests.  There's been a lot more blind faith in my paperback purchases than I'd allow for comics or pulps (the low price point on many pbs makes that leap of faith a little easier).

Several entities provide pictures. What I do is find a seller who has several interesting items and I'll filter out everyone except their listings. I can then screen with buzz words or other quantifiers like "date listed} or "highest price first", or lower if so, be it. Only caveat there is you will discover MANY items that you want that you didn't even know existed.  GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

I've gotten so many great books from Graham: his depth of inventory reaches into the obscure corners I frequent. I think his grading is generally good enough -I suspect some stuff has sat in the warehouse a long time- and I often look to see if he has a copy a grade higher which can up the condition quotient for a buck or two. I am an old-school midgrade enthusiast: I like clean and tight, square and bright, and readable. Here's one just in from him:

montanavixen.jpg

CIMG5330.JPG

On 8/7/2024 at 2:04 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

and another:

greenlightfordeath.jpg

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying, what was his listed grade for those books?

On 8/7/2024 at 10:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

If you ask him for photos he will send them. He also seems to have many more books than he has listed on his site or on abebooks. I bought a copy of Jane Gaskell's The Serpent (Frazetta cover) from him a few months ago that was around near fine shape. It wasn't listed anywhere. I just asked if he had a copy. He sent me photos and his asking price was less than half what it normally sells for.

Sometimes asking is getting. :smile:

On 8/7/2024 at 5:59 PM, alecholland said:

If you ask him for photos he will send them. He also seems to have many more books than he has listed on his site or on abebooks. I bought a copy of Jane Gaskell's The Serpent (Frazetta cover) from him a few months ago that was around near fine shape. It wasn't listed anywhere. I just asked if he had a copy. He sent me photos and his asking price was less than half what it normally sells for.

Sometimes asking is getting. :smile:

I receive books for an overseas pal, and he got a package from Graham with some VERY scarce books in it. I'm so new I have to see what I want as I go. I do have some specific wants that I will try with him with as funds permit. I know Lowell speaks highly of him. GOD BLESS ... 

Graham Holroyd has a price guide and condition section in that book but If you are a high grade condition freak you will be frustrated by his grading. As others have stated and my experience is the same there are always some dicey grades in any given order. I will forget about him-then the bug  will hit and I notice his lisitings on ABE. See some nice high grade books in his inventory and wonder why I haven't ordered more from him-get the order and then I remember why I haven't ordered more from him!lol  His inventory is vast -which probably prevents him from posting photos of covers-but I wish he would add more.
Tried  many book sellers on ABE-don't order unless they post a picture-more times than not the grading is terrible.