• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blacked out certification numbers. Why?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Sometimes they’re afraid of others stealing the number for registry purposes 

others are paranoid about sharing information 

On 8/7/2024 at 7:43 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Just curious. Why do some collectors black out the certification numbers on pictures of their graded books when posting them to a thread?

It makes it more difficult to determine what the seller paid for the book and prevents people from using the scan for illicit purposes.

However, when they do steal my image of my book or item, and four times they have, I like to embarrass them which usually gets them kicked out of the Facebook group. 

:devil:

On 8/7/2024 at 10:43 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Just curious. Why do some collectors black out the certification numbers on pictures of their graded books when posting them to a thread?

I agree with others that people are just paranoid about sharing information (Blur out licenses plates, etc).  But yeah, stealing a picture of a book with a cert number is sleazy, and could lead a buyer to think you are legit.  Slightly related - a few years back, my wife and I had a condo for sale, we eneded up finding out that a realtor we were not dealing with stole our pictures and had them on her website as property she represented.  BIZZARE.

A few years ago, I bought a CGC book at an MCS auction for a great price and re-offered it at a decent price. I mentioned I'd won the book here and that it was intended as a flip.  An occasional poster asked me if I would sell it privately.  I said it was at MCS and he could make me an offer if  $800 was too high.  Knowing I'd just paid $600+ for the book a week before, he offered $480

On 8/9/2024 at 2:07 PM, shadroch said:

A few years ago, I bought a CGC book at an MCS auction for a great price and re-offered it at a decent price. I mentioned I'd won the book here and that it was intended as a flip.  An occasional poster asked me if I would sell it privately.  I said it was at MCS and he could make me an offer if  $800 was too high.  Knowing I'd just paid $600+ for the book a week before, he offered $480

That's when you respond with my words.

"I could not accept such a low offer even if I had to support a drug habit."

On 8/9/2024 at 12:34 PM, Neo "The One" said:

I agree with others that people are just paranoid about sharing information (Blur out licenses plates, etc).  But yeah, stealing a picture of a book with a cert number is sleazy, and could lead a buyer to think you are legit.  Slightly related - a few years back, my wife and I had a condo for sale, we eneded up finding out that a realtor we were not dealing with stole our pictures and had them on her website as property she represented.  BIZZARE.

I am seeing more of it ever since someone used a picture I posted here of a lego set I picked up.  Then they tried to use that picture to claim they had possession of it and then sell it to us in a Facebook Group.  I outed her since if you are going to scam me, at least try to scam me with something that is not mine.  She was banned from the group and I made sure word got around to a few other groups.  It would not stop her but it did lead to several changes in those facebook groups that items could not be posted for sale without including a post it on the item of the date it was posted. 

The scammers are getting good. 

On 8/10/2024 at 11:13 AM, NoMan said:

I'm guessing you haven't had a drug habit.

I mean… Lego?

On 8/10/2024 at 11:13 AM, NoMan said:

I'm guessing you haven't had a drug habit.

Agreed those who need a fix would have sold it for quick $50. Never underestimate the need for a junkie to get a quick fix. The drugs or lack thereof are in Total control.

BTW I do get @Buzzetta rather humorous comment :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2024 at 10:56 AM, MAR1979 said:

Agreed those who need a fix would have sold it for quick $50. Never underestimate the need for a junkie to get a quick fix. The drugs or lack thereof are in Total control.

BTW I do get @Buzzetta rather humorous comment :)

I bought at least four souls when I worked as a doorman.  I gave one guy $10 for his when he showed me a faded tattoo to back up his claims of being a vet.